Shedding calicivirus.

Breed: siamese
Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be able to get rid of it. We have tried interferon treatment unsuccessfully.
Thanks

This is a tough question. Most cats with calicivirus will eventually get rid of the organism, but approximately 30% can go on to become carriers of the virus. Unfortunately, when that happens there is nothing we can do to make them not carriers.

Regarding breeding, it is not believed that a cat who is a carrier of FCV will genetically transmit the virus to her kittens. However, I am suspicious that it is possible that the ability to become a carrier can be spread through genetics.

The other concern though is that once the kittens are born, if the mom comes down with a bout of calicivirus then she can spread it to the babies directly.

So, there is no perfect answer to your question. Given the choice, however, I would not breed this cat.

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (42778 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (11709 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (17478 views)

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (51468 views)

Coughing. Antifungals. My seven year old, male Lab cross, Nero, has a strange condition that I have not... (6676 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (17855 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (18541 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (7826 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (12328 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (10372 views)