Dog with phlegm from mouth

Breed: rotweiller
hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the last couple of days and been sick once his stools seem ok what could this be? thanks lucy

Sorry to hear that Ping is having these problems.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing him, but I can give you a few ideas.

Is the mucus coming out just one side? If so, it is possible that he has a tooth infection. If there is a tooth infection then most of the time the tooth needs to be extracted by your vet.

Sometimes excess drooling can be because of nausea. There are many possible reasons for a dog to be nauseous ranging from an upset belly because of eating something that upset his stomach to something more serious like ingestion of something toxic to the kidneys or liver.

If Ping is still eating well and seems bright and alert then it is likely ok to wait for a few days and see how things go. However, if he seems really uncomfortable, is not eating well or is very lethargic then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope he does ok!

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (24836 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (14022 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (11389 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (6906 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (10701 views)

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (98645 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (20629 views)

Thyroid cancer? Hello, about 10 months ago my dog started heavily panting while playing with her... (11574 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (6634 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (14242 views)