Cerenia and buprenorphine

Breed: dsh
My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her .06 ml of buprenorphine.Will the two meds together cause her to be oversedated?
She weights 4.4 pounds

Can she pass out because of these two meds and can respiratory arrest occur at her age as I have read online.
Is there a proper way ti handle sedated cats while on these meds.

Hi and thanks for your question. These are questions that really do need to be answered by the vet who prescribed these medications for your cat. I can give you some general ideas of what to expect though.

I was not able to find any case reports of cats who had problems when given cerenia and buprenorphine at the same time. Cerenia is generally well tolerated by cats and should not cause respiratory suppression. The drug label for this medication does not indicate any known drug interactions.

Buprenorphine can cause some sedation in cats. While there are many drugs that can interact with buprenorphine or cause the side effects to be exaggerated, cerenia is not on the list.

In my opinion these drugs are probably safe to use together provided that both were prescribed by your veterinarian. If, however, you are worried or if your cat does seem overly sedated then there may be another issue going on and going back to the vet would be an excellent idea.

I hope this helps to clear things up.

Thanks for your answer.
I guess because I read that buprenorphine can cause respiratory depression,if it were to happen that my cat would stop breathing while at home what is the best way to respond.
Should I lye her in a certain position abd is cpr successful on an elderly cat?

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (24193 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (25496 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (13982 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi there, Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice... (14529 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (39471 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (27704 views)

Do dogs get sciatica? Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping... (13679 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6689 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6334 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (10440 views)