Anal gland problems.

Breed: Cane Corso
Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's anal glands. She does not express them on her own and when myself or my boss (the vet) expresses them it is very difficult to express and causes her discomfort. Her stools are firm and she goes often. My boss was thinking if she could possible have under developed anal gland ducts causing the difficulty with expressing them and wanted to know what would be done about this if you have ever heard of it. I would GREATLY appreciate any information you have in the matter.

I've never heard of a dog having under developed anal gland ducts. I have had some dogs where I believe that the ducts can get scarred from having chronic anal gland problems though, so perhaps this is the case.

If it is really difficult to express Beretta's glands you may want to talk to your vet about having the glands removed.

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (9397 views)

Dog inhaled bleach. Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my... (44406 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (7834 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (8432 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (13248 views)

Vaginal bleeding in cat. my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with... (18288 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (9379 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (11285 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (17885 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (4585 views)