vet question

Breed: Siberian Husky
Dear Madame Veterinarian:
Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've asked for, and fortunately for us, she has been virtually ailment free for the past 13 years. That's why we're shocked to discover she has this horror--degenerative canine myelopathy. She's been treated for arthritis for the past couple of years, but now it's quite apparent that she's toe dragging in the rear, increasingly wobbly, and so on. Her spirits are still rearing to go, however.
We live in japan--in fact she is a JKC dog, but the parents came from a well-regarded kennel in Minnesota. We haven't contacted them yet; we've been in denial, I'm afraid. My questions are: 1) Should we continue the anti-inflammatory regimen even though her disability is obviously much more than hip arthritis? I've begun giving her B12 because I understand that it, along with a couple other supplements, together have had some success with slowing deterioration (Journal of American Veterinary Medicine 1983). 2) Do you know where we could order those supplements? We do have a vet here on this American military base, but her attention is hard to get given the military working dogs here and the off-base Japanese vets might want to do extensive testing etc., which, quite frankly is just not worth the stress on the dog or us financially.( japan is outrageously expensive, especially when ity comes to pets.) 3) Is it safe to give Nim acetaminophen or ibuprophen?
Please do advise. We'll do anything we can to to keep her body in sync with her heart and all her other systems, which are characteristically go-go-go.
Thank you.
I welcome your counsel from so many miles away.
Sincerely,
Mrs. Skeen
Yokota Air Base, Tokyo, Japan.

Hi Mrs. Skeen. I am so sorry to hear that Nimue has degenerative myelopathy.

To answer your questions:

1) I would definitely continue to give the anti-inflammatories. Even though they do nothing directly for DM, most dogs with DM also have some hip arthritis. If we can minimize arthritis pain then whatever mobility she has left will be maximized.

2) B12 is a fairly common medication. You should be able to get it at any pharmacy. I am not aware of the correct dose to give, however.

3) I would not give over the counter medicines like acetominophen or ibuprophen. These drugs cannot be given along with her prescription anti-inflammatories. Additionally, these medicines can be quite hard on the liver, the kidneys or the stomach.

There are a few other things that can help a dog with DM:
-exercise is encouraged.
-physical therapy is good. You can ask your vet if there is a place near you that does canine physical therapy.
-Sometimes vitamins E and C can be helpful as well.

Unfortunately though, as you know there is no cure for degenerative myelopathy. The good news is that it is not a painful condition, so as long as Nimue is enjoying life then it is ok to keep spoiling her for a while longer.

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (9467 views)

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (36152 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (9405 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (9895 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (7192 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (75507 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (8685 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (35082 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (59849 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (14724 views)