Boxer splitting open tail.

Breed: Boxer
I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to get her tail docked? and how much does it usually cost for that kind of procedure?

That's a frustrating situation. I have seen dogs who have recurring wounds on their tails and they are often very difficult to fix.

There are two ways that this can be fixed.

The first would be to keep the tail covered until the wound is completely healed and then several weeks longer. It is often hard to keep a tail covered. I have a special technique where I use a plastic syringe case to cover the tail and affix the syringe case with bandaging material. If this is done, it's definitely something I would recommend having a vet do as if it is done incorrectly you could potentially cause more harm than good.

The second option would be to have the tail surgically removed. This is actually a very major surgery. It could cost anywhere from $1000-$2000 and can have a long recovery time.

Ultimately, the decision on what to do here is best made with the help of your vet as he or she can see what kind of problem is present.

Sneezing dog. I have two yorkiepoo's that were around a dog that had distemper parvo ( he was not... (11310 views)

Pine bedding and gerbils. Hi, We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I... (7560 views)

Incontinence and balance issues. We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started... (16054 views)

Should I neuter him? My male chihuahua follows my female Lhasa Apso all around the house. The Lhasa does... (6149 views)

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (6519 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (16502 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (34688 views)

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (6318 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (11062 views)

Pain in stomatitis after extractions. 9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth... (15227 views)