Sick pregnant cat.

Breed: tabby
hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted a few weeks ago after going out and not coming back for a few days... she seems to just lay about alot now and ive noticed her being sick, a couple of days ago and twice tonight, it looks like food but smells horrible... is this normal? could it mean shes due to give birth?

Sorry to hear that Mi-Mi may not be well.

While cats can go through some mild "morning sickness" we don't usually see vomiting and lethargy as a normal part of pregnancy. I am concerned that something is wrong.

If she is pregnant, it is possible that she has an infection associated with the pregnancy. It may be that one of the fetuses has died and is now causing an infection in the uterus.

It is also possible that she is not pregnant but instead has something called a pyometra which is an infection in the uterus. Sometimes the uterus can become so full of pus that the abdomen does look distended like a pregnancy. What you described as spotting is really not normal in pregnant cats. The "spotting" may have been discharge from an infected uterus. This is a serious condition. The treatment is an emergency spay.

It is also possible that this is not related to her uterus or pregnancy at all. A cat can have a swollen belly because of a virus called FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP.

It sounds like she is quite unwell. I would highly advise a vet visit right away.

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (18712 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (9067 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (17070 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (13697 views)

PNST in a dog. My Jack Russell (8 years old) was just diagnosed with a PNST. Which was discovered... (12379 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (5955 views)

Kitten is bleeding from vagina. since ive got my kitten she has been crying alot, ive noticed her bleeding aswell... (14497 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (14758 views)

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (24661 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (13269 views)