Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction?

Breed: Boxer
My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. His eyes are swollen almost shut as well as his jowels are very hard. Can we give him Benedryl to take down the swelling?

This certainly sounds like an allergic reaction. Generally it is best to get your vet's ok before giving benadryl. However, if you want to give it at home you can give 1mg per pound. So, a 25 pound dog can have a 25mg tablet every 8 hours.

Some allergic reactions are serious enough to warrant an emergency visit. I have had a few dogs where I have had to give injectable antihistamine and sometimes steroids.

If the swelling is not going down after an hour following the medication, or if it is getting worse or affecting his breathing then seek out emergency care immediately.

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (4489 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (3985 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (11029 views)

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (20096 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (13021 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (6866 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (49194 views)

Liver disease and diarrhea? Hi Dr. Marie My 11 y.o. Boston Andi (about 14 pounds) has been a healthy girl all... (3553 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (6157 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (31728 views)