Trouble urinating after neuter surgery.

Breed: Golden
Hi Dr,

Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2 hours post-op.

But he did not pee last night and so far at 9:40 am, despite drinking a normal amount of water this morning, he hasn't peed.
Nurses said to wait a few hours and call back.

Is this normal? He's a bit lethargic but I coaxed him to eat 1 cup of food before giving him Rimadyl 150 mg.

Jay

Hi Jay...I'm not too worried about him not urinating. I would be worried, however, if he was trying to pee and having difficulty.

There really isn't a post surgical complication that could cause Max to not have urine there. Most likely he has some discomfort from the surgery and is reluctant to get into the posture to urinate.

I agree with the nurse...give him a few more hours and see how things go.

But, if he is trying to urinate and not able to get urine out then this is more serious.

He's made no effort to pee. Perhaps it's still tender. He does squat to pee.

I'm assuming if he hasn't peed by noon they place a catheter inside to drain him and make him more comfortable.

Jay

To be honest Jay, I've never seen a dog not be able to urinate after a neuter surgery. But most likely, yes, if he hasn't peed by noon then have them take a look. They likely will pass a catheter.

I bet you he'll pee soon though!

Thanks for those pictures of Max's teeth...Isn't the body amazing?

So large a shift in just 3 months is amazing and I'm not even sure what pressures repositioned it. In my case I needed 3 years of braces!

Actually by 5 pm he peed for 5 minutes. Melted the snow down to the grass.

Today is day 2 on Rimadyl 150. Drinking normal and activity level varies from subdued to hyper. No vomiting and stools normal but appetite is about half normal. Web sites say its a common side effect but to contact your vet immediately. Am I taking this out of context?

Thanks

Jay

Wow...I'm surprised it took him till 5 pm. He must have really had to go by then!

What he's doing now sounds normal to me. It can often take a few days to get totally back to normal.

How does his incision look?

Incision looks good. No redness or swelling so far. Only the most minor leakage.

I remember they used to send you home with clavamox. I guess that's before laser surgery.

neuter incision

It looks good to me too. It's a little red, but for 2 days post op that is quite normal.

I don't send neuters home with antibiotics.

I really think Max is fine. He should gradually pick up his appetite each day. If, however, his appetite is decreasing rather than increasing over the next few days then I'd have his vet take another look.

Sounds good.
One small question - does the scrotum get reabsorbed or does it remain as it is now? (and no, I am not investing in neuticles!)

It will definitely shrink up and look like nothing is there.

I've yet to have experience with neuticals thankfully!!!

Terrific.

One more thing. You're already hooked into Facebook and Twitter. Are you missing the last pillar of the internet - Youtube. You could easily post links to your web page.

I was thinking what if you had a library of 1-2 minute videos discussing the best dog foods, how to clean ears, safe dog toys, changing a dressing, giving a pill... whatever.

Jay

We are on the same wavelength Jay! I just this week bought myself a Canon Rebel T2i and I have been shooting some video on it. I've got a great video of how to express anal glands. (Yes, I know not what everyone wants to see...LOL!)

However, I've had laryngitis the last few days so I haven't been able to record the voice over for it yet.

It should be up on youtube soon!

Terrific!
Good luck with the glands. My previous dog had issues with that until eventually they had to be removed.

Good nite.

Jay

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (8675 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (20726 views)

Howling and very sick. My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday... (72166 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (14022 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (4018 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (5857 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (4571 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (8375 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (17504 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (8162 views)