Sunscreen for cats and dogs.

Breed: DSH
My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you could recommend a sunscreen that I could put on him.

Thanks for an interesting question!

Most cats don't need a sunscreen, but a white can can be more prone to getting sun related problems such as skin cancer, so it's not a bad idea to give some sunscreen a try.

One of the problems is that cats will usually lick off sunscreen, especially if you put it on the front of his nose.

You can find sunscreens that are made specifically for pets. (Sorry I don't know a specific example for you). Or, a sunscreen for human babies is appropriate as well. Most sunscreens made for adults have warnings on the bottle that warn against ingestion. So, if the bottle says, "Do not ingest", then don't put it on your cat!

Things to stay away from in a suntan lotion for pets include:
  • Zinc. (Zinc is not good if ingested by an animal.)

• Fragrance.

• The ingredient Octyl Salicylate

The best places to apply sunscreen on a cat are the nose (you can apply it on the bridge and on the front of the nose, but it is likely to be immediately licked off the front), ear tips, skin surrounding the lips, and anywhere where there is low pigmentation.

The same information applies to dogs as well.

How long is FIP contagious? Hi Marie. Here's my situation. Adopted Charlie in August 2010. On March 1, this year... (19712 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (16370 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (23747 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (16795 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (8365 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (11578 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (29512 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (54776 views)

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (63907 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (10520 views)