Boxer splitting open tail.

Breed: Boxer
I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to get her tail docked? and how much does it usually cost for that kind of procedure?

That's a frustrating situation. I have seen dogs who have recurring wounds on their tails and they are often very difficult to fix.

There are two ways that this can be fixed.

The first would be to keep the tail covered until the wound is completely healed and then several weeks longer. It is often hard to keep a tail covered. I have a special technique where I use a plastic syringe case to cover the tail and affix the syringe case with bandaging material. If this is done, it's definitely something I would recommend having a vet do as if it is done incorrectly you could potentially cause more harm than good.

The second option would be to have the tail surgically removed. This is actually a very major surgery. It could cost anywhere from $1000-$2000 and can have a long recovery time.

Ultimately, the decision on what to do here is best made with the help of your vet as he or she can see what kind of problem is present.

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (22567 views)

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (13833 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (22319 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (36012 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (38789 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (6401 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (4496 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (8033 views)

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (9076 views)

Puppy is very hyper. Gracey was born on July 6th..so she will be six months soon. We have had dogs all... (7657 views)