Heartworm and MDR1

Breed: 1. Aussie, 2. Lassie
I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella is mutant/mutant, Khodi Normal /mutant. Isabella especially get very sick on heartguard and both are mildly on advantix. Ivermectin, Milbemycin, Selamectin and Moxidectin are all on the list of drug sensitivities for MDR1 positive dogs. What can I use for heart worm prevention?

Ultimately this is a question that needs to be answered by your vet as they are aware of which heartworm medications are the most effective in your area.

However, all of the products that you have mentioned are considered safe for dogs with an MRD1 mutation. Even though they contain a tiny amount of ivermectin or a derivative of ivermectin it has been shown to be extremely safe at the dosages contained in these drugs.

I wrote an article that discusses her these dosages and what is safe for these dogs by with an MDR1 mutation.

What kind of reaction do the dogs have? If dogs are reacting to ivermectin the reaction is usually a neurological one. You can see tremors and twitching and things like that. If that is not what you were seeing then there may be something other than ivermectin sensitivity going on.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of an alternative for you.

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (16772 views)

Stop dog fighting. Hi I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will... (4283 views)

Milk coming out nose. Hi my dog has just had pups 5 weeks ago an since day one, one of the puppies has... (22172 views)

Keep dachshund from jumping? Hello, About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind... (9960 views)

Can a dog be born with rabies. does dog have rabbies when they were... (12965 views)

Insulin shock Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have... (6008 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (7697 views)

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (110415 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (11913 views)

Anxious lab. He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son... (5228 views)