Heartworm and MDR1

Breed: 1. Aussie, 2. Lassie
I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella is mutant/mutant, Khodi Normal /mutant. Isabella especially get very sick on heartguard and both are mildly on advantix. Ivermectin, Milbemycin, Selamectin and Moxidectin are all on the list of drug sensitivities for MDR1 positive dogs. What can I use for heart worm prevention?

Ultimately this is a question that needs to be answered by your vet as they are aware of which heartworm medications are the most effective in your area.

However, all of the products that you have mentioned are considered safe for dogs with an MRD1 mutation. Even though they contain a tiny amount of ivermectin or a derivative of ivermectin it has been shown to be extremely safe at the dosages contained in these drugs.

I wrote an article that discusses her these dosages and what is safe for these dogs by with an MDR1 mutation.

What kind of reaction do the dogs have? If dogs are reacting to ivermectin the reaction is usually a neurological one. You can see tremors and twitching and things like that. If that is not what you were seeing then there may be something other than ivermectin sensitivity going on.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of an alternative for you.

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (5266 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (7725 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (6198 views)

Lipoma on a dog. Hi Dr. Laurie, You gave me such great advice on my cat Bobo, I'm writing about my... (3966 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (21222 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (11326 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (4337 views)

Spinal cord lymphoma Hello Dr. Marie, Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move... (8005 views)

Swollen foot and death in a dog. I am seeking for an answer what could be the reason my dog can hardly breathe and... (13169 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (9645 views)