Incontinence

Breed: Bull mastiff
she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she has done it. what is wrong?

The most common reason for a female dog to have urinary accidents without being aware of them is a condition called estrogen response incontinence. (Another name is urinary sphincter mechanism incontinence).

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet check a urine sample to be sure that there is not another medical problem going on that could be causing her to produce more urine such as a kidney problem, diabetes or cushing's.

If they find that the urine is normal then they can prescribe medication to help her control her bladder. Some vets will prescribe a small dose of estrogen that she takes daily for a few days and then once or twice a week. Others will prescribe a medication called propalin that is given three times daily. There are pros and cons to each medicine and your vet will discuss those with you.

Unfortunately this condition tends to be a lifelong condition.

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (5034 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (8694 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (14052 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (15867 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (14982 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (10864 views)

Increased appetite and hair loss. My Burmese cat is losing her hair all over and I am concerned about how hungry she... (6295 views)

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (23465 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (40805 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (10002 views)