Vaccine squirted onto skin.

Breed: Maltese
OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and when I gave the vaccine the needle went through skin and back out other side. The have a lot of fur.so I did not know, I injected the vaccine only to have it come out on me, I did this to both of them and when I did my yorkie that's when I noticed her fur was wet. And ways most of the vaccine was on me but both dogs licked the wet spot on my pants where vaccine had landed. My question is will this give them parvo( I know the virus is live and when you vaccinate them you basically give them parvo). And if not when do I need to vaccinat them again, but I'm very worried my babies will get very sick. Help please.

Thank you for your question.

Your dogs are extremely unlikely to get sick from licking the vaccine. They definitely will not get parvo from ingesting the vaccine.

Regarding revaccination, this is a tough question to answer. It really depends on how much vaccine was likely to have been injected. If you are quite certain that none of the vaccination was actually injected under the skin then I would likely repeat the vaccination now. However, if you feel that a portion of the vaccine was actually injected into the puppy then I would likely wait two weeks to vaccinate and then do the third vaccine one month after that.

Ideally, I would recommend having your veterinarian administer the vaccines as there are a number of things that can potentially go wrong when vaccinating puppies. In Canada, where I practice it is only legal for veterinarians to administer vaccines. (In some situations veterinary technicians can do so if there is a vet in the same building as them.)

Hopefully that answers your question!

Thank you for your reply this is the first time this has ever happened to me and I have given a few vaccines. Anyhow I was just wondering the mechanics of the vaccine because of ingestion versus intramuscular injection. Just wondering how ingestion wouldn't hurt them anyways thank you so very much

You're very welcome! Hope your little ones do well!

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (11757 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (6531 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (16070 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (21152 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (123616 views)

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (4790 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (6176 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (10879 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (12720 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (9401 views)