Boxer splitting open tail.

Breed: Boxer
I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to get her tail docked? and how much does it usually cost for that kind of procedure?

That's a frustrating situation. I have seen dogs who have recurring wounds on their tails and they are often very difficult to fix.

There are two ways that this can be fixed.

The first would be to keep the tail covered until the wound is completely healed and then several weeks longer. It is often hard to keep a tail covered. I have a special technique where I use a plastic syringe case to cover the tail and affix the syringe case with bandaging material. If this is done, it's definitely something I would recommend having a vet do as if it is done incorrectly you could potentially cause more harm than good.

The second option would be to have the tail surgically removed. This is actually a very major surgery. It could cost anywhere from $1000-$2000 and can have a long recovery time.

Ultimately, the decision on what to do here is best made with the help of your vet as he or she can see what kind of problem is present.

Wound on ear won't heal. My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she... (15681 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (5079 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (12414 views)

Cat eating less than normal. My cat Noir hasn't been feeling well for about 5 days now. He is a 3 year old,... (71925 views)

Red lump between dog's toes. Hello I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third... (87256 views)

Dehydrated and trouble breathing. I found my cat yesterday just lying on the ground, he can't lift his head, yesterday... (7897 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis. Jet has started making sounds like he is gasping for breath and then coughs. This... (11952 views)

67 days pregnant. Dog is 67 days pregnant no sign of labor how much longer should i wait before taking... (10122 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (10715 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (7327 views)