Hairless cat skin problem.

Breed: Hairless-not sure if
I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the metal had been touching her skin. I figured it might have irritated it due to her sensitive skin. I left off the collar and the spot has seemed to get bigger. It's about the size of a quarter now and dry and scabby. When I see her scratching it I stop her, but it's very red and I'm worried because it did get bigger after I originally found it. How should I treat this little sore? Is this something I need to look out for due to her being hairless?

Thanks for your question.

It is really common for hairless cats to have skin problems.

It is possible that it is just a simple skin irritation, but if this were the case it shouldn't be getting bigger.

My guess is that the collar irritated the skin and then the irritated skin got infected. If there is a bacterial skin infection then it will probably need to be treated with oral antibiotics that you would have to get from your vet. Sometimes creams such as polysporin or neosporin will help for a short while but usually something stronger is needed.

It is also possible that Stanley has ringworm which is a fungal infection. This is not as common as a bacterial infection though.

If the spot continues to get bigger then a vet visit will likely be necessary.

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (7128 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (21471 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (18698 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (8173 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (11737 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (10787 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (14091 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (43010 views)

Swollen ear flap. i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to... (12970 views)

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (57029 views)