Cat drinks from fish bowl.

Breed: somali
Hi!

My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering about if something can be potentially problematic or not. You see I have a fish tank, and it seems Felix would rather drink from the tank than his own water bowl. I have read something online about cats preferring running water that seems plausible, but I wonder if the fishtank water (or bacterea in it) can be harmful to Felix in any way. I live in Norway and the water here is untreated for the most part exept for the occational chlorinization treatment. I do not use water conditioners in the tank.

regards
Martin

Hi Martin,

This is definitely a unique question!

My main concern in your situation is for your poor fish! I would imagine it is a little nerve racking to have a cat drinking your swimming water. :)

Is it possible to give Felix his very own fish tank to drink from? Some cats are very particular and love to drink from a certain type of material so perhaps if you had a duplicate tank for Felix he would drink from that one? Or, you could try one of the commercially available water fountains that always keep fresh water circulating.

With that being said, it is very unlikely that drinking this water is going to cause any harm. There are no known diseases that fish can transfer to cats. Similarly, if the chlorinization is at levels that are safe for fish to live in then it's extremely unlikely it is going to cause the cat any harm.

In theory, if the tank got really dirty there could be a buildup of nitrites and ammonia, but again, if the environment was safe enough for the fish to live in then it is extremely unlikely to be harmful to Felix.

Thanks for the interesting question!

Hi again, and thanks for a informative answer:-)

Regarding the fish being scared, I think it'll be just as bad when Felix is sitting in front of the tank looking at the fish. You see I borrowed a small water proof film camera and lowered it into the tank once, and you can actually see just as well out of the tank as you can in:-P

Nitrite levels is something I regularly check so that shouldn't be a problem.(my shrimp are extremely sensitive to nitrites, and die from very low concentrations of it)

The problem isn't as serious yet, since the tank I have does have a closed top, and Felix has to open the lid to get to the water, but I'm planning a open tank and wanted to know if I had to let go of those plans or not.

I guess knowing his tendensy to drink from the tank I can be more thorough with water changes and perhaps having a over-sized biological filter in it to be sure that there won't be any nitrite spikes in it.

Thanks again for your help, It's good to not have to worry about Felix getting sick from the tank water:-)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (64264 views)

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (17556 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (22734 views)

Dog scared of people. Hi My dog is very scared of people. she is a year old and has been scared of new... (10277 views)

Bump in dog's mouth. My dog was taken for a walk her ball went under a car, she retreived her ball... (7328 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (8663 views)

Puppy has red weepy eyes. my puppies eyelids on the inside are very red and his eyes have been weeping a lot,... (10310 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7480 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (18471 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (18112 views)