Sick pregnant cat.

Breed: tabby
hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted a few weeks ago after going out and not coming back for a few days... she seems to just lay about alot now and ive noticed her being sick, a couple of days ago and twice tonight, it looks like food but smells horrible... is this normal? could it mean shes due to give birth?

Sorry to hear that Mi-Mi may not be well.

While cats can go through some mild "morning sickness" we don't usually see vomiting and lethargy as a normal part of pregnancy. I am concerned that something is wrong.

If she is pregnant, it is possible that she has an infection associated with the pregnancy. It may be that one of the fetuses has died and is now causing an infection in the uterus.

It is also possible that she is not pregnant but instead has something called a pyometra which is an infection in the uterus. Sometimes the uterus can become so full of pus that the abdomen does look distended like a pregnancy. What you described as spotting is really not normal in pregnant cats. The "spotting" may have been discharge from an infected uterus. This is a serious condition. The treatment is an emergency spay.

It is also possible that this is not related to her uterus or pregnancy at all. A cat can have a swollen belly because of a virus called FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP.

It sounds like she is quite unwell. I would highly advise a vet visit right away.

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (32953 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My Dog Was Lost For 2 days and i found him 12-11-10 at 4pm curled up in a ball... (9273 views)

Trouble moving. Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~ Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He... (11069 views)

Sick kitten. Kitty is 13 weeks old, has had diarehha off and on for 9 days, also another sibling,... (9731 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (8161 views)

Can a dog get lice? Can my dog get lice... (5617 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (7953 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (61581 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (7038 views)

Dog is going blind. Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,,... (7686 views)