Cat drinks from fish bowl.

Breed: somali
Hi!

My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering about if something can be potentially problematic or not. You see I have a fish tank, and it seems Felix would rather drink from the tank than his own water bowl. I have read something online about cats preferring running water that seems plausible, but I wonder if the fishtank water (or bacterea in it) can be harmful to Felix in any way. I live in Norway and the water here is untreated for the most part exept for the occational chlorinization treatment. I do not use water conditioners in the tank.

regards
Martin

Hi Martin,

This is definitely a unique question!

My main concern in your situation is for your poor fish! I would imagine it is a little nerve racking to have a cat drinking your swimming water. :)

Is it possible to give Felix his very own fish tank to drink from? Some cats are very particular and love to drink from a certain type of material so perhaps if you had a duplicate tank for Felix he would drink from that one? Or, you could try one of the commercially available water fountains that always keep fresh water circulating.

With that being said, it is very unlikely that drinking this water is going to cause any harm. There are no known diseases that fish can transfer to cats. Similarly, if the chlorinization is at levels that are safe for fish to live in then it's extremely unlikely it is going to cause the cat any harm.

In theory, if the tank got really dirty there could be a buildup of nitrites and ammonia, but again, if the environment was safe enough for the fish to live in then it is extremely unlikely to be harmful to Felix.

Thanks for the interesting question!

Hi again, and thanks for a informative answer:-)

Regarding the fish being scared, I think it'll be just as bad when Felix is sitting in front of the tank looking at the fish. You see I borrowed a small water proof film camera and lowered it into the tank once, and you can actually see just as well out of the tank as you can in:-P

Nitrite levels is something I regularly check so that shouldn't be a problem.(my shrimp are extremely sensitive to nitrites, and die from very low concentrations of it)

The problem isn't as serious yet, since the tank I have does have a closed top, and Felix has to open the lid to get to the water, but I'm planning a open tank and wanted to know if I had to let go of those plans or not.

I guess knowing his tendensy to drink from the tank I can be more thorough with water changes and perhaps having a over-sized biological filter in it to be sure that there won't be any nitrite spikes in it.

Thanks again for your help, It's good to not have to worry about Felix getting sick from the tank water:-)

Anxious lab. He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son... (6958 views)

Pain in stomatitis after extractions. 9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth... (22436 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (7006 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (13933 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (17608 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (29326 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (12111 views)

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (56621 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (18022 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (9438 views)