Peeing outside of box.

Breed: domestic short hair
My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter box but will not urinate in box. She finds a spot on carpet for this if she is unable to go outside at that time. I have an older cat also,neutered male but he no longer uses box since she came along. He will not go in house, only outside. The litter box is kept clean so why will she not urinate in it? Thank you for your time

Hi and thanks for your question.

Issues like this can be very frustrating! I have a few suggestions for you.

First, it would be great to have your vet examine each of the cats and make sure that there is no medical reason for these behaviors. Some cats can have urinary crystals or interstitial cystitis which can cause inflammation in the bladder which may cause them to urinate in inappropriate places.

If a medical condition is ruled out then there are a few things you can do:

If you have 2 cats you should have at least 3 litter boxes. I would suggest getting rid of the one you have and buying 3 new ones. You can also experiment with different types of litter. Many cats like the new silicon litter that is available.

You can also experiment with different types of boxes...try covered or non covered, tall or short. You can even use a boot tray as a litter box. Some cats like that.

You can look into a product called Feliway which is a feline pheromone that helps to make cats feel good and sometimes reduces urinary issues.

If none of these are working then you can talk to your vet about anti-anxiety medications such as amitryptiline. Many cats who urinate inappropriately do it because of hidden anxiety.

I hope this helps!

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (28895 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (62201 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (17211 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (29268 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (19385 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (9051 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (10573 views)

Ear margin dermatosis. Hello, I have a 5 year old over-weight beagle. He's had these small dry crusty... (91653 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (16588 views)

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (18790 views)