Dog hurt her leg.

Breed: border collie cross
hi
my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't stand without help,we are worried and not sure if this injury requires vet help,she doesn't seem in pain as she doesn't cry or whine when we touch her.

I'm sorry to hear that Trixey is having problems. It's always hard to talk about limping issues without actually being able to examine your dog but I'll give you some of my thoughts and that can help you to decide whether she needs to be seen.

I often hear people say that they believe their dog is not in pain in a situation like this. However, if she is not putting weight on her leg, then she definitely is in pain. The reason she is not putting weight on the leg is because it hurts. Dogs tend to not complain like humans do.

Here are my criteria when it comes to deciding whether a dog with a sore leg should see the vet:

-Is she bearing any weight? If she can't put weight on the leg at all and this has been happening for more than an hour, then she needs to see the vet.

-If she is able to bear weight, but not much, and things don't improve after 48 hours then she needs to be seen.

-If you feel that she is uncomfortable then follow your gut and have a vet see her.

There really isn't much that you can give her at home to help. Any over the counter medicines are either going to be not effective or potentially dangerous to her.

There are a great number of things this may be. It could be a fracture in her pelvis, hip or somewhere in her leg. It could be a torn ligament in the knee. If it is a front leg it could be severe arthritis in the elbow.

If you can tell which joint is sore, she may get some relief from putting an ice pack on the joint for 10 minutes 3-4 times per day.

Hopefully she can see her vet soon! The vet will do a good exam and will likely need to take some xrays to find out what the problem is.

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (16982 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (30248 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (7736 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (33640 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (4538 views)

Died after grooming. Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to... (8301 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (5801 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (7376 views)

Rabbit euthanasia questions. I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to... (5749 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (21617 views)