Dog with phlegm from mouth

Breed: rotweiller
hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the last couple of days and been sick once his stools seem ok what could this be? thanks lucy

Sorry to hear that Ping is having these problems.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing him, but I can give you a few ideas.

Is the mucus coming out just one side? If so, it is possible that he has a tooth infection. If there is a tooth infection then most of the time the tooth needs to be extracted by your vet.

Sometimes excess drooling can be because of nausea. There are many possible reasons for a dog to be nauseous ranging from an upset belly because of eating something that upset his stomach to something more serious like ingestion of something toxic to the kidneys or liver.

If Ping is still eating well and seems bright and alert then it is likely ok to wait for a few days and see how things go. However, if he seems really uncomfortable, is not eating well or is very lethargic then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope he does ok!

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (11878 views)

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (10282 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (26247 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (17559 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (13511 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (9319 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (7818 views)

Spinal cord lymphoma Hello Dr. Marie, Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move... (12833 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (10921 views)

Cat is very thirsty. I have a one year old cat, he eats well no concerns there, but he is consently... (10972 views)