Boxer splitting open tail.

Breed: Boxer
I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to get her tail docked? and how much does it usually cost for that kind of procedure?

That's a frustrating situation. I have seen dogs who have recurring wounds on their tails and they are often very difficult to fix.

There are two ways that this can be fixed.

The first would be to keep the tail covered until the wound is completely healed and then several weeks longer. It is often hard to keep a tail covered. I have a special technique where I use a plastic syringe case to cover the tail and affix the syringe case with bandaging material. If this is done, it's definitely something I would recommend having a vet do as if it is done incorrectly you could potentially cause more harm than good.

The second option would be to have the tail surgically removed. This is actually a very major surgery. It could cost anywhere from $1000-$2000 and can have a long recovery time.

Ultimately, the decision on what to do here is best made with the help of your vet as he or she can see what kind of problem is present.

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (11658 views)

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (7253 views)

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (8287 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (19277 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (7313 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (13249 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (4321 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (7642 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (11887 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (8788 views)