Vaccine squirted onto skin.

Breed: Maltese
OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and when I gave the vaccine the needle went through skin and back out other side. The have a lot of fur.so I did not know, I injected the vaccine only to have it come out on me, I did this to both of them and when I did my yorkie that's when I noticed her fur was wet. And ways most of the vaccine was on me but both dogs licked the wet spot on my pants where vaccine had landed. My question is will this give them parvo( I know the virus is live and when you vaccinate them you basically give them parvo). And if not when do I need to vaccinat them again, but I'm very worried my babies will get very sick. Help please.

Thank you for your question.

Your dogs are extremely unlikely to get sick from licking the vaccine. They definitely will not get parvo from ingesting the vaccine.

Regarding revaccination, this is a tough question to answer. It really depends on how much vaccine was likely to have been injected. If you are quite certain that none of the vaccination was actually injected under the skin then I would likely repeat the vaccination now. However, if you feel that a portion of the vaccine was actually injected into the puppy then I would likely wait two weeks to vaccinate and then do the third vaccine one month after that.

Ideally, I would recommend having your veterinarian administer the vaccines as there are a number of things that can potentially go wrong when vaccinating puppies. In Canada, where I practice it is only legal for veterinarians to administer vaccines. (In some situations veterinary technicians can do so if there is a vet in the same building as them.)

Hopefully that answers your question!

Thank you for your reply this is the first time this has ever happened to me and I have given a few vaccines. Anyhow I was just wondering the mechanics of the vaccine because of ingestion versus intramuscular injection. Just wondering how ingestion wouldn't hurt them anyways thank you so very much

You're very welcome! Hope your little ones do well!

Paralyzed chihuahua My Dog Was Lost For 2 days and i found him 12-11-10 at 4pm curled up in a ball... (8487 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (16592 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (5987 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (24250 views)

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (25815 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (8806 views)

Dehydrated and trouble breathing. I found my cat yesterday just lying on the ground, he can't lift his head, yesterday... (7601 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (158560 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (8704 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (8289 views)