Incontinence

Breed: Bull mastiff
she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she has done it. what is wrong?

The most common reason for a female dog to have urinary accidents without being aware of them is a condition called estrogen response incontinence. (Another name is urinary sphincter mechanism incontinence).

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet check a urine sample to be sure that there is not another medical problem going on that could be causing her to produce more urine such as a kidney problem, diabetes or cushing's.

If they find that the urine is normal then they can prescribe medication to help her control her bladder. Some vets will prescribe a small dose of estrogen that she takes daily for a few days and then once or twice a week. Others will prescribe a medication called propalin that is given three times daily. There are pros and cons to each medicine and your vet will discuss those with you.

Unfortunately this condition tends to be a lifelong condition.

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (16107 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (9203 views)

Bladder surgery showed no cancer or stones. I am sorry in advance this is a little long. I just wanted to get the right... (11150 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (7800 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (53325 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (13968 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (8630 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (7803 views)

Tumor on a guinea pig. Hi Marie, My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly... (14271 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (16969 views)