Shedding calicivirus.

Breed: siamese
Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be able to get rid of it. We have tried interferon treatment unsuccessfully.
Thanks

This is a tough question. Most cats with calicivirus will eventually get rid of the organism, but approximately 30% can go on to become carriers of the virus. Unfortunately, when that happens there is nothing we can do to make them not carriers.

Regarding breeding, it is not believed that a cat who is a carrier of FCV will genetically transmit the virus to her kittens. However, I am suspicious that it is possible that the ability to become a carrier can be spread through genetics.

The other concern though is that once the kittens are born, if the mom comes down with a bout of calicivirus then she can spread it to the babies directly.

So, there is no perfect answer to your question. Given the choice, however, I would not breed this cat.

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (38485 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (10392 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (43535 views)

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (9237 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (52746 views)

Can't walk, dehydrated puppy. My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously... (17089 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (19577 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (25786 views)

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (36231 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (34539 views)