Cat drinks from fish bowl.

Breed: somali
Hi!

My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering about if something can be potentially problematic or not. You see I have a fish tank, and it seems Felix would rather drink from the tank than his own water bowl. I have read something online about cats preferring running water that seems plausible, but I wonder if the fishtank water (or bacterea in it) can be harmful to Felix in any way. I live in Norway and the water here is untreated for the most part exept for the occational chlorinization treatment. I do not use water conditioners in the tank.

regards
Martin

Hi Martin,

This is definitely a unique question!

My main concern in your situation is for your poor fish! I would imagine it is a little nerve racking to have a cat drinking your swimming water. :)

Is it possible to give Felix his very own fish tank to drink from? Some cats are very particular and love to drink from a certain type of material so perhaps if you had a duplicate tank for Felix he would drink from that one? Or, you could try one of the commercially available water fountains that always keep fresh water circulating.

With that being said, it is very unlikely that drinking this water is going to cause any harm. There are no known diseases that fish can transfer to cats. Similarly, if the chlorinization is at levels that are safe for fish to live in then it's extremely unlikely it is going to cause the cat any harm.

In theory, if the tank got really dirty there could be a buildup of nitrites and ammonia, but again, if the environment was safe enough for the fish to live in then it is extremely unlikely to be harmful to Felix.

Thanks for the interesting question!

Hi again, and thanks for a informative answer:-)

Regarding the fish being scared, I think it'll be just as bad when Felix is sitting in front of the tank looking at the fish. You see I borrowed a small water proof film camera and lowered it into the tank once, and you can actually see just as well out of the tank as you can in:-P

Nitrite levels is something I regularly check so that shouldn't be a problem.(my shrimp are extremely sensitive to nitrites, and die from very low concentrations of it)

The problem isn't as serious yet, since the tank I have does have a closed top, and Felix has to open the lid to get to the water, but I'm planning a open tank and wanted to know if I had to let go of those plans or not.

I guess knowing his tendensy to drink from the tank I can be more thorough with water changes and perhaps having a over-sized biological filter in it to be sure that there won't be any nitrite spikes in it.

Thanks again for your help, It's good to not have to worry about Felix getting sick from the tank water:-)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (9295 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (9552 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (20615 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (15712 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (5133 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (16991 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (8284 views)

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (23102 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (8797 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (6277 views)