Does Hartz kill roundworms?

Breed: lab mix
well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or anything because she came from a super rural farm in MN. She was 12 weeks old and I used those flea and tick drops on her (they were from Wal-mart...Hartz brand) and the next morning I went to take her outside to potty, and there were dead worms all over the crate floor! there were A LOT! sp I was wandering.....the fleas and tick drops can kill worms too?...because it sure looked like it to me....

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Thanks for an interesting question!

Hartz flea drops are not supposed to treat roundworms (which is most likely what you saw). The ingredients in Hartz flea and tick drops are mostly phenothrin and some methoprene. Both of these have some effectiveness against fleas. (I say some because I find that these products do not work well for fleas.)

There is no claim on the label that they work for intestinal parasites. I did some research for you to see if there was any connection but could not find any.

However, my theory is that the ingredients do have some effect on roundworms. Many of the topical medications do get absorbed through the skin and can have systemic effects as well.

It is definitely a good idea to repeat a treatment with a dewormer that is meant for roundworms as there may still be more there. You will also want to repeat it in 10-14 days to make sure that you cover all the life stages.

As an additional note, I really don't recommend over the counter flea products like Hartz. I have seen so many cases where they don't work and in some cases they can be toxic especially if applied to a young puppy or to a cat.

I hope that helps!

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (10007 views)

Puppies are dying after fire. We just got a couple of pit puppies, 2 weeks old - the mother dog died in a house... (9208 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (37880 views)

Shaking and tucking tail. 3 days ago my dog, who was being taken on a walk in the morning, suddenly started... (201857 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (20840 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (14788 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (12204 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (13447 views)

Lethargic after Trifexis. Hello, Thank you for your help. My beagle, Daisy (25 lbs), ate her dose of... (30932 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (12821 views)