Allergic reaction and diarrhea.

Breed: Basset Hound
Dr,

My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best observation appear to be an allergic reaction. Five days ago she was at the vet for 2 issues: a recurrence of soft stool and a generalized increase in her allergies(licking paws and pits, scratching skin, discharge from eyes) The vet prescribes metroniadozle for the stool 500 mg/twice a day and 50mg 3x a day /benydryl for allergies. He also wanted us to start a food allergy test with a new food (Royal canidae hydrolized middle.)
When we got back from the vet that night, sadie was stung by a bee. 2 days after the bee sting, sadie broke out in hives all over her body. Since then she has had diarrhea once, lethargy, and vomited yellow bile today. Additionally, the hives keep returning. We took her to the emergency vet where she was given a steroid for the hives and an anti nausea med. We cannot figure out what is causing the allergic reaction and neither can our vet. What do you think the most likely cause is, bee sting, new food, metroniadozle? The bee sting seems less likely to me. She is not herself and appears lethargic still.
Thanks Dr,

Oh the poor girl! It sounds like Sadie is really having a rough time.

I have had several cases of dogs who got hives after a bee sting and those hives would go away with benadryl or steroids and then come back about 8 hours later and continue to do so for a few days. We never knew in any of those cases whether the dog was getting re-stung or whether the allergen was still in their system for a few days. I think the latter is the most likely explanation.

Most allergic reactions don't cause diarrhea that lasts for more than one or two bouts though. But, given that Sadie has known issues with allergies I think that looking into a food allergy is a good idea.

The metronidazole is very unlikely to be the cause of any of these symptoms and I would keep giving it to her. It is known to be good for dogs with intestinal inflammation and really has few side effects when given for a short term.

The new food would not cause hives, so I would keep giving that.

It does appear that your vet is doing everything that I would do. However, if things are not improving in 24 hours or if she seems like she is getting worse then I would take her back for another exam. This probably is a mild gastrointestinal issue (combined with a bee sting on top) and she should be feeling better soon, but there is a chance that there could be and underlying issue.

I hope things are better soon!

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (11089 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (18425 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (5454 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (8248 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (15739 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (9135 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (18201 views)

Limping Maltipoo. My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs... (15633 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (8565 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (4461 views)