Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Allergic reaction and diarrhea.

Species: Dog
Breed: Basset Hound
Age: 2-5 years
Dr,

My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best observation appear to be an allergic reaction. Five days ago she was at the vet for 2 issues: a recurrence of soft stool and a generalized increase in her allergies(licking paws and pits, scratching skin, discharge from eyes) The vet prescribes metroniadozle for the stool 500 mg/twice a day and 50mg 3x a day /benydryl for allergies. He also wanted us to start a food allergy test with a new food (Royal canidae hydrolized middle.)
When we got back from the vet that night, sadie was stung by a bee. 2 days after the bee sting, sadie broke out in hives all over her body. Since then she has had diarrhea once, lethargy, and vomited yellow bile today. Additionally, the hives keep returning. We took her to the emergency vet where she was given a steroid for the hives and an anti nausea med. We cannot figure out what is causing the allergic reaction and neither can our vet. What do you think the most likely cause is, bee sting, new food, metroniadozle? The bee sting seems less likely to me. She is not herself and appears lethargic still.
Thanks Dr,


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh the poor girl! It sounds like Sadie is really having a rough time.

I have had several cases of dogs who got hives after a bee sting and those hives would go away with benadryl or steroids and then come back about 8 hours later and continue to do so for a few days. We never knew in any of those cases whether the dog was getting re-stung or whether the allergen was still in their system for a few days. I think the latter is the most likely explanation.

Most allergic reactions don't cause diarrhea that lasts for more than one or two bouts though. But, given that Sadie has known issues with allergies I think that looking into a food allergy is a good idea.

The metronidazole is very unlikely to be the cause of any of these symptoms and I would keep giving it to her. It is known to be good for dogs with intestinal inflammation and really has few side effects when given for a short term.

The new food would not cause hives, so I would keep giving that.

It does appear that your vet is doing everything that I would do. However, if things are not improving in 24 hours or if she seems like she is getting worse then I would take her back for another exam. This probably is a mild gastrointestinal issue (combined with a bee sting on top) and she should be feeling better soon, but there is a chance that there could be and underlying issue.

I hope things are better soon!

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (13129 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (24754 views)

Vomiting after eating. my pet vomits after eating since 20 days with brownish in color,faeces is loose with... (9420 views)

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (8859 views)

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (13241 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (11246 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (6355 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (11276 views)

Sneezing, vomiting, coughing. my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard... (24202 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (12062 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.