Shedding calicivirus.

Breed: siamese
Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be able to get rid of it. We have tried interferon treatment unsuccessfully.
Thanks

This is a tough question. Most cats with calicivirus will eventually get rid of the organism, but approximately 30% can go on to become carriers of the virus. Unfortunately, when that happens there is nothing we can do to make them not carriers.

Regarding breeding, it is not believed that a cat who is a carrier of FCV will genetically transmit the virus to her kittens. However, I am suspicious that it is possible that the ability to become a carrier can be spread through genetics.

The other concern though is that once the kittens are born, if the mom comes down with a bout of calicivirus then she can spread it to the babies directly.

So, there is no perfect answer to your question. Given the choice, however, I would not breed this cat.

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (7155 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (42385 views)

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (11724 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (16154 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (90318 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (24022 views)

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (43402 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (71710 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (39434 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (14689 views)