Dog with phlegm from mouth

Breed: rotweiller
hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the last couple of days and been sick once his stools seem ok what could this be? thanks lucy

Sorry to hear that Ping is having these problems.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing him, but I can give you a few ideas.

Is the mucus coming out just one side? If so, it is possible that he has a tooth infection. If there is a tooth infection then most of the time the tooth needs to be extracted by your vet.

Sometimes excess drooling can be because of nausea. There are many possible reasons for a dog to be nauseous ranging from an upset belly because of eating something that upset his stomach to something more serious like ingestion of something toxic to the kidneys or liver.

If Ping is still eating well and seems bright and alert then it is likely ok to wait for a few days and see how things go. However, if he seems really uncomfortable, is not eating well or is very lethargic then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope he does ok!

Megacolon. my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2... (8722 views)

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (7862 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (9025 views)

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (10879 views)

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (229418 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (6923 views)

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (13985 views)

Incontinence and balance issues. We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started... (15762 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (11103 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (19345 views)