Vaccine squirted onto skin.

Breed: Maltese
OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and when I gave the vaccine the needle went through skin and back out other side. The have a lot of fur.so I did not know, I injected the vaccine only to have it come out on me, I did this to both of them and when I did my yorkie that's when I noticed her fur was wet. And ways most of the vaccine was on me but both dogs licked the wet spot on my pants where vaccine had landed. My question is will this give them parvo( I know the virus is live and when you vaccinate them you basically give them parvo). And if not when do I need to vaccinat them again, but I'm very worried my babies will get very sick. Help please.

Thank you for your question.

Your dogs are extremely unlikely to get sick from licking the vaccine. They definitely will not get parvo from ingesting the vaccine.

Regarding revaccination, this is a tough question to answer. It really depends on how much vaccine was likely to have been injected. If you are quite certain that none of the vaccination was actually injected under the skin then I would likely repeat the vaccination now. However, if you feel that a portion of the vaccine was actually injected into the puppy then I would likely wait two weeks to vaccinate and then do the third vaccine one month after that.

Ideally, I would recommend having your veterinarian administer the vaccines as there are a number of things that can potentially go wrong when vaccinating puppies. In Canada, where I practice it is only legal for veterinarians to administer vaccines. (In some situations veterinary technicians can do so if there is a vet in the same building as them.)

Hopefully that answers your question!

Thank you for your reply this is the first time this has ever happened to me and I have given a few vaccines. Anyhow I was just wondering the mechanics of the vaccine because of ingestion versus intramuscular injection. Just wondering how ingestion wouldn't hurt them anyways thank you so very much

You're very welcome! Hope your little ones do well!

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (21769 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (9261 views)

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (15155 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (11764 views)

Cat with bloody diarrhea iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i... (7013 views)

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (11824 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (6660 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (25279 views)

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (6799 views)

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (28074 views)