Dog with phlegm from mouth

Breed: rotweiller
hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the last couple of days and been sick once his stools seem ok what could this be? thanks lucy

Sorry to hear that Ping is having these problems.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing him, but I can give you a few ideas.

Is the mucus coming out just one side? If so, it is possible that he has a tooth infection. If there is a tooth infection then most of the time the tooth needs to be extracted by your vet.

Sometimes excess drooling can be because of nausea. There are many possible reasons for a dog to be nauseous ranging from an upset belly because of eating something that upset his stomach to something more serious like ingestion of something toxic to the kidneys or liver.

If Ping is still eating well and seems bright and alert then it is likely ok to wait for a few days and see how things go. However, if he seems really uncomfortable, is not eating well or is very lethargic then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope he does ok!

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (47859 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (14260 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (48629 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (8304 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (10607 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (8248 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (12433 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (32298 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (46932 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (17029 views)