Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction?

Breed: Boxer
My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. His eyes are swollen almost shut as well as his jowels are very hard. Can we give him Benedryl to take down the swelling?

This certainly sounds like an allergic reaction. Generally it is best to get your vet's ok before giving benadryl. However, if you want to give it at home you can give 1mg per pound. So, a 25 pound dog can have a 25mg tablet every 8 hours.

Some allergic reactions are serious enough to warrant an emergency visit. I have had a few dogs where I have had to give injectable antihistamine and sometimes steroids.

If the swelling is not going down after an hour following the medication, or if it is getting worse or affecting his breathing then seek out emergency care immediately.

Brown bugs over top of tail. Dear Dr. Marie: I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF... (11083 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (40148 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (6012 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (8227 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (19377 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (34152 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (7376 views)

Tylosin responsive diarrhea. In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts"... (7860 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (8945 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (47504 views)