Allergic reaction and diarrhea.

Breed: Basset Hound
Dr,

My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best observation appear to be an allergic reaction. Five days ago she was at the vet for 2 issues: a recurrence of soft stool and a generalized increase in her allergies(licking paws and pits, scratching skin, discharge from eyes) The vet prescribes metroniadozle for the stool 500 mg/twice a day and 50mg 3x a day /benydryl for allergies. He also wanted us to start a food allergy test with a new food (Royal canidae hydrolized middle.)
When we got back from the vet that night, sadie was stung by a bee. 2 days after the bee sting, sadie broke out in hives all over her body. Since then she has had diarrhea once, lethargy, and vomited yellow bile today. Additionally, the hives keep returning. We took her to the emergency vet where she was given a steroid for the hives and an anti nausea med. We cannot figure out what is causing the allergic reaction and neither can our vet. What do you think the most likely cause is, bee sting, new food, metroniadozle? The bee sting seems less likely to me. She is not herself and appears lethargic still.
Thanks Dr,

Oh the poor girl! It sounds like Sadie is really having a rough time.

I have had several cases of dogs who got hives after a bee sting and those hives would go away with benadryl or steroids and then come back about 8 hours later and continue to do so for a few days. We never knew in any of those cases whether the dog was getting re-stung or whether the allergen was still in their system for a few days. I think the latter is the most likely explanation.

Most allergic reactions don't cause diarrhea that lasts for more than one or two bouts though. But, given that Sadie has known issues with allergies I think that looking into a food allergy is a good idea.

The metronidazole is very unlikely to be the cause of any of these symptoms and I would keep giving it to her. It is known to be good for dogs with intestinal inflammation and really has few side effects when given for a short term.

The new food would not cause hives, so I would keep giving that.

It does appear that your vet is doing everything that I would do. However, if things are not improving in 24 hours or if she seems like she is getting worse then I would take her back for another exam. This probably is a mild gastrointestinal issue (combined with a bee sting on top) and she should be feeling better soon, but there is a chance that there could be and underlying issue.

I hope things are better soon!

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (14179 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (6550 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (41755 views)

Chihuahua with loose teeth. My Chihuahua's teeth are starting to get very loose. She is only two years old,... (11922 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (11889 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (16042 views)

Bladder cancer. Our almost 10 year old kitty has had three recurrent bouts of uti or cystitis in the... (6141 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (5406 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (4906 views)

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (12038 views)