Incontinence

Breed: Bull mastiff
she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she has done it. what is wrong?

The most common reason for a female dog to have urinary accidents without being aware of them is a condition called estrogen response incontinence. (Another name is urinary sphincter mechanism incontinence).

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet check a urine sample to be sure that there is not another medical problem going on that could be causing her to produce more urine such as a kidney problem, diabetes or cushing's.

If they find that the urine is normal then they can prescribe medication to help her control her bladder. Some vets will prescribe a small dose of estrogen that she takes daily for a few days and then once or twice a week. Others will prescribe a medication called propalin that is given three times daily. There are pros and cons to each medicine and your vet will discuss those with you.

Unfortunately this condition tends to be a lifelong condition.

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (22377 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (22026 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (82831 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (8985 views)

Peeing in house. My cat has recently started urinating outside of her litter box again. She is about... (7936 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (15270 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (11492 views)

Can a dog adapt to a new home? Hello, thanks for taking the time to review my question. Ok, here it goes...The... (7570 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (11176 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (92216 views)