Heartworm and MDR1

Breed: 1. Aussie, 2. Lassie
I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella is mutant/mutant, Khodi Normal /mutant. Isabella especially get very sick on heartguard and both are mildly on advantix. Ivermectin, Milbemycin, Selamectin and Moxidectin are all on the list of drug sensitivities for MDR1 positive dogs. What can I use for heart worm prevention?

Ultimately this is a question that needs to be answered by your vet as they are aware of which heartworm medications are the most effective in your area.

However, all of the products that you have mentioned are considered safe for dogs with an MRD1 mutation. Even though they contain a tiny amount of ivermectin or a derivative of ivermectin it has been shown to be extremely safe at the dosages contained in these drugs.

I wrote an article that discusses her these dosages and what is safe for these dogs by with an MDR1 mutation.

What kind of reaction do the dogs have? If dogs are reacting to ivermectin the reaction is usually a neurological one. You can see tremors and twitching and things like that. If that is not what you were seeing then there may be something other than ivermectin sensitivity going on.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of an alternative for you.

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (25237 views)

Pale gums and seizure. Hi, 2 months ago buddy would go outside and if he would run/play hard he would come... (11482 views)

Brain and thyroid cancer. Hello Dr. Marie, I'm so sad to say I lost my boy cancer last week. We first... (15138 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (33875 views)

Flea dirt around nipples? She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance... (41652 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (7827 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (43294 views)

Blood at end of urine stream. My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central... (17892 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (26252 views)

vet question Dear Madame Veterinarian: Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've... (11257 views)