Does Hartz kill roundworms?

Breed: lab mix
well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or anything because she came from a super rural farm in MN. She was 12 weeks old and I used those flea and tick drops on her (they were from Wal-mart...Hartz brand) and the next morning I went to take her outside to potty, and there were dead worms all over the crate floor! there were A LOT! sp I was wandering.....the fleas and tick drops can kill worms too?...because it sure looked like it to me....

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Thanks for an interesting question!

Hartz flea drops are not supposed to treat roundworms (which is most likely what you saw). The ingredients in Hartz flea and tick drops are mostly phenothrin and some methoprene. Both of these have some effectiveness against fleas. (I say some because I find that these products do not work well for fleas.)

There is no claim on the label that they work for intestinal parasites. I did some research for you to see if there was any connection but could not find any.

However, my theory is that the ingredients do have some effect on roundworms. Many of the topical medications do get absorbed through the skin and can have systemic effects as well.

It is definitely a good idea to repeat a treatment with a dewormer that is meant for roundworms as there may still be more there. You will also want to repeat it in 10-14 days to make sure that you cover all the life stages.

As an additional note, I really don't recommend over the counter flea products like Hartz. I have seen so many cases where they don't work and in some cases they can be toxic especially if applied to a young puppy or to a cat.

I hope that helps!

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (8307 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (13609 views)

Vomiting and bloody stool. We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have... (14949 views)

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (72305 views)

Vaginal Discharge. Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few... (15055 views)

Lump on paw pad. Hi Dr. Marie! Baileys is a patient of yours at Beechwood Animal Hospital. We were... (45373 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (12086 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (8817 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (8780 views)

Dachshund with seizures. Gina had an episode that looked like a seizure about 1.5 years ago for a first time.... (10250 views)