Luxating patella.

Breed: boston terrier
hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i notice that she lifts her left back leg and can't walk on it....i gently felt it to see if there is any muscle cramp or joint dislocation...although i am not an expert i didn't feel anything, so what i did is gently moved her leg, just like stretching...then i felt a slight 'click' as if here joint 'popped' back into place...this has happened several times the last week(it occurs randomly during walks, once when going up stairs)...my stretching technique has worked every time and i am able to 'pop' her leg back into place and she walks fine after that....when i 'pop' it into place she does not seem to be in any pain....i started giving her 'joint rescue' containing glucosamine, msm, sea cucumber and chondroitin...she is not overweight and i usually give her chicken breast, or cook some vegetables with meat for her (no canned food since i have had her, which is about 7 months) i just lost my job and really cannot afford a vet...if it was an emergency i would of course take her to the vet, but i am trying to exhaust all other options....please help me by telling me what you think it is, and what you think i should do whether it consists of visiting the vet, exercise, diet etc,,,thank you for reading my issue

It sounds like what you are describing could be something called a luxating patella. This is relatively common in dogs. Sometimes when I see it in a growing puppy, it does resolve itself and get better as the puppy grows.

It is not a painful thing. However, if it stays out more often than in, then as Chelsea grows she can develop arthritis symptoms in that joint. If it is not getting better you may need to talk to the vet about having surgery done. Dogs tend to recover from patellar luxation surgery very easily.

Some supplements of glucosamine plus chondroitin can be a little bit helpful with joint issues. However, many of the ones you can buy do not contain good quality ingredients. One that I have found has been helpful is one called Cosequin.

With that being said, no supplement is going to heal a luxating patella. Only time, or perhaps surgery will do that.

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (16548 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (21638 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (23261 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (8850 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (13368 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (78730 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (18373 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (50073 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (21921 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (16766 views)