Bad smell on dog.

Breed: doxie
Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on, the couch, floor, blanket, etc. needs to be cleaned when this happens. It's disgusting. It happens off and on. She has already been in heat about a month ago, so that's not it. Can you help us? She clears out the room when this happens. She also licks that area alot when this happens.

Well this sounds like an unpleasant problem!

If the smell is truly coming from her vaginal area then she may have an infection either in her vagina, her vulva, or in the skin folds on either side of the vuvla. If this is the case she'll need some antibiotic tablets prescribed by the vet.

However, if the smell is just coming periodically I'm wondering if this is a problem with her anal glands. You can read more about this type of problem here:

Anal Glands.

In either case though it sounds like she needs to see her vet!

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (4749 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Is my dog dying? My dog vomitted yesterday, then she had a very loose stool in my kitchen. She never... (31606 views)

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (59822 views)

Full anal glands. full anal... (6351 views)

Tapazole not working. Miss Kitty who is spayed and about 13 yrs old (we rescued her) was recently... (7836 views)

High bile acids Hi Dr. Marie Over the course of the past 9 months, my dog Oreo's liver enzymes... (45369 views)

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (18017 views)

Is hamster hibernating or dead? My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her... (49849 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (5372 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (36513 views)