Metronidazole and liver disease.

Breed: wire-haired dachshun
My dog was diagnosed with sudden liver failure brought on by Interceptor. He got very sick 2 days after taking it.

He was immediately put on NovaMoxin, Nova Sucralate, Zentonil, Vitamin K, Vitamin E, Milk Thistle and Metronidazole.

Here is my problem - he throws up every time after I give him Metronidazole so I did some research and am reading that Metronidazole should not be given to a dog with a compromised liver. He has been on it for three months now and is getting worse. My concerns are falling on deaf ears. I have so little hope but I feel I should stop the Metronidazole. I think I am losing him regardless but what is your opinion regarding Metronidazole for a dog in liver failure?

Thank you so much.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that this happened to Louie.

I can understand why you are unsure about the Metronidazole as the information that is available about Metronidazole is confusing.

Metronidazole is actually commonly given to animals with liver disease. It is known to help fight the type of bacteria that can complicate liver disease and also helps with inflammation in the liver as well. It's really a good drug to help the liver.

Metronidazole can cause liver enzymes to appear artificially higher than they are, but this doesn't mean that it is damaging the liver.

However, an important thing to note is that when we use Metronidazole for a dog with liver disease we tend to use a lower dose than we would with a healthy animal. So, let's assume your dog weighs 25 lbs. In a healthy dog I would be prescribing approximately 250mg metronidazole twice daily. But for a dog with some liver problems I would be using 27-100 mg twice daily.

If a dog with liver disease was receiving too much metronidazole, it doesn't make the liver disease worse. Instead, the diseased liver is not able to metabolize the metronidazole properly and so it is similar to a dog receiving way too high a dose. The symptoms we would see would be neurological symptoms like tremors and seizures, but not vomiting.

I don't think we can blame the metronidazole for Louie's vomiting. I know he is on a lot of medicines already but you may want to ask your vet about putting him on an anti-vomiting medicine. Sucralfate does have some protective effect on the stomach, but there are other drugs that can help with the vomiting and nausea as well.

Thank you so much for your response. I am feeling a little bit better regarding the vomitting. Louie is 40lbs, well 37 as of three days ago, and he is getting 200mg every 12 hrs which seems high. We have noticed some pacing and head pressing. I think we are losing this battle. Thank you so much for your answer, We will contunue to fight as long as he is fighting. Thank goodness for vets like you who offer this service.

200mg of metronidazole every 12 hours is a little higher than I would normally give to a dog with liver disease.

You may want to ask your vet if they would recommend lowering the dose. The dose that I use for dogs with liver disease is 7.5mg/kg twice daily. This would be closer to 125 mg twice daily. However, the extra 75 mg is really not likely to be causing problems.

Poor Louie. The head pressing is a cause for concern. This can mean that the liver is not detoxifying ammonia properly. You may want to ask your vet about adding some lactulose which is a medication that can help to fight that.

Keep fighting with Louie! I pray that he makes a full recovery. The liver is an amazing organ and if there is any healthy liver present then there is a chance for recovery.

Thank you Dr. Marie. You are a saint. I will make another appointment to ask for a reduction in dosage and to add lactulose. I wish I would have found your services two months ago. Keep on doing what you are doing. You are providing such a wonderful service for people who would like another professional opinion. I have bookmarked your site. We own 4 dogs so I am sure I will be back. Bless you.

Thanks for the kind words! Feel free to come back if you have more questions!!!

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (8090 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (8321 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (45219 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (9233 views)

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (4091 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (12653 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (5806 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (4540 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (36177 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (13710 views)