Does Hartz kill roundworms?

Breed: lab mix
well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or anything because she came from a super rural farm in MN. She was 12 weeks old and I used those flea and tick drops on her (they were from Wal-mart...Hartz brand) and the next morning I went to take her outside to potty, and there were dead worms all over the crate floor! there were A LOT! sp I was wandering.....the fleas and tick drops can kill worms too?...because it sure looked like it to me....

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Thanks for an interesting question!

Hartz flea drops are not supposed to treat roundworms (which is most likely what you saw). The ingredients in Hartz flea and tick drops are mostly phenothrin and some methoprene. Both of these have some effectiveness against fleas. (I say some because I find that these products do not work well for fleas.)

There is no claim on the label that they work for intestinal parasites. I did some research for you to see if there was any connection but could not find any.

However, my theory is that the ingredients do have some effect on roundworms. Many of the topical medications do get absorbed through the skin and can have systemic effects as well.

It is definitely a good idea to repeat a treatment with a dewormer that is meant for roundworms as there may still be more there. You will also want to repeat it in 10-14 days to make sure that you cover all the life stages.

As an additional note, I really don't recommend over the counter flea products like Hartz. I have seen so many cases where they don't work and in some cases they can be toxic especially if applied to a young puppy or to a cat.

I hope that helps!

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (9180 views)

Blue lump on dog's belly. Around Christmas, I noticed a blue-tinted bump, about 3 mm in diameter, on my dog's... (25736 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (121142 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (9105 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (11300 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (10869 views)

Rabbit not moving. this morning she was fine, now she is laying lifeless, her belly is flat like she... (7447 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (14553 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (6520 views)

Lump on puppy's jaw. Hi, My puppy has a lump on her face at the side just below her eye, Its roughly... (13779 views)