My kitten died.

Breed: DSH Tabby
Hi Dr Marie,

We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to find our poor kitten had died overnight. Gizmo was 10 weeks old and had just been to the vet a week before to get his FVRCP, pronounced perfectly healthy apart from a small limp he got when jumping from my husband's shoulder. :)

We lost another 3 month old kitten earlier this year to what looked like cardiomyopathy (his legs went completely limp, he went very slack and started crying, and within an hour - on the way to the emergency hospital - he had passed away). But we don't know what happened to Gizmo because we weren't there - and yes, we feel absolutely wretched for leaving him!

We had thought he would be OK overnight, we left plenty of dry food and water, etc. The first thing we noticed when we got home was some dry food scattered on the floor, then we noticed Gizmo lying close to his food bowl, and realised he had died. He was lying as if asleep and there were no signs of any accident or struggling.

We wondered if maybe he had choked on his dry food (we recently switched to IAMS and noticed the pieces were larger than the Royal Canin we were using). He had a habit of swallowing without chewing. Could this be possible, or, what are the chances of the same thing (cardiomyopathy) happening twice to two unrelated kittens? Both were rescued from the Humane Society and we had both for less than a month before they died, but gave them plenty of food, water, love and play in those short weeks.

I really don't want this happening again, if there is anything we might be doing wrong, but I have lived with cats for most of my life (until I went to college) and never had any issues. Any thoughts you have would be welcomed.

Jen

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that this happened. Cases like this are so difficult because it is extremely hard for us to ever know what happened.

By far the most common reason for a young, apparently healthy cat to die suddenly is a heart condition. And yes, cardiomyopathy (likely hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) is the most likely culprit. This type of problem is something that a cat would be born with. I would agree with you that the odds are extremely low for two unrelated cats to both die of cardiomyopathy. But, I'm guessing that this is likely what happened.

It is extremely unlikely that Gizmo choked on his food.

Is there any way that you could have your veterinarian do a post mortem exam on him? If so, they may be able to tell if the walls of the heart are abnormally thickened as we would see with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please know that you did nothing wrong.

Improper tail docking? I just acquired my puppy from a backyard breeder who I was told cut off the puppies... (6792 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (5973 views)

Sore chihuahua My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he... (6207 views)

Trifexis overdose? I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his... (23656 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (4663 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (21373 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (6573 views)

Dog ate sanitary pad About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He ... (4552 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (13848 views)

Dog drinks every 20 minutes. I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating... (15398 views)