Calicivirus questions

Breed: DSH
My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said that she might have calicivirus. I thought that calicivirus just caused sneezing. Can you tell me what the connection is to stomatitis?

Sorry to hear that Sweetie has stomatitis. The good news is that most cats do extremely well once their teeth are removed. Most cats with stomatitis get severe inflammation because they are reacting to the plaque on their teeth. So, if we remove the teeth then this usually solves the problem. And cats tend to do very well without any teeth!

We have recently discovered that many cats with stomatitis have calicivirus as well. When cats come down with calicivirus then can often get red sore lesions in their mouth. Some cats that get calicivirus can become chronic carriers of the virus. It's these cats that are more prone to stomatitis.

Some cats with stomatitis can be treated with occasional steroid shots (depo medrol) and antibiotics as necessary, but many of them need to have their teeth removed in order for the problem to go away.

Thanks for that information. I have two more questions. Should she start being vaccinated for calicivirus? And, should I get my other cats vaccinated as well?

At this point, the vaccine is not going to make any difference on her stomatitis. If she is a chronic carrier of calicivirus (which by the way, 30% of all cats are) then a vaccine is not going to make that go away or make any difference in her calicivirus state.

If a cat is getting steroid injections for stomatitis then it is not good to vaccinate them. This is because the steroid depresses the immune function, but we need a good healthy immune function for vaccines to be effective.

Now, regarding your other cats, vaccinating probably won't make a difference in whether or not they get affected by calicivirus at this point. They have already been exposed and they are either already carrying the virus or have fought it off and have made antibiodies. The other factor is that we are not sure if the strain of calicivirus in the vaccine is the same as the strain that contributes to stomatitis. Vaccinating is not something that is going to help with stomatitis.

With that being said, however, I would still recommend vaccinating all of the cats because you want to have them protected against other diseases. I believe that all cats, whether indoor or out should have vaccines.

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (10630 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (8975 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (13874 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (11379 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (11589 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (10378 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (10181 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (15387 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (13582 views)

Vet drained cyst. A few months back my dog developed a blocked sweat gland. My former vet basically... (7753 views)