Cerenia and buprenorphine

Breed: dsh
My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her .06 ml of buprenorphine.Will the two meds together cause her to be oversedated?
She weights 4.4 pounds

Can she pass out because of these two meds and can respiratory arrest occur at her age as I have read online.
Is there a proper way ti handle sedated cats while on these meds.

Hi and thanks for your question. These are questions that really do need to be answered by the vet who prescribed these medications for your cat. I can give you some general ideas of what to expect though.

I was not able to find any case reports of cats who had problems when given cerenia and buprenorphine at the same time. Cerenia is generally well tolerated by cats and should not cause respiratory suppression. The drug label for this medication does not indicate any known drug interactions.

Buprenorphine can cause some sedation in cats. While there are many drugs that can interact with buprenorphine or cause the side effects to be exaggerated, cerenia is not on the list.

In my opinion these drugs are probably safe to use together provided that both were prescribed by your veterinarian. If, however, you are worried or if your cat does seem overly sedated then there may be another issue going on and going back to the vet would be an excellent idea.

I hope this helps to clear things up.

Thanks for your answer.
I guess because I read that buprenorphine can cause respiratory depression,if it were to happen that my cat would stop breathing while at home what is the best way to respond.
Should I lye her in a certain position abd is cpr successful on an elderly cat?

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (10858 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (12260 views)

Is this distemper? I live in Mexico and I rescued Trinket when she was 8 to 10 weeks old. She had... (8615 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (6244 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (5896 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (18487 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (11107 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (7928 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (7735 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (20915 views)