Allergic reaction and diarrhea.

Breed: Basset Hound
Dr,

My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best observation appear to be an allergic reaction. Five days ago she was at the vet for 2 issues: a recurrence of soft stool and a generalized increase in her allergies(licking paws and pits, scratching skin, discharge from eyes) The vet prescribes metroniadozle for the stool 500 mg/twice a day and 50mg 3x a day /benydryl for allergies. He also wanted us to start a food allergy test with a new food (Royal canidae hydrolized middle.)
When we got back from the vet that night, sadie was stung by a bee. 2 days after the bee sting, sadie broke out in hives all over her body. Since then she has had diarrhea once, lethargy, and vomited yellow bile today. Additionally, the hives keep returning. We took her to the emergency vet where she was given a steroid for the hives and an anti nausea med. We cannot figure out what is causing the allergic reaction and neither can our vet. What do you think the most likely cause is, bee sting, new food, metroniadozle? The bee sting seems less likely to me. She is not herself and appears lethargic still.
Thanks Dr,

Oh the poor girl! It sounds like Sadie is really having a rough time.

I have had several cases of dogs who got hives after a bee sting and those hives would go away with benadryl or steroids and then come back about 8 hours later and continue to do so for a few days. We never knew in any of those cases whether the dog was getting re-stung or whether the allergen was still in their system for a few days. I think the latter is the most likely explanation.

Most allergic reactions don't cause diarrhea that lasts for more than one or two bouts though. But, given that Sadie has known issues with allergies I think that looking into a food allergy is a good idea.

The metronidazole is very unlikely to be the cause of any of these symptoms and I would keep giving it to her. It is known to be good for dogs with intestinal inflammation and really has few side effects when given for a short term.

The new food would not cause hives, so I would keep giving that.

It does appear that your vet is doing everything that I would do. However, if things are not improving in 24 hours or if she seems like she is getting worse then I would take her back for another exam. This probably is a mild gastrointestinal issue (combined with a bee sting on top) and she should be feeling better soon, but there is a chance that there could be and underlying issue.

I hope things are better soon!

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (10551 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (17258 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (31618 views)

Peeing in the house. I would like a REAL solution to this, without the standard answers or suggestions(... (8145 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (7624 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (7812 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (38645 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (6586 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (14968 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (6798 views)