Incontinence

Breed: Bull mastiff
she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she has done it. what is wrong?

The most common reason for a female dog to have urinary accidents without being aware of them is a condition called estrogen response incontinence. (Another name is urinary sphincter mechanism incontinence).

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet check a urine sample to be sure that there is not another medical problem going on that could be causing her to produce more urine such as a kidney problem, diabetes or cushing's.

If they find that the urine is normal then they can prescribe medication to help her control her bladder. Some vets will prescribe a small dose of estrogen that she takes daily for a few days and then once or twice a week. Others will prescribe a medication called propalin that is given three times daily. There are pros and cons to each medicine and your vet will discuss those with you.

Unfortunately this condition tends to be a lifelong condition.

Cipro problems? When I was on vacation, my dog borded at my vet. My dad visited and gave him a large... (12269 views)

Strong smelling urine. i have a male cat an recently his urine has become very strong, he hasnt been done... (11406 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (10488 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (31732 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (10070 views)

Snorting dog My dog has been sneezing and once ina while making a coughing sound...like snoring. ... (26770 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (13283 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (16048 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (14909 views)

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (8835 views)