Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Did my cat suffer?

Species: Cat
Breed: Shorthair
Age: 1-2 years
Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend found him the next morning around the corner of our neighbor's house.
He had been hit by a car.
He seemed not to have tried to move after being hit. The blood vessels in his ears all burst, he had blood coming out of his eyes, nose and mouth. Blood had also shot out of all of his claws. Although his body hadn't ruptured I saw a red line of blood running from his upper chest down to his pelvis.

My question is how long do you think he might have suffered before he died? Or was it instantaneous? Does the bleeding out mean that if he was alive after the car hit him, would he most likely have been unconscious?

Thank you. It just breaks my heart to think if he suffered alone by himself for a long time.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh the poor guy. It sounds like he had significant head trauma if he had blood in his ears and eyes. If this was the case then he would have been knocked unconscious before he died and as such would not have been aware of anything.

We'll never know for certain but I think the chances that he could have been still alive after a hit like this and also be conscious for any length of time is extremely small.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (11556 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (5689 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (21556 views)

Lump with open sores. Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds... (27941 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (11781 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (23968 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (12474 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i think my dog is pregnet she has big nipples and she is getting lazy she was in... (5590 views)

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (24417 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (10355 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.