Dog with phlegm from mouth

Breed: rotweiller
hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the last couple of days and been sick once his stools seem ok what could this be? thanks lucy

Sorry to hear that Ping is having these problems.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing him, but I can give you a few ideas.

Is the mucus coming out just one side? If so, it is possible that he has a tooth infection. If there is a tooth infection then most of the time the tooth needs to be extracted by your vet.

Sometimes excess drooling can be because of nausea. There are many possible reasons for a dog to be nauseous ranging from an upset belly because of eating something that upset his stomach to something more serious like ingestion of something toxic to the kidneys or liver.

If Ping is still eating well and seems bright and alert then it is likely ok to wait for a few days and see how things go. However, if he seems really uncomfortable, is not eating well or is very lethargic then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope he does ok!

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (9188 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (34336 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (9973 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (4385 views)

Sick guinea pig. hello, i need help. my guinea pig peppy is really dehydrated and really weak, today... (11538 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (9560 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7080 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (42511 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (12665 views)

Full anal glands. full anal... (6264 views)