Sunscreen for cats and dogs.

Breed: DSH
My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you could recommend a sunscreen that I could put on him.

Thanks for an interesting question!

Most cats don't need a sunscreen, but a white can can be more prone to getting sun related problems such as skin cancer, so it's not a bad idea to give some sunscreen a try.

One of the problems is that cats will usually lick off sunscreen, especially if you put it on the front of his nose.

You can find sunscreens that are made specifically for pets. (Sorry I don't know a specific example for you). Or, a sunscreen for human babies is appropriate as well. Most sunscreens made for adults have warnings on the bottle that warn against ingestion. So, if the bottle says, "Do not ingest", then don't put it on your cat!

Things to stay away from in a suntan lotion for pets include:
  • Zinc. (Zinc is not good if ingested by an animal.)

• Fragrance.

• The ingredient Octyl Salicylate

The best places to apply sunscreen on a cat are the nose (you can apply it on the bridge and on the front of the nose, but it is likely to be immediately licked off the front), ear tips, skin surrounding the lips, and anywhere where there is low pigmentation.

The same information applies to dogs as well.

Gray spot near a dog's penis. My dog has gray spot on the bottom by his penis is this normal? He never had them... (10505 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (7968 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (24446 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (9577 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (7756 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (12894 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (20943 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (10534 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (181390 views)

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (29422 views)