Peeing outside of box.

Breed: domestic short hair
My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter box but will not urinate in box. She finds a spot on carpet for this if she is unable to go outside at that time. I have an older cat also,neutered male but he no longer uses box since she came along. He will not go in house, only outside. The litter box is kept clean so why will she not urinate in it? Thank you for your time

Hi and thanks for your question.

Issues like this can be very frustrating! I have a few suggestions for you.

First, it would be great to have your vet examine each of the cats and make sure that there is no medical reason for these behaviors. Some cats can have urinary crystals or interstitial cystitis which can cause inflammation in the bladder which may cause them to urinate in inappropriate places.

If a medical condition is ruled out then there are a few things you can do:

If you have 2 cats you should have at least 3 litter boxes. I would suggest getting rid of the one you have and buying 3 new ones. You can also experiment with different types of litter. Many cats like the new silicon litter that is available.

You can also experiment with different types of boxes...try covered or non covered, tall or short. You can even use a boot tray as a litter box. Some cats like that.

You can look into a product called Feliway which is a feline pheromone that helps to make cats feel good and sometimes reduces urinary issues.

If none of these are working then you can talk to your vet about anti-anxiety medications such as amitryptiline. Many cats who urinate inappropriately do it because of hidden anxiety.

I hope this helps!

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (5891 views)

PNST in a dog. My Jack Russell (8 years old) was just diagnosed with a PNST. Which was discovered... (14113 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (38085 views)

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (9479 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (17731 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (6501 views)

Cat puffing its hair out. Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that... (16064 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (17451 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (7718 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (11312 views)