Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction?

Breed: Boxer
My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. His eyes are swollen almost shut as well as his jowels are very hard. Can we give him Benedryl to take down the swelling?

This certainly sounds like an allergic reaction. Generally it is best to get your vet's ok before giving benadryl. However, if you want to give it at home you can give 1mg per pound. So, a 25 pound dog can have a 25mg tablet every 8 hours.

Some allergic reactions are serious enough to warrant an emergency visit. I have had a few dogs where I have had to give injectable antihistamine and sometimes steroids.

If the swelling is not going down after an hour following the medication, or if it is getting worse or affecting his breathing then seek out emergency care immediately.

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (11938 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (16126 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (9501 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (16407 views)

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (17129 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (6400 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (22136 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (25585 views)

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (8892 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (14267 views)