Sick pregnant cat.

Breed: tabby
hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted a few weeks ago after going out and not coming back for a few days... she seems to just lay about alot now and ive noticed her being sick, a couple of days ago and twice tonight, it looks like food but smells horrible... is this normal? could it mean shes due to give birth?

Sorry to hear that Mi-Mi may not be well.

While cats can go through some mild "morning sickness" we don't usually see vomiting and lethargy as a normal part of pregnancy. I am concerned that something is wrong.

If she is pregnant, it is possible that she has an infection associated with the pregnancy. It may be that one of the fetuses has died and is now causing an infection in the uterus.

It is also possible that she is not pregnant but instead has something called a pyometra which is an infection in the uterus. Sometimes the uterus can become so full of pus that the abdomen does look distended like a pregnancy. What you described as spotting is really not normal in pregnant cats. The "spotting" may have been discharge from an infected uterus. This is a serious condition. The treatment is an emergency spay.

It is also possible that this is not related to her uterus or pregnancy at all. A cat can have a swollen belly because of a virus called FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP.

It sounds like she is quite unwell. I would highly advise a vet visit right away.

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (13039 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (26385 views)

Metronidazole side effects? My Dog had a surgery Dec 9. The Doctor removed a tumor from his small intestine. He... (15382 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (25472 views)

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (6371 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (13638 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (6360 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (97726 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (13901 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (9632 views)