Vaccine squirted onto skin.

Breed: Maltese
OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and when I gave the vaccine the needle went through skin and back out other side. The have a lot of fur.so I did not know, I injected the vaccine only to have it come out on me, I did this to both of them and when I did my yorkie that's when I noticed her fur was wet. And ways most of the vaccine was on me but both dogs licked the wet spot on my pants where vaccine had landed. My question is will this give them parvo( I know the virus is live and when you vaccinate them you basically give them parvo). And if not when do I need to vaccinat them again, but I'm very worried my babies will get very sick. Help please.

Thank you for your question.

Your dogs are extremely unlikely to get sick from licking the vaccine. They definitely will not get parvo from ingesting the vaccine.

Regarding revaccination, this is a tough question to answer. It really depends on how much vaccine was likely to have been injected. If you are quite certain that none of the vaccination was actually injected under the skin then I would likely repeat the vaccination now. However, if you feel that a portion of the vaccine was actually injected into the puppy then I would likely wait two weeks to vaccinate and then do the third vaccine one month after that.

Ideally, I would recommend having your veterinarian administer the vaccines as there are a number of things that can potentially go wrong when vaccinating puppies. In Canada, where I practice it is only legal for veterinarians to administer vaccines. (In some situations veterinary technicians can do so if there is a vet in the same building as them.)

Hopefully that answers your question!

Thank you for your reply this is the first time this has ever happened to me and I have given a few vaccines. Anyhow I was just wondering the mechanics of the vaccine because of ingestion versus intramuscular injection. Just wondering how ingestion wouldn't hurt them anyways thank you so very much

You're very welcome! Hope your little ones do well!

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (34679 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (11661 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (13858 views)

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (5968 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (13979 views)

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (27015 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (13993 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (13286 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (17183 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (53894 views)