Shedding calicivirus.

Breed: siamese
Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be able to get rid of it. We have tried interferon treatment unsuccessfully.
Thanks

This is a tough question. Most cats with calicivirus will eventually get rid of the organism, but approximately 30% can go on to become carriers of the virus. Unfortunately, when that happens there is nothing we can do to make them not carriers.

Regarding breeding, it is not believed that a cat who is a carrier of FCV will genetically transmit the virus to her kittens. However, I am suspicious that it is possible that the ability to become a carrier can be spread through genetics.

The other concern though is that once the kittens are born, if the mom comes down with a bout of calicivirus then she can spread it to the babies directly.

So, there is no perfect answer to your question. Given the choice, however, I would not breed this cat.

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (7974 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (7543 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (9267 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (30128 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (14333 views)

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (7897 views)

White vaginal discharge. Dr. Marie, My female unspayed GSD 4yrs old has a milky like discharge from her... (18230 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (6091 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (16271 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (22495 views)