Peeing outside of box.

Breed: domestic short hair
My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter box but will not urinate in box. She finds a spot on carpet for this if she is unable to go outside at that time. I have an older cat also,neutered male but he no longer uses box since she came along. He will not go in house, only outside. The litter box is kept clean so why will she not urinate in it? Thank you for your time

Hi and thanks for your question.

Issues like this can be very frustrating! I have a few suggestions for you.

First, it would be great to have your vet examine each of the cats and make sure that there is no medical reason for these behaviors. Some cats can have urinary crystals or interstitial cystitis which can cause inflammation in the bladder which may cause them to urinate in inappropriate places.

If a medical condition is ruled out then there are a few things you can do:

If you have 2 cats you should have at least 3 litter boxes. I would suggest getting rid of the one you have and buying 3 new ones. You can also experiment with different types of litter. Many cats like the new silicon litter that is available.

You can also experiment with different types of boxes...try covered or non covered, tall or short. You can even use a boot tray as a litter box. Some cats like that.

You can look into a product called Feliway which is a feline pheromone that helps to make cats feel good and sometimes reduces urinary issues.

If none of these are working then you can talk to your vet about anti-anxiety medications such as amitryptiline. Many cats who urinate inappropriately do it because of hidden anxiety.

I hope this helps!

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (14848 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (8169 views)

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (23969 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (5065 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (20762 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (11471 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (9409 views)

Cat not eating since new kitten arrived. My cat's behavior has changed quite a bit and won't eat. I will explain when he... (17929 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (11092 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (5438 views)