Dog hurt her leg.

Breed: border collie cross
hi
my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't stand without help,we are worried and not sure if this injury requires vet help,she doesn't seem in pain as she doesn't cry or whine when we touch her.

I'm sorry to hear that Trixey is having problems. It's always hard to talk about limping issues without actually being able to examine your dog but I'll give you some of my thoughts and that can help you to decide whether she needs to be seen.

I often hear people say that they believe their dog is not in pain in a situation like this. However, if she is not putting weight on her leg, then she definitely is in pain. The reason she is not putting weight on the leg is because it hurts. Dogs tend to not complain like humans do.

Here are my criteria when it comes to deciding whether a dog with a sore leg should see the vet:

-Is she bearing any weight? If she can't put weight on the leg at all and this has been happening for more than an hour, then she needs to see the vet.

-If she is able to bear weight, but not much, and things don't improve after 48 hours then she needs to be seen.

-If you feel that she is uncomfortable then follow your gut and have a vet see her.

There really isn't much that you can give her at home to help. Any over the counter medicines are either going to be not effective or potentially dangerous to her.

There are a great number of things this may be. It could be a fracture in her pelvis, hip or somewhere in her leg. It could be a torn ligament in the knee. If it is a front leg it could be severe arthritis in the elbow.

If you can tell which joint is sore, she may get some relief from putting an ice pack on the joint for 10 minutes 3-4 times per day.

Hopefully she can see her vet soon! The vet will do a good exam and will likely need to take some xrays to find out what the problem is.

When to neuter my dog. Hi, I have an 8 month old 63 lb male intact golden retriver. When should I neuter... (7970 views)

Sore shoulder. My cat just came home yesterday with a mild limp (indoor-outdoor cat)He whines a... (15671 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (6871 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (16386 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (10385 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (5881 views)

Paralyzed Rottweiler. 10 yr old rottie mix 100 lbs suddenly became unable to move or walk 5 days ago. He... (12840 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (8201 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (10309 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (20406 views)