My kitten died.

Breed: DSH Tabby
Hi Dr Marie,

We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to find our poor kitten had died overnight. Gizmo was 10 weeks old and had just been to the vet a week before to get his FVRCP, pronounced perfectly healthy apart from a small limp he got when jumping from my husband's shoulder. :)

We lost another 3 month old kitten earlier this year to what looked like cardiomyopathy (his legs went completely limp, he went very slack and started crying, and within an hour - on the way to the emergency hospital - he had passed away). But we don't know what happened to Gizmo because we weren't there - and yes, we feel absolutely wretched for leaving him!

We had thought he would be OK overnight, we left plenty of dry food and water, etc. The first thing we noticed when we got home was some dry food scattered on the floor, then we noticed Gizmo lying close to his food bowl, and realised he had died. He was lying as if asleep and there were no signs of any accident or struggling.

We wondered if maybe he had choked on his dry food (we recently switched to IAMS and noticed the pieces were larger than the Royal Canin we were using). He had a habit of swallowing without chewing. Could this be possible, or, what are the chances of the same thing (cardiomyopathy) happening twice to two unrelated kittens? Both were rescued from the Humane Society and we had both for less than a month before they died, but gave them plenty of food, water, love and play in those short weeks.

I really don't want this happening again, if there is anything we might be doing wrong, but I have lived with cats for most of my life (until I went to college) and never had any issues. Any thoughts you have would be welcomed.

Jen

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that this happened. Cases like this are so difficult because it is extremely hard for us to ever know what happened.

By far the most common reason for a young, apparently healthy cat to die suddenly is a heart condition. And yes, cardiomyopathy (likely hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) is the most likely culprit. This type of problem is something that a cat would be born with. I would agree with you that the odds are extremely low for two unrelated cats to both die of cardiomyopathy. But, I'm guessing that this is likely what happened.

It is extremely unlikely that Gizmo choked on his food.

Is there any way that you could have your veterinarian do a post mortem exam on him? If so, they may be able to tell if the walls of the heart are abnormally thickened as we would see with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please know that you did nothing wrong.

Sick shih tzu Hello, I have a question about my 2 and a half year old shit-zu. yesterday, after... (12975 views)

Wheezing cat. My cat is wheezing. Because he is 15 now I was not suprised. But then it grew worse.... (11904 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (8661 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (10005 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (13014 views)

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (6337 views)

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (15287 views)

Dogs eyes are lazy. Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they... (71365 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (3324 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (10894 views)