Crusty ears on a cat.

Breed: Bengal cat
My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of his ears. One ear has it all along the edge. There isn't any blood but some definitely crustiness and hardness. His ear is curled back a little bit. His other ear has just a little starting on the tip.

Tuna doesn't seem to be too bothered by it but I have noticed that he does scratch his head/ear area every now and again.

Like I said, he is an indoor cat and has never been outside. We also don't have any other pets.

I am sending a bunch of pictures in .

Thank you for sending me these photos. Your boy is beautiful!

I have included a couple of the photos here:

crusty ear on cat

ear margin dermatosis on a cat

These images have me a little concerned. There is a chance that this could be something relatively serious. One thing that can look very much like this is a condition called pemphigus foliaceus. This is an autoimmune condition. It can usually be controlled with medication but it can be a lifelong condition.

Another possibility is something called squamous cell carcinoma. However, this would be unlikely in a 3 month old kitten. This is a type of skin cancer that is very serious.

In an outdoor cat, I have seen ears that look like this as a result of mosquito bites. Some cats can have something called mosquito bite hypersensitivity. But, at this time of year, this would be quite uncommon in an indoor cat.

In a three month old cats, ear mites are fairly common but this does not look like ear mites. Cats with ear mites have dark crusty material deep in the ear canal and not really on the tips or margins of the ear.

Another unlikely possibility is ringworm which is a fungal condition, but I haven't seen ringworm affect the ear margins like this.

I would highly recommend that you have your vet examine your boy. They will want to do some tests and will probably need to do a biopsy of part of the ear in order to determine what is going on.

If you do get a diagnosis, I would love for you to post back and let me know.

We took Tuna to the vet. It turned out to be ringworm. His ears got better on their own after a few more days, with the crustiness flaking off and the hair starting to grow back. We found another crusty spot on his upper body though, which the vet diagnosed as ringwork by flashing a blacklight over it and turning the fungus a bright green.

We're using topical medicine with good success. All is well!

I'm glad to hear that! Hope things clear up quickly!

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (2807 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (15793 views)

Unexplained fever in a dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My pit bull Indy has always been in pretty good health but has... (5030 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (6181 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (3857 views)

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (6902 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (9396 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (8000 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (34021 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (12770 views)