Peeing outside of box.

Breed: domestic short hair
My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter box but will not urinate in box. She finds a spot on carpet for this if she is unable to go outside at that time. I have an older cat also,neutered male but he no longer uses box since she came along. He will not go in house, only outside. The litter box is kept clean so why will she not urinate in it? Thank you for your time

Hi and thanks for your question.

Issues like this can be very frustrating! I have a few suggestions for you.

First, it would be great to have your vet examine each of the cats and make sure that there is no medical reason for these behaviors. Some cats can have urinary crystals or interstitial cystitis which can cause inflammation in the bladder which may cause them to urinate in inappropriate places.

If a medical condition is ruled out then there are a few things you can do:

If you have 2 cats you should have at least 3 litter boxes. I would suggest getting rid of the one you have and buying 3 new ones. You can also experiment with different types of litter. Many cats like the new silicon litter that is available.

You can also experiment with different types of boxes...try covered or non covered, tall or short. You can even use a boot tray as a litter box. Some cats like that.

You can look into a product called Feliway which is a feline pheromone that helps to make cats feel good and sometimes reduces urinary issues.

If none of these are working then you can talk to your vet about anti-anxiety medications such as amitryptiline. Many cats who urinate inappropriately do it because of hidden anxiety.

I hope this helps!

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (17712 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (19594 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (12096 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (16630 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (25850 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (28775 views)

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (14473 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (14204 views)

Swollen ear flap. i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to... (12471 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (13441 views)