Hairless cat skin problem.

Breed: Hairless-not sure if
I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the metal had been touching her skin. I figured it might have irritated it due to her sensitive skin. I left off the collar and the spot has seemed to get bigger. It's about the size of a quarter now and dry and scabby. When I see her scratching it I stop her, but it's very red and I'm worried because it did get bigger after I originally found it. How should I treat this little sore? Is this something I need to look out for due to her being hairless?

Thanks for your question.

It is really common for hairless cats to have skin problems.

It is possible that it is just a simple skin irritation, but if this were the case it shouldn't be getting bigger.

My guess is that the collar irritated the skin and then the irritated skin got infected. If there is a bacterial skin infection then it will probably need to be treated with oral antibiotics that you would have to get from your vet. Sometimes creams such as polysporin or neosporin will help for a short while but usually something stronger is needed.

It is also possible that Stanley has ringworm which is a fungal infection. This is not as common as a bacterial infection though.

If the spot continues to get bigger then a vet visit will likely be necessary.

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (7889 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (37998 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (7466 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (8779 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (8505 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (16861 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (7613 views)

Paraneoplastic syndrome? In 3/2013 after suffering 2 "seizures," Clark was diagnosed with insulinoma from... (6592 views)

Get rid of parvo virus. I have a general question about Parvo virus, Its a very very common virus I know,... (26596 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (8823 views)