Sunscreen for cats and dogs.

Breed: DSH
My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you could recommend a sunscreen that I could put on him.

Thanks for an interesting question!

Most cats don't need a sunscreen, but a white can can be more prone to getting sun related problems such as skin cancer, so it's not a bad idea to give some sunscreen a try.

One of the problems is that cats will usually lick off sunscreen, especially if you put it on the front of his nose.

You can find sunscreens that are made specifically for pets. (Sorry I don't know a specific example for you). Or, a sunscreen for human babies is appropriate as well. Most sunscreens made for adults have warnings on the bottle that warn against ingestion. So, if the bottle says, "Do not ingest", then don't put it on your cat!

Things to stay away from in a suntan lotion for pets include:
  • Zinc. (Zinc is not good if ingested by an animal.)

• Fragrance.

• The ingredient Octyl Salicylate

The best places to apply sunscreen on a cat are the nose (you can apply it on the bridge and on the front of the nose, but it is likely to be immediately licked off the front), ear tips, skin surrounding the lips, and anywhere where there is low pigmentation.

The same information applies to dogs as well.

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (6546 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (16925 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (8891 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (10325 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (7229 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (10226 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (19399 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (9126 views)

Pain in stomatitis after extractions. 9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth... (19082 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (13563 views)