Boxer splitting open tail.

Breed: Boxer
I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to get her tail docked? and how much does it usually cost for that kind of procedure?

That's a frustrating situation. I have seen dogs who have recurring wounds on their tails and they are often very difficult to fix.

There are two ways that this can be fixed.

The first would be to keep the tail covered until the wound is completely healed and then several weeks longer. It is often hard to keep a tail covered. I have a special technique where I use a plastic syringe case to cover the tail and affix the syringe case with bandaging material. If this is done, it's definitely something I would recommend having a vet do as if it is done incorrectly you could potentially cause more harm than good.

The second option would be to have the tail surgically removed. This is actually a very major surgery. It could cost anywhere from $1000-$2000 and can have a long recovery time.

Ultimately, the decision on what to do here is best made with the help of your vet as he or she can see what kind of problem is present.

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (20504 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (32493 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (7778 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (10809 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (72083 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (7465 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (13784 views)

Hamster biting leg Hi Iam a newbe to the whole dwaf hamster thing so I have this six week year old... (16066 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (12885 views)

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (25056 views)