Heartworm and MDR1

Breed: 1. Aussie, 2. Lassie
I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella is mutant/mutant, Khodi Normal /mutant. Isabella especially get very sick on heartguard and both are mildly on advantix. Ivermectin, Milbemycin, Selamectin and Moxidectin are all on the list of drug sensitivities for MDR1 positive dogs. What can I use for heart worm prevention?

Ultimately this is a question that needs to be answered by your vet as they are aware of which heartworm medications are the most effective in your area.

However, all of the products that you have mentioned are considered safe for dogs with an MRD1 mutation. Even though they contain a tiny amount of ivermectin or a derivative of ivermectin it has been shown to be extremely safe at the dosages contained in these drugs.

I wrote an article that discusses her these dosages and what is safe for these dogs by with an MDR1 mutation.

What kind of reaction do the dogs have? If dogs are reacting to ivermectin the reaction is usually a neurological one. You can see tremors and twitching and things like that. If that is not what you were seeing then there may be something other than ivermectin sensitivity going on.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of an alternative for you.

Can dogs eat fruits and vegetables? Can dogs eat vegatbles or fruits. Thank... (12174 views)

Wheezing, sneezing kitten. my kitten is 3 and a half months old recently she has been sleeping a whole lot and... (13895 views)

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (6907 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (17561 views)

Dog spay incision lump. My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a... (120788 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (8676 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (16744 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (10296 views)

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (10906 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (14262 views)