Does Hartz kill roundworms?

Breed: lab mix
well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or anything because she came from a super rural farm in MN. She was 12 weeks old and I used those flea and tick drops on her (they were from Wal-mart...Hartz brand) and the next morning I went to take her outside to potty, and there were dead worms all over the crate floor! there were A LOT! sp I was wandering.....the fleas and tick drops can kill worms too?...because it sure looked like it to me....

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Thanks for an interesting question!

Hartz flea drops are not supposed to treat roundworms (which is most likely what you saw). The ingredients in Hartz flea and tick drops are mostly phenothrin and some methoprene. Both of these have some effectiveness against fleas. (I say some because I find that these products do not work well for fleas.)

There is no claim on the label that they work for intestinal parasites. I did some research for you to see if there was any connection but could not find any.

However, my theory is that the ingredients do have some effect on roundworms. Many of the topical medications do get absorbed through the skin and can have systemic effects as well.

It is definitely a good idea to repeat a treatment with a dewormer that is meant for roundworms as there may still be more there. You will also want to repeat it in 10-14 days to make sure that you cover all the life stages.

As an additional note, I really don't recommend over the counter flea products like Hartz. I have seen so many cases where they don't work and in some cases they can be toxic especially if applied to a young puppy or to a cat.

I hope that helps!

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (25475 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (19590 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (18442 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (8564 views)

Dog drinking less water. Over the past week, my dog has been drinking less water than usual. She usually... (15585 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (19396 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (11685 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (9865 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (9327 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (8164 views)