Maltese has bald spot on head.

Breed: Maltese
We have a two year old Maltese that had a small bald spot on her head when we got her as a puppy. When the hair didn’t grow back and she started scratching the spot until it would bleed, we got her tested for allergies. It turned out that she was allergic to some of the ingredients in her food and her diet was changed to avoid those ingredients. After all these changes her hair still has not grown back and her skin pigmentation is turning black on her head and around the ears. We have considered taking her to a pet dermatologist but it is very expensive. Can you offer any recommendations before we pay hundreds, maybe thousands trying to cure her skin problem? I have a picture that I can send if you provide your e-mail.

Thank you,
Derrick Kennedy

Hi there Derrick and thanks for your question about Tyche. You can send your picture to drmarie@askavetquestion.com and I'll have a look at it and let you know what I think!

Hi Derrick...just wanted to let you know that I am going offline for the night. I'll keep an eye out for your email and send you a response in the morning!

Thanks for the photos Derrick. That's certainly some unusual looking skin!

Is she still itchy? If not, it may be that whatever the problem is, it is gone, but there may be damage to the hair follicles and the hair may not grow back.

However, if she is still itchy there has to be something that we can treat. While allergies can cause skin problems it is quite unusual (but not impossible) for them to just affect the top of the head. We usually see itchiness in the feet and inside of the ears of an allergic dog.

If this were my case, I would be doing the following tests. (Likely some of these have been done by your vet already). I would do a skin scraping to look for parasites such as demodex or sarcoptic mange. I would also do a fungal culture to rule out ringworm. Likely she's already been tried on antibiotics, but that is something I would try as well.

Some little dogs like maltese dogs can get hair loss on their head because of too much use of an elastic. Sometimes this hair loss is permanent. However, it shouldn't really cause her to be itchy.

If all of the tests have been done and there is no answer then the next step is a skin biopsy. This really should tell us what the cause of the problem is. Your regular vet should be able to do a biopsy with a local anesthetic and some sedation (unless Tyche is a very uncooperative dog in which case she may need a general anesthetic).

With all that being said, sometimes it is less expensive to just see the specialist. These vets see all of the "unusual" cases and they may be able to pinpoint the problem with fewer tests.

I hope this information helps! Let me know if you need more clarification at all.

Old cat with lump on paw. Our family cat is 13 to 15 years old. within the last two weeks she has lost her... (6668 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (10499 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (5961 views)

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (8416 views)

Vaginal Discharge. Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few... (14128 views)

Bald spot on cat's back. My friend's 1 1/2 yr. old cat has been losing the hair from it's tail for about 10... (39131 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (8880 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (71710 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (18737 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (9827 views)