Cerenia and buprenorphine

Breed: dsh
My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her .06 ml of buprenorphine.Will the two meds together cause her to be oversedated?
She weights 4.4 pounds

Can she pass out because of these two meds and can respiratory arrest occur at her age as I have read online.
Is there a proper way ti handle sedated cats while on these meds.

Hi and thanks for your question. These are questions that really do need to be answered by the vet who prescribed these medications for your cat. I can give you some general ideas of what to expect though.

I was not able to find any case reports of cats who had problems when given cerenia and buprenorphine at the same time. Cerenia is generally well tolerated by cats and should not cause respiratory suppression. The drug label for this medication does not indicate any known drug interactions.

Buprenorphine can cause some sedation in cats. While there are many drugs that can interact with buprenorphine or cause the side effects to be exaggerated, cerenia is not on the list.

In my opinion these drugs are probably safe to use together provided that both were prescribed by your veterinarian. If, however, you are worried or if your cat does seem overly sedated then there may be another issue going on and going back to the vet would be an excellent idea.

I hope this helps to clear things up.

Thanks for your answer.
I guess because I read that buprenorphine can cause respiratory depression,if it were to happen that my cat would stop breathing while at home what is the best way to respond.
Should I lye her in a certain position abd is cpr successful on an elderly cat?

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (19785 views)

Getting a second guinea pig. So I have a male guinea pig and one of my friends can't keep hers so she is gonna... (8421 views)

Liver shunt surgery. Recently I found out that the kitten I adopted a few months ago has a Portosystemic... (8261 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (93540 views)

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (61033 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (12770 views)

Not eating, panting. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group.... (14476 views)

Dog biting at tail. I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing... (33563 views)

How to calm down hyper dog. We adopted Samson a year ago from the local shelter. He has been a great pet, highly... (10459 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (11021 views)