Luxating patella.

Breed: boston terrier
hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i notice that she lifts her left back leg and can't walk on it....i gently felt it to see if there is any muscle cramp or joint dislocation...although i am not an expert i didn't feel anything, so what i did is gently moved her leg, just like stretching...then i felt a slight 'click' as if here joint 'popped' back into place...this has happened several times the last week(it occurs randomly during walks, once when going up stairs)...my stretching technique has worked every time and i am able to 'pop' her leg back into place and she walks fine after that....when i 'pop' it into place she does not seem to be in any pain....i started giving her 'joint rescue' containing glucosamine, msm, sea cucumber and chondroitin...she is not overweight and i usually give her chicken breast, or cook some vegetables with meat for her (no canned food since i have had her, which is about 7 months) i just lost my job and really cannot afford a vet...if it was an emergency i would of course take her to the vet, but i am trying to exhaust all other options....please help me by telling me what you think it is, and what you think i should do whether it consists of visiting the vet, exercise, diet etc,,,thank you for reading my issue

It sounds like what you are describing could be something called a luxating patella. This is relatively common in dogs. Sometimes when I see it in a growing puppy, it does resolve itself and get better as the puppy grows.

It is not a painful thing. However, if it stays out more often than in, then as Chelsea grows she can develop arthritis symptoms in that joint. If it is not getting better you may need to talk to the vet about having surgery done. Dogs tend to recover from patellar luxation surgery very easily.

Some supplements of glucosamine plus chondroitin can be a little bit helpful with joint issues. However, many of the ones you can buy do not contain good quality ingredients. One that I have found has been helpful is one called Cosequin.

With that being said, no supplement is going to heal a luxating patella. Only time, or perhaps surgery will do that.

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (6448 views)

Sore black lab? Hi, I have a 6 1/2 year old extremely active Black Lab named Miller. He loves to... (21018 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (11750 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (16985 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (7452 views)

Dog on You Don't Mess with the Zohan. ok im very stressed what type of dog is on the movie You Don't Mess With The Zohan?... (12503 views)

Yellow vaginal discharge. my female cat has yellow vaginal discharge what does this mean? is it a sign of... (12202 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (19832 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (26862 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (6282 views)