Calicivirus questions

Breed: DSH
My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said that she might have calicivirus. I thought that calicivirus just caused sneezing. Can you tell me what the connection is to stomatitis?

Sorry to hear that Sweetie has stomatitis. The good news is that most cats do extremely well once their teeth are removed. Most cats with stomatitis get severe inflammation because they are reacting to the plaque on their teeth. So, if we remove the teeth then this usually solves the problem. And cats tend to do very well without any teeth!

We have recently discovered that many cats with stomatitis have calicivirus as well. When cats come down with calicivirus then can often get red sore lesions in their mouth. Some cats that get calicivirus can become chronic carriers of the virus. It's these cats that are more prone to stomatitis.

Some cats with stomatitis can be treated with occasional steroid shots (depo medrol) and antibiotics as necessary, but many of them need to have their teeth removed in order for the problem to go away.

Thanks for that information. I have two more questions. Should she start being vaccinated for calicivirus? And, should I get my other cats vaccinated as well?

At this point, the vaccine is not going to make any difference on her stomatitis. If she is a chronic carrier of calicivirus (which by the way, 30% of all cats are) then a vaccine is not going to make that go away or make any difference in her calicivirus state.

If a cat is getting steroid injections for stomatitis then it is not good to vaccinate them. This is because the steroid depresses the immune function, but we need a good healthy immune function for vaccines to be effective.

Now, regarding your other cats, vaccinating probably won't make a difference in whether or not they get affected by calicivirus at this point. They have already been exposed and they are either already carrying the virus or have fought it off and have made antibiodies. The other factor is that we are not sure if the strain of calicivirus in the vaccine is the same as the strain that contributes to stomatitis. Vaccinating is not something that is going to help with stomatitis.

With that being said, however, I would still recommend vaccinating all of the cats because you want to have them protected against other diseases. I believe that all cats, whether indoor or out should have vaccines.

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (13911 views)

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (15167 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (19389 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (10225 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (38746 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (20533 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (24820 views)

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (12245 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (15459 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (13355 views)