Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction?

Breed: Boxer
My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. His eyes are swollen almost shut as well as his jowels are very hard. Can we give him Benedryl to take down the swelling?

This certainly sounds like an allergic reaction. Generally it is best to get your vet's ok before giving benadryl. However, if you want to give it at home you can give 1mg per pound. So, a 25 pound dog can have a 25mg tablet every 8 hours.

Some allergic reactions are serious enough to warrant an emergency visit. I have had a few dogs where I have had to give injectable antihistamine and sometimes steroids.

If the swelling is not going down after an hour following the medication, or if it is getting worse or affecting his breathing then seek out emergency care immediately.

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (9635 views)

Heartworm in a puppy? I recently sold an 11 week old pomeranian on January 24, 2010 due to allergies. I... (14636 views)

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (14600 views)

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (11507 views)

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (9208 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (5598 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (9894 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (6028 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (23068 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (23562 views)