Heartworm and MDR1

Breed: 1. Aussie, 2. Lassie
I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella is mutant/mutant, Khodi Normal /mutant. Isabella especially get very sick on heartguard and both are mildly on advantix. Ivermectin, Milbemycin, Selamectin and Moxidectin are all on the list of drug sensitivities for MDR1 positive dogs. What can I use for heart worm prevention?

Ultimately this is a question that needs to be answered by your vet as they are aware of which heartworm medications are the most effective in your area.

However, all of the products that you have mentioned are considered safe for dogs with an MRD1 mutation. Even though they contain a tiny amount of ivermectin or a derivative of ivermectin it has been shown to be extremely safe at the dosages contained in these drugs.

I wrote an article that discusses her these dosages and what is safe for these dogs by with an MDR1 mutation.

What kind of reaction do the dogs have? If dogs are reacting to ivermectin the reaction is usually a neurological one. You can see tremors and twitching and things like that. If that is not what you were seeing then there may be something other than ivermectin sensitivity going on.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of an alternative for you.

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (93107 views)

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (11939 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (34776 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (32529 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (25251 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (11129 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (26552 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (100402 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (20640 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (10633 views)