Anal gland problems.

Breed: Cane Corso
Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's anal glands. She does not express them on her own and when myself or my boss (the vet) expresses them it is very difficult to express and causes her discomfort. Her stools are firm and she goes often. My boss was thinking if she could possible have under developed anal gland ducts causing the difficulty with expressing them and wanted to know what would be done about this if you have ever heard of it. I would GREATLY appreciate any information you have in the matter.

I've never heard of a dog having under developed anal gland ducts. I have had some dogs where I believe that the ducts can get scarred from having chronic anal gland problems though, so perhaps this is the case.

If it is really difficult to express Beretta's glands you may want to talk to your vet about having the glands removed.

Does Hartz kill roundworms? well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or... (11086 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (12142 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (12198 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (16981 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (32760 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (9020 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (11851 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (21042 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (8991 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (60977 views)