Dog hurt her leg.

Breed: border collie cross
hi
my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't stand without help,we are worried and not sure if this injury requires vet help,she doesn't seem in pain as she doesn't cry or whine when we touch her.

I'm sorry to hear that Trixey is having problems. It's always hard to talk about limping issues without actually being able to examine your dog but I'll give you some of my thoughts and that can help you to decide whether she needs to be seen.

I often hear people say that they believe their dog is not in pain in a situation like this. However, if she is not putting weight on her leg, then she definitely is in pain. The reason she is not putting weight on the leg is because it hurts. Dogs tend to not complain like humans do.

Here are my criteria when it comes to deciding whether a dog with a sore leg should see the vet:

-Is she bearing any weight? If she can't put weight on the leg at all and this has been happening for more than an hour, then she needs to see the vet.

-If she is able to bear weight, but not much, and things don't improve after 48 hours then she needs to be seen.

-If you feel that she is uncomfortable then follow your gut and have a vet see her.

There really isn't much that you can give her at home to help. Any over the counter medicines are either going to be not effective or potentially dangerous to her.

There are a great number of things this may be. It could be a fracture in her pelvis, hip or somewhere in her leg. It could be a torn ligament in the knee. If it is a front leg it could be severe arthritis in the elbow.

If you can tell which joint is sore, she may get some relief from putting an ice pack on the joint for 10 minutes 3-4 times per day.

Hopefully she can see her vet soon! The vet will do a good exam and will likely need to take some xrays to find out what the problem is.

Is my dog pregnant? i think my dog is pregnet she has big nipples and she is getting lazy she was in... (6606 views)

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (29118 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (16340 views)

Hartz and Advantage. I gave my cat Hartz one spot flea treatment and it doesnt work grrrr, i gave it on... (11288 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (12380 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (15878 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (5916 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (17317 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (8916 views)

Kittens have tapeworm. Hello, About 4-5 weeks ago I adopted 2 12 week old kittens. They are littermates... (38019 views)