Hairless cat skin problem.

Breed: Hairless-not sure if
I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the metal had been touching her skin. I figured it might have irritated it due to her sensitive skin. I left off the collar and the spot has seemed to get bigger. It's about the size of a quarter now and dry and scabby. When I see her scratching it I stop her, but it's very red and I'm worried because it did get bigger after I originally found it. How should I treat this little sore? Is this something I need to look out for due to her being hairless?

Thanks for your question.

It is really common for hairless cats to have skin problems.

It is possible that it is just a simple skin irritation, but if this were the case it shouldn't be getting bigger.

My guess is that the collar irritated the skin and then the irritated skin got infected. If there is a bacterial skin infection then it will probably need to be treated with oral antibiotics that you would have to get from your vet. Sometimes creams such as polysporin or neosporin will help for a short while but usually something stronger is needed.

It is also possible that Stanley has ringworm which is a fungal infection. This is not as common as a bacterial infection though.

If the spot continues to get bigger then a vet visit will likely be necessary.

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (9152 views)

Natural allergy remedies. Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of... (9316 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (10013 views)

Gray spot near a dog's penis. My dog has gray spot on the bottom by his penis is this normal? He never had them... (11105 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (8670 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (6722 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5118 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (9267 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (9808 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (13159 views)