Allergic reaction and diarrhea.

Breed: Basset Hound
Dr,

My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best observation appear to be an allergic reaction. Five days ago she was at the vet for 2 issues: a recurrence of soft stool and a generalized increase in her allergies(licking paws and pits, scratching skin, discharge from eyes) The vet prescribes metroniadozle for the stool 500 mg/twice a day and 50mg 3x a day /benydryl for allergies. He also wanted us to start a food allergy test with a new food (Royal canidae hydrolized middle.)
When we got back from the vet that night, sadie was stung by a bee. 2 days after the bee sting, sadie broke out in hives all over her body. Since then she has had diarrhea once, lethargy, and vomited yellow bile today. Additionally, the hives keep returning. We took her to the emergency vet where she was given a steroid for the hives and an anti nausea med. We cannot figure out what is causing the allergic reaction and neither can our vet. What do you think the most likely cause is, bee sting, new food, metroniadozle? The bee sting seems less likely to me. She is not herself and appears lethargic still.
Thanks Dr,

Oh the poor girl! It sounds like Sadie is really having a rough time.

I have had several cases of dogs who got hives after a bee sting and those hives would go away with benadryl or steroids and then come back about 8 hours later and continue to do so for a few days. We never knew in any of those cases whether the dog was getting re-stung or whether the allergen was still in their system for a few days. I think the latter is the most likely explanation.

Most allergic reactions don't cause diarrhea that lasts for more than one or two bouts though. But, given that Sadie has known issues with allergies I think that looking into a food allergy is a good idea.

The metronidazole is very unlikely to be the cause of any of these symptoms and I would keep giving it to her. It is known to be good for dogs with intestinal inflammation and really has few side effects when given for a short term.

The new food would not cause hives, so I would keep giving that.

It does appear that your vet is doing everything that I would do. However, if things are not improving in 24 hours or if she seems like she is getting worse then I would take her back for another exam. This probably is a mild gastrointestinal issue (combined with a bee sting on top) and she should be feeling better soon, but there is a chance that there could be and underlying issue.

I hope things are better soon!

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (11172 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (19727 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (10181 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (14238 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (12906 views)

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (15280 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (7202 views)

Foot got caught in door. As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the... (20495 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (6839 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (32490 views)