Peeing outside of box.

Breed: domestic short hair
My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter box but will not urinate in box. She finds a spot on carpet for this if she is unable to go outside at that time. I have an older cat also,neutered male but he no longer uses box since she came along. He will not go in house, only outside. The litter box is kept clean so why will she not urinate in it? Thank you for your time

Hi and thanks for your question.

Issues like this can be very frustrating! I have a few suggestions for you.

First, it would be great to have your vet examine each of the cats and make sure that there is no medical reason for these behaviors. Some cats can have urinary crystals or interstitial cystitis which can cause inflammation in the bladder which may cause them to urinate in inappropriate places.

If a medical condition is ruled out then there are a few things you can do:

If you have 2 cats you should have at least 3 litter boxes. I would suggest getting rid of the one you have and buying 3 new ones. You can also experiment with different types of litter. Many cats like the new silicon litter that is available.

You can also experiment with different types of boxes...try covered or non covered, tall or short. You can even use a boot tray as a litter box. Some cats like that.

You can look into a product called Feliway which is a feline pheromone that helps to make cats feel good and sometimes reduces urinary issues.

If none of these are working then you can talk to your vet about anti-anxiety medications such as amitryptiline. Many cats who urinate inappropriately do it because of hidden anxiety.

I hope this helps!

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (7231 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (9903 views)

Rice grain like worms in poop. my dog has rice grain-like worms in her poop. can you tell me what kind they are.... (14604 views)

Limping on rear leg. Hello Dr. Marie! Buddy came to us about six months ago a stray. Though it was... (21716 views)

Dog suddenly paralyzed. My beloved Pug, Newt, passed away last October.She was 12 years old. She developed a... (44149 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (15089 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (30161 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (7600 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (15189 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (4890 views)