Shedding calicivirus.

Breed: siamese
Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be able to get rid of it. We have tried interferon treatment unsuccessfully.
Thanks

This is a tough question. Most cats with calicivirus will eventually get rid of the organism, but approximately 30% can go on to become carriers of the virus. Unfortunately, when that happens there is nothing we can do to make them not carriers.

Regarding breeding, it is not believed that a cat who is a carrier of FCV will genetically transmit the virus to her kittens. However, I am suspicious that it is possible that the ability to become a carrier can be spread through genetics.

The other concern though is that once the kittens are born, if the mom comes down with a bout of calicivirus then she can spread it to the babies directly.

So, there is no perfect answer to your question. Given the choice, however, I would not breed this cat.

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (18458 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (19230 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (13793 views)

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (18058 views)

Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy. Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks... (8827 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (4478 views)

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (12027 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (7225 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (5432 views)

Treatments for IBD in dogs. My dog has IBD, biopsy diagnosis. Tested feb 2010 mild fib rising lymphocytic... (12377 views)