Sick pregnant cat.

Breed: tabby
hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted a few weeks ago after going out and not coming back for a few days... she seems to just lay about alot now and ive noticed her being sick, a couple of days ago and twice tonight, it looks like food but smells horrible... is this normal? could it mean shes due to give birth?

Sorry to hear that Mi-Mi may not be well.

While cats can go through some mild "morning sickness" we don't usually see vomiting and lethargy as a normal part of pregnancy. I am concerned that something is wrong.

If she is pregnant, it is possible that she has an infection associated with the pregnancy. It may be that one of the fetuses has died and is now causing an infection in the uterus.

It is also possible that she is not pregnant but instead has something called a pyometra which is an infection in the uterus. Sometimes the uterus can become so full of pus that the abdomen does look distended like a pregnancy. What you described as spotting is really not normal in pregnant cats. The "spotting" may have been discharge from an infected uterus. This is a serious condition. The treatment is an emergency spay.

It is also possible that this is not related to her uterus or pregnancy at all. A cat can have a swollen belly because of a virus called FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP.

It sounds like she is quite unwell. I would highly advise a vet visit right away.

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (15054 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (77272 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (9754 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (6519 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (6327 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (11151 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (7893 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (6085 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (8340 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (16855 views)