vet question

Breed: Siberian Husky
Dear Madame Veterinarian:
Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've asked for, and fortunately for us, she has been virtually ailment free for the past 13 years. That's why we're shocked to discover she has this horror--degenerative canine myelopathy. She's been treated for arthritis for the past couple of years, but now it's quite apparent that she's toe dragging in the rear, increasingly wobbly, and so on. Her spirits are still rearing to go, however.
We live in japan--in fact she is a JKC dog, but the parents came from a well-regarded kennel in Minnesota. We haven't contacted them yet; we've been in denial, I'm afraid. My questions are: 1) Should we continue the anti-inflammatory regimen even though her disability is obviously much more than hip arthritis? I've begun giving her B12 because I understand that it, along with a couple other supplements, together have had some success with slowing deterioration (Journal of American Veterinary Medicine 1983). 2) Do you know where we could order those supplements? We do have a vet here on this American military base, but her attention is hard to get given the military working dogs here and the off-base Japanese vets might want to do extensive testing etc., which, quite frankly is just not worth the stress on the dog or us financially.( japan is outrageously expensive, especially when ity comes to pets.) 3) Is it safe to give Nim acetaminophen or ibuprophen?
Please do advise. We'll do anything we can to to keep her body in sync with her heart and all her other systems, which are characteristically go-go-go.
Thank you.
I welcome your counsel from so many miles away.
Sincerely,
Mrs. Skeen
Yokota Air Base, Tokyo, Japan.

Hi Mrs. Skeen. I am so sorry to hear that Nimue has degenerative myelopathy.

To answer your questions:

1) I would definitely continue to give the anti-inflammatories. Even though they do nothing directly for DM, most dogs with DM also have some hip arthritis. If we can minimize arthritis pain then whatever mobility she has left will be maximized.

2) B12 is a fairly common medication. You should be able to get it at any pharmacy. I am not aware of the correct dose to give, however.

3) I would not give over the counter medicines like acetominophen or ibuprophen. These drugs cannot be given along with her prescription anti-inflammatories. Additionally, these medicines can be quite hard on the liver, the kidneys or the stomach.

There are a few other things that can help a dog with DM:
-exercise is encouraged.
-physical therapy is good. You can ask your vet if there is a place near you that does canine physical therapy.
-Sometimes vitamins E and C can be helpful as well.

Unfortunately though, as you know there is no cure for degenerative myelopathy. The good news is that it is not a painful condition, so as long as Nimue is enjoying life then it is ok to keep spoiling her for a while longer.

Did cherry eye surgery fail? My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this... (21559 views)

Cat peed on my bed. My neutered male cat has peed on my bed twice now. I've had him for almost a year... (7650 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (11004 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (4799 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (10678 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (38668 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (8054 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (17328 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (10354 views)

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (7193 views)