Incontinence

Breed: Bull mastiff
she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she has done it. what is wrong?

The most common reason for a female dog to have urinary accidents without being aware of them is a condition called estrogen response incontinence. (Another name is urinary sphincter mechanism incontinence).

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet check a urine sample to be sure that there is not another medical problem going on that could be causing her to produce more urine such as a kidney problem, diabetes or cushing's.

If they find that the urine is normal then they can prescribe medication to help her control her bladder. Some vets will prescribe a small dose of estrogen that she takes daily for a few days and then once or twice a week. Others will prescribe a medication called propalin that is given three times daily. There are pros and cons to each medicine and your vet will discuss those with you.

Unfortunately this condition tends to be a lifelong condition.

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (28781 views)

How to calm down hyper dog. We adopted Samson a year ago from the local shelter. He has been a great pet, highly... (11336 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (251256 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (10596 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (23489 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (23813 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (22072 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (98658 views)

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (10431 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (23732 views)