Boxer splitting open tail.

Breed: Boxer
I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to get her tail docked? and how much does it usually cost for that kind of procedure?

That's a frustrating situation. I have seen dogs who have recurring wounds on their tails and they are often very difficult to fix.

There are two ways that this can be fixed.

The first would be to keep the tail covered until the wound is completely healed and then several weeks longer. It is often hard to keep a tail covered. I have a special technique where I use a plastic syringe case to cover the tail and affix the syringe case with bandaging material. If this is done, it's definitely something I would recommend having a vet do as if it is done incorrectly you could potentially cause more harm than good.

The second option would be to have the tail surgically removed. This is actually a very major surgery. It could cost anywhere from $1000-$2000 and can have a long recovery time.

Ultimately, the decision on what to do here is best made with the help of your vet as he or she can see what kind of problem is present.

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (10437 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (5816 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6279 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (9589 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (77312 views)

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (5268 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (7432 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (54689 views)

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (7502 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (8752 views)