Border collie leg problems?

Breed: Border Collie
Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK,

We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think he is about 6 months old.

He's a clever little thing and learns quickly.
He has a great appetite and 'wee's and poops' normally and is house trained.
He has a great little temperament, both with people and other dogs. He can be quite passive though when meeting other dogs.

My Partner, walks him and our other two collies for about 2 hours per day.

We got him from a Border Collie rescue shelter. Apparently he was not suitable for sheep herding. The rescuer didn't know the reason why.

He was checked by our Vet who said he was fine. We mentioned to the Vet, that we felt his back legs were weak. His muscle development in his hind quarters seems to be a bit arrested. Sometimes and i stress sometimes he has a alittle difficulty getting up. He sometimes just flopps down. He can be a bit wobbly when walking.

I think when we got him at 5 months, he had been crated for 4/5 of those months. I guess that could be a reason?

Do you think that his muscle development with improve with age?

What other advice could you offer, Doctor?

Also, his eyesight isn't the best but as the vet said after checking his eyes and everything was fine was that he may be a little short sighted. So he may not be able to read The times in the morning, but he was ok.

Thank you Doctor.

Regards,

Mike Christodoulou

Hi Mike. Thanks for your question.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine Indie. If there was a problem with his bones or joints such as a hip problem then you would really be noticing problems after going for a 2 hour walk.

The flopping down could be normal for him. I have owned several border collies and they can be very dramatic with their movements. If you do feel that he has difficulty getting up and that he is wobbly when walking then there are a few possibilities. It may be hard to pinpoint though.

It's not likely to be just weak muscles from being crated. If this were the case he really wouldn't be able to do a 2 hour walk.

If this were my case I would likely want to take some xrays to start with. Although a hip problem is unlikely, it is the first thing I would want to check out.

There are some rare conditions that can cause muscle weakness such as a condition called myesthenia gravis. There is a blood test for this condition, but it is quite pricey.

Another possibility would be a heart condition. However, most dogs with heart conditions will have a very obvious heart murmur when the vet listens to the chest with a stethoscope.

I wonder if you could videotape his difficulties with getting up and his wobbliness in walking and show that to the vet? Sometimes this can really help as we may not see the actual issues when the dog is in the office.

Eyesight is a difficult thing to test in dogs. In people, the only way we can test whether or not someone is near or far sighted is to have them read a chart and communicate which letters they can see. Obviously that is not possible with dogs....even really smart dogs like border collies. :)

I'm not sure if I've answered your question, so if you have more concerns, just let me know.

Thank you Dr. marie,

Just noticed you are in Ontario. I hope the snow isn't too bad for you.
I have noticed that he tends to be wobbly when he's tiered. Also he had never been in a house before he came to live with us.

He's also scared of the stairs, but thats OK, he'll do them when he's ready.

Are there any supplements i could give him? His vacs are up to date, but I need to worm him. I feed him chicken,wet puppy food and a bit of dried puppy food to mix.

Luckily he has a lifetime £20000 insurance. So I will visit our vet. If he needs to be referred, I know a veterinary surgeon (Noel Fitzpatrick), from years ago who performs innovative surgery on dogs. He operated on my west highland terrier for double ruptured cruciate. He's made TV programmes about the amazing surgery he's performed. I think he may even be on YouTube.

We've always had rescue Border Collies and they all have their issues, but I'll tell you. they always pay back the love you give them back 10 fold.

Any way thanks for your help. I will keep you informed.

Kind regards,

Mike

Our snow is deep, but we are handling it well!

As far as supplements go, this is a tough call because we don't know what the problem is (or even if there is one.) Most of the "natural" supplements that exist for joint problems in dogs don't really do much. The one exception is glucosamine with chondroitin. Some good products are Cosequin and Dasquin. These products are expensive but they may help protect joints.

That is great that Indie is insured! I think something like myasthenia gravis is a long shot but it's worth testing for if you take the cost factor away. Similarly, there is no harm in taking xrays.

Not eating, losing weight. My cat has lost a lot of weight in the past 3 weeks. She cries for food but then... (7886 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (15615 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (12989 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (16296 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (8245 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (17250 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (5827 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (15347 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (6980 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (8881 views)