Sick pregnant cat.

Breed: tabby
hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted a few weeks ago after going out and not coming back for a few days... she seems to just lay about alot now and ive noticed her being sick, a couple of days ago and twice tonight, it looks like food but smells horrible... is this normal? could it mean shes due to give birth?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Sorry to hear that Mi-Mi may not be well.

While cats can go through some mild "morning sickness" we don't usually see vomiting and lethargy as a normal part of pregnancy. I am concerned that something is wrong.

If she is pregnant, it is possible that she has an infection associated with the pregnancy. It may be that one of the fetuses has died and is now causing an infection in the uterus.

It is also possible that she is not pregnant but instead has something called a pyometra which is an infection in the uterus. Sometimes the uterus can become so full of pus that the abdomen does look distended like a pregnancy. What you described as spotting is really not normal in pregnant cats. The "spotting" may have been discharge from an infected uterus. This is a serious condition. The treatment is an emergency spay.

It is also possible that this is not related to her uterus or pregnancy at all. A cat can have a swollen belly because of a virus called FIP. Unfortunately there is no cure for FIP.

It sounds like she is quite unwell. I would highly advise a vet visit right away.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (3476 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (16148 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (7241 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (3666 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (8158 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (5235 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (6955 views)

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (11292 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (7231 views)

Blue lump on dog's belly. Around Christmas, I noticed a blue-tinted bump, about 3 mm in diameter, on my dog's... (12294 views)