Hairless cat skin problem.

Breed: Hairless-not sure if
I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the metal had been touching her skin. I figured it might have irritated it due to her sensitive skin. I left off the collar and the spot has seemed to get bigger. It's about the size of a quarter now and dry and scabby. When I see her scratching it I stop her, but it's very red and I'm worried because it did get bigger after I originally found it. How should I treat this little sore? Is this something I need to look out for due to her being hairless?

Thanks for your question.

It is really common for hairless cats to have skin problems.

It is possible that it is just a simple skin irritation, but if this were the case it shouldn't be getting bigger.

My guess is that the collar irritated the skin and then the irritated skin got infected. If there is a bacterial skin infection then it will probably need to be treated with oral antibiotics that you would have to get from your vet. Sometimes creams such as polysporin or neosporin will help for a short while but usually something stronger is needed.

It is also possible that Stanley has ringworm which is a fungal infection. This is not as common as a bacterial infection though.

If the spot continues to get bigger then a vet visit will likely be necessary.

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (28433 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (35196 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (29087 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (22195 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (13387 views)

High bile acids Hi Dr. Marie Over the course of the past 9 months, my dog Oreo's liver enzymes... (51766 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (11193 views)

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (8202 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (8050 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (16102 views)