Incontinence

Breed: Bull mastiff
she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she has done it. what is wrong?

The most common reason for a female dog to have urinary accidents without being aware of them is a condition called estrogen response incontinence. (Another name is urinary sphincter mechanism incontinence).

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet check a urine sample to be sure that there is not another medical problem going on that could be causing her to produce more urine such as a kidney problem, diabetes or cushing's.

If they find that the urine is normal then they can prescribe medication to help her control her bladder. Some vets will prescribe a small dose of estrogen that she takes daily for a few days and then once or twice a week. Others will prescribe a medication called propalin that is given three times daily. There are pros and cons to each medicine and your vet will discuss those with you.

Unfortunately this condition tends to be a lifelong condition.

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (7154 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (13304 views)

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (19164 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (32884 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (31115 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (13728 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (10783 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (12314 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (31122 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (21990 views)