Dog biting at tail.

Breed: SIberian Husky
I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing from her tail and later I noticed it was raw and red. I observed it a little longer and found out that she has been biting her own tail. I am not too sure why she is doing this can you help? I was thinking boredom due to the lack of exercise the last few days because of the heat wave.

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Sorry to hear that Aurora is having skin problems.

The most common reason to have hair loss and itching on a dog's tail is an allergy to fleas. I tried to find a good picture of a typical flea allergy affecting the tail, but couldn't. So instead I drew a picture to show you the most affected areas:

picture of flea allergy in dogs

It is also possible that this is something called a hot spot which is an area of infection. Hot spots in this area can also be due to fleas. But they can also happen because of any break in the skin.

Unfortunately most pet store flea products do not work well for fleas anymore. I highly advise a prescription flea product like Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution.

It really does sound like a vet visit is a good idea!

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (9067 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (20171 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (7844 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (16352 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (13214 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (6325 views)

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (8282 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (133864 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (11427 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (11741 views)