Calicivirus questions

Breed: DSH
My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said that she might have calicivirus. I thought that calicivirus just caused sneezing. Can you tell me what the connection is to stomatitis?

Sorry to hear that Sweetie has stomatitis. The good news is that most cats do extremely well once their teeth are removed. Most cats with stomatitis get severe inflammation because they are reacting to the plaque on their teeth. So, if we remove the teeth then this usually solves the problem. And cats tend to do very well without any teeth!

We have recently discovered that many cats with stomatitis have calicivirus as well. When cats come down with calicivirus then can often get red sore lesions in their mouth. Some cats that get calicivirus can become chronic carriers of the virus. It's these cats that are more prone to stomatitis.

Some cats with stomatitis can be treated with occasional steroid shots (depo medrol) and antibiotics as necessary, but many of them need to have their teeth removed in order for the problem to go away.

Thanks for that information. I have two more questions. Should she start being vaccinated for calicivirus? And, should I get my other cats vaccinated as well?

At this point, the vaccine is not going to make any difference on her stomatitis. If she is a chronic carrier of calicivirus (which by the way, 30% of all cats are) then a vaccine is not going to make that go away or make any difference in her calicivirus state.

If a cat is getting steroid injections for stomatitis then it is not good to vaccinate them. This is because the steroid depresses the immune function, but we need a good healthy immune function for vaccines to be effective.

Now, regarding your other cats, vaccinating probably won't make a difference in whether or not they get affected by calicivirus at this point. They have already been exposed and they are either already carrying the virus or have fought it off and have made antibiodies. The other factor is that we are not sure if the strain of calicivirus in the vaccine is the same as the strain that contributes to stomatitis. Vaccinating is not something that is going to help with stomatitis.

With that being said, however, I would still recommend vaccinating all of the cats because you want to have them protected against other diseases. I believe that all cats, whether indoor or out should have vaccines.

vet question Dear Madame Veterinarian: Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've... (11253 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (27221 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (10428 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (23506 views)

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (12169 views)

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (16171 views)

Dog ate food with onions. my dog ate cut up sausage but it had onion,will he get sick... (11137 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (13128 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (6391 views)

My dog is grieving. Good Day Dr. In March of 2011 we lost Lucy (Coton du Tulear) to heart disease. ... (15505 views)