Does Hartz kill roundworms?

Breed: lab mix
well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or anything because she came from a super rural farm in MN. She was 12 weeks old and I used those flea and tick drops on her (they were from Wal-mart...Hartz brand) and the next morning I went to take her outside to potty, and there were dead worms all over the crate floor! there were A LOT! sp I was wandering.....the fleas and tick drops can kill worms too?...because it sure looked like it to me....

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Thanks for an interesting question!

Hartz flea drops are not supposed to treat roundworms (which is most likely what you saw). The ingredients in Hartz flea and tick drops are mostly phenothrin and some methoprene. Both of these have some effectiveness against fleas. (I say some because I find that these products do not work well for fleas.)

There is no claim on the label that they work for intestinal parasites. I did some research for you to see if there was any connection but could not find any.

However, my theory is that the ingredients do have some effect on roundworms. Many of the topical medications do get absorbed through the skin and can have systemic effects as well.

It is definitely a good idea to repeat a treatment with a dewormer that is meant for roundworms as there may still be more there. You will also want to repeat it in 10-14 days to make sure that you cover all the life stages.

As an additional note, I really don't recommend over the counter flea products like Hartz. I have seen so many cases where they don't work and in some cases they can be toxic especially if applied to a young puppy or to a cat.

I hope that helps!

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (21143 views)

Coughing and not eating chihuahua My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he... (7152 views)

1 month puppy can't poop. She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving... (12537 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (8971 views)

Lump near nipple. She has a lump(i think so).. It's hard, and about a marble's size in... (9463 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (113201 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (8888 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (13744 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (7256 views)

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (4641 views)