Maltese has bald spot on head.

Breed: Maltese
We have a two year old Maltese that had a small bald spot on her head when we got her as a puppy. When the hair didn’t grow back and she started scratching the spot until it would bleed, we got her tested for allergies. It turned out that she was allergic to some of the ingredients in her food and her diet was changed to avoid those ingredients. After all these changes her hair still has not grown back and her skin pigmentation is turning black on her head and around the ears. We have considered taking her to a pet dermatologist but it is very expensive. Can you offer any recommendations before we pay hundreds, maybe thousands trying to cure her skin problem? I have a picture that I can send if you provide your e-mail.

Thank you,
Derrick Kennedy

Hi there Derrick and thanks for your question about Tyche. You can send your picture to drmarie@askavetquestion.com and I'll have a look at it and let you know what I think!

Hi Derrick...just wanted to let you know that I am going offline for the night. I'll keep an eye out for your email and send you a response in the morning!

Thanks for the photos Derrick. That's certainly some unusual looking skin!

Is she still itchy? If not, it may be that whatever the problem is, it is gone, but there may be damage to the hair follicles and the hair may not grow back.

However, if she is still itchy there has to be something that we can treat. While allergies can cause skin problems it is quite unusual (but not impossible) for them to just affect the top of the head. We usually see itchiness in the feet and inside of the ears of an allergic dog.

If this were my case, I would be doing the following tests. (Likely some of these have been done by your vet already). I would do a skin scraping to look for parasites such as demodex or sarcoptic mange. I would also do a fungal culture to rule out ringworm. Likely she's already been tried on antibiotics, but that is something I would try as well.

Some little dogs like maltese dogs can get hair loss on their head because of too much use of an elastic. Sometimes this hair loss is permanent. However, it shouldn't really cause her to be itchy.

If all of the tests have been done and there is no answer then the next step is a skin biopsy. This really should tell us what the cause of the problem is. Your regular vet should be able to do a biopsy with a local anesthetic and some sedation (unless Tyche is a very uncooperative dog in which case she may need a general anesthetic).

With all that being said, sometimes it is less expensive to just see the specialist. These vets see all of the "unusual" cases and they may be able to pinpoint the problem with fewer tests.

I hope this information helps! Let me know if you need more clarification at all.

4 year old cat not eating. My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She... (5433 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (11076 views)

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (8838 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (22778 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (10866 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (11125 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (14745 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (4738 views)

Bad odor from dog's behind. I have a border Collie-lab male 4 year old dog. About a week go I noticed that my... (11845 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (29800 views)