Dog with phlegm from mouth

Breed: rotweiller
hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the last couple of days and been sick once his stools seem ok what could this be? thanks lucy

Sorry to hear that Ping is having these problems.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing him, but I can give you a few ideas.

Is the mucus coming out just one side? If so, it is possible that he has a tooth infection. If there is a tooth infection then most of the time the tooth needs to be extracted by your vet.

Sometimes excess drooling can be because of nausea. There are many possible reasons for a dog to be nauseous ranging from an upset belly because of eating something that upset his stomach to something more serious like ingestion of something toxic to the kidneys or liver.

If Ping is still eating well and seems bright and alert then it is likely ok to wait for a few days and see how things go. However, if he seems really uncomfortable, is not eating well or is very lethargic then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope he does ok!

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (26637 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (13723 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (5627 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (8810 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (35227 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (7316 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (7760 views)

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (25002 views)

Swollen nose. My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top.... (7962 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (14114 views)