Hairless cat skin problem.

Breed: Hairless-not sure if
I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the metal had been touching her skin. I figured it might have irritated it due to her sensitive skin. I left off the collar and the spot has seemed to get bigger. It's about the size of a quarter now and dry and scabby. When I see her scratching it I stop her, but it's very red and I'm worried because it did get bigger after I originally found it. How should I treat this little sore? Is this something I need to look out for due to her being hairless?

Thanks for your question.

It is really common for hairless cats to have skin problems.

It is possible that it is just a simple skin irritation, but if this were the case it shouldn't be getting bigger.

My guess is that the collar irritated the skin and then the irritated skin got infected. If there is a bacterial skin infection then it will probably need to be treated with oral antibiotics that you would have to get from your vet. Sometimes creams such as polysporin or neosporin will help for a short while but usually something stronger is needed.

It is also possible that Stanley has ringworm which is a fungal infection. This is not as common as a bacterial infection though.

If the spot continues to get bigger then a vet visit will likely be necessary.

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (15682 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (9207 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (7916 views)

Lipoma on a dog. Hi Dr. Laurie, You gave me such great advice on my cat Bobo, I'm writing about my... (5763 views)

Ear infection and FIV. Hi, I got Monty from a rescue home 5 months ago. he is an fiv + cat and looked so... (6298 views)

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (14841 views)

Sore leg in a cat. I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is... (29727 views)

Dog had a seizure. My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack... (12712 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (10854 views)

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (7596 views)