Vaccine squirted onto skin.

Breed: Maltese
OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and when I gave the vaccine the needle went through skin and back out other side. The have a lot of fur.so I did not know, I injected the vaccine only to have it come out on me, I did this to both of them and when I did my yorkie that's when I noticed her fur was wet. And ways most of the vaccine was on me but both dogs licked the wet spot on my pants where vaccine had landed. My question is will this give them parvo( I know the virus is live and when you vaccinate them you basically give them parvo). And if not when do I need to vaccinat them again, but I'm very worried my babies will get very sick. Help please.

Thank you for your question.

Your dogs are extremely unlikely to get sick from licking the vaccine. They definitely will not get parvo from ingesting the vaccine.

Regarding revaccination, this is a tough question to answer. It really depends on how much vaccine was likely to have been injected. If you are quite certain that none of the vaccination was actually injected under the skin then I would likely repeat the vaccination now. However, if you feel that a portion of the vaccine was actually injected into the puppy then I would likely wait two weeks to vaccinate and then do the third vaccine one month after that.

Ideally, I would recommend having your veterinarian administer the vaccines as there are a number of things that can potentially go wrong when vaccinating puppies. In Canada, where I practice it is only legal for veterinarians to administer vaccines. (In some situations veterinary technicians can do so if there is a vet in the same building as them.)

Hopefully that answers your question!

Thank you for your reply this is the first time this has ever happened to me and I have given a few vaccines. Anyhow I was just wondering the mechanics of the vaccine because of ingestion versus intramuscular injection. Just wondering how ingestion wouldn't hurt them anyways thank you so very much

You're very welcome! Hope your little ones do well!

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (51928 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (11843 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (32888 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (11012 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (8222 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (5619 views)

Fleas, pale nose and sick. My cat Ava has lost alomot all of her hair and so much weight i can see her hip... (6021 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (27201 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (6097 views)

Gray spot near a dog's penis. My dog has gray spot on the bottom by his penis is this normal? He never had them... (12851 views)