Increased thirst and urination.

Breed: Golden Retriever

This question concerns crystals in urine.

Starting about 1 week ago I noticed Max began drinking and urinating excessively. His yearly physical examination was otherwise normal.

This was complicated by the house humidifier breaking so I was unsure the cause.

I decided to do a urinalysis anyway. I brought in a sample from 7 pm after 8 hours of Max being house-bound. No blood, bacteria, or WBC in the urine. But the pH was 7.0 and there were crystals.

Max transitioned to Blue Buffalo Basiscs turkey/potato in September and he's doing well on it.

What are your thoughts? What have you seen in the past. The vet has requested a second urine sample to retest.

Thanks.

Hi Jay...so sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Whenever I see crystals in a dog's urine I always want to repeat the test to make sure that it is accurate. How fresh was the sample? If it was more than an hour or so old, sometimes crystals will form on their own and not mean anything.

Also, crystals are not usually a cause of increased thirst and urination. They can cause irritation and difficulty urinating, but shouldn't cause an increase in thirst.

Do you know what the specific gravity of Max's urine was? It would be a number like 1.035. This tells me whether there is potential for kidney issues.

If there are still crystals then the vet will likely want to culture the urine to see if there is a hidden infection as this is the most common reason for crystals in the urine. But I would be surprised if this was the case.

I have had a number of cases where dogs have mysterious increase in thirst and urination and I can't figure out why. If the urine tests turn out normal then I likely wouldn't be too worried.

The first sample was from 7pm a few days ago. I brought in a fresh morning sample this morning and the vet ran it through the strips. Everything was normal gravity pH no crystals. Is it worth sending to a lean or is thee strip normally pretty accurate.

I mean, the test a few days ago was using a sample from 7 pm

Sorry it's the auto correct. The first sample a few days ago was using a 7pm sample. Are the strips pretty accurate or is it worth sending to a lab?

The tests in the vet's office are very accurate. I would only send to the lab if I was really feeling there was infection (i.e. if there still were crystals or if Max had clinical signs of an infection.). It doesn't sound like further tests are warranted.

If the specific gravity is good as well then this makes me very "unworried" if that is a word. :)

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (14242 views)

Dogs eyes are lazy. Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they... (85127 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (14935 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (10927 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (9247 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (28752 views)

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (12853 views)

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (14802 views)

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (11455 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (11628 views)