Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction?

Breed: Boxer
My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. His eyes are swollen almost shut as well as his jowels are very hard. Can we give him Benedryl to take down the swelling?

This certainly sounds like an allergic reaction. Generally it is best to get your vet's ok before giving benadryl. However, if you want to give it at home you can give 1mg per pound. So, a 25 pound dog can have a 25mg tablet every 8 hours.

Some allergic reactions are serious enough to warrant an emergency visit. I have had a few dogs where I have had to give injectable antihistamine and sometimes steroids.

If the swelling is not going down after an hour following the medication, or if it is getting worse or affecting his breathing then seek out emergency care immediately.

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (25820 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (11776 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (10764 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (7725 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (10740 views)

Old dog with mammary lump Gizmo, our shihtzu is naturally slowing due to age- her hearing is gone - her sight... (8979 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (14997 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (6108 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (7238 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (9169 views)