Crusty ears on a cat.

Breed: Bengal cat
My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of his ears. One ear has it all along the edge. There isn't any blood but some definitely crustiness and hardness. His ear is curled back a little bit. His other ear has just a little starting on the tip.

Tuna doesn't seem to be too bothered by it but I have noticed that he does scratch his head/ear area every now and again.

Like I said, he is an indoor cat and has never been outside. We also don't have any other pets.

I am sending a bunch of pictures in .

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Thank you for sending me these photos. Your boy is beautiful!

I have included a couple of the photos here:

crusty ear on cat

ear margin dermatosis on a cat

These images have me a little concerned. There is a chance that this could be something relatively serious. One thing that can look very much like this is a condition called pemphigus foliaceus. This is an autoimmune condition. It can usually be controlled with medication but it can be a lifelong condition.

Another possibility is something called squamous cell carcinoma. However, this would be unlikely in a 3 month old kitten. This is a type of skin cancer that is very serious.

In an outdoor cat, I have seen ears that look like this as a result of mosquito bites. Some cats can have something called mosquito bite hypersensitivity. But, at this time of year, this would be quite uncommon in an indoor cat.

In a three month old cats, ear mites are fairly common but this does not look like ear mites. Cats with ear mites have dark crusty material deep in the ear canal and not really on the tips or margins of the ear.

Another unlikely possibility is ringworm which is a fungal condition, but I haven't seen ringworm affect the ear margins like this.

I would highly recommend that you have your vet examine your boy. They will want to do some tests and will probably need to do a biopsy of part of the ear in order to determine what is going on.

If you do get a diagnosis, I would love for you to post back and let me know.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

We took Tuna to the vet. It turned out to be ringworm. His ears got better on their own after a few more days, with the crustiness flaking off and the hair starting to grow back. We found another crusty spot on his upper body though, which the vet diagnosed as ringwork by flashing a blacklight over it and turning the fungus a bright green.

We're using topical medicine with good success. All is well!

I'm glad to hear that! Hope things clear up quickly!

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (20603 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (4066 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (11390 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (16890 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (5521 views)

Vomiting yellow liquid. Maynard has been vomiting up yellowish urine colored liquid a few time in the last... (5926 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (7500 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (3047 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (4463 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (3241 views)