Sunscreen for cats and dogs.

Breed: DSH
My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you could recommend a sunscreen that I could put on him.

Thanks for an interesting question!

Most cats don't need a sunscreen, but a white can can be more prone to getting sun related problems such as skin cancer, so it's not a bad idea to give some sunscreen a try.

One of the problems is that cats will usually lick off sunscreen, especially if you put it on the front of his nose.

You can find sunscreens that are made specifically for pets. (Sorry I don't know a specific example for you). Or, a sunscreen for human babies is appropriate as well. Most sunscreens made for adults have warnings on the bottle that warn against ingestion. So, if the bottle says, "Do not ingest", then don't put it on your cat!

Things to stay away from in a suntan lotion for pets include:
  • Zinc. (Zinc is not good if ingested by an animal.)

• Fragrance.

• The ingredient Octyl Salicylate

The best places to apply sunscreen on a cat are the nose (you can apply it on the bridge and on the front of the nose, but it is likely to be immediately licked off the front), ear tips, skin surrounding the lips, and anywhere where there is low pigmentation.

The same information applies to dogs as well.

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (15355 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (10021 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (34184 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (51871 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (16107 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (38302 views)

Cat with bald belly. Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia)... (13737 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (10441 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (175841 views)

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (13137 views)