Dog biting at tail.

Breed: SIberian Husky
I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing from her tail and later I noticed it was raw and red. I observed it a little longer and found out that she has been biting her own tail. I am not too sure why she is doing this can you help? I was thinking boredom due to the lack of exercise the last few days because of the heat wave.

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Sorry to hear that Aurora is having skin problems.

The most common reason to have hair loss and itching on a dog's tail is an allergy to fleas. I tried to find a good picture of a typical flea allergy affecting the tail, but couldn't. So instead I drew a picture to show you the most affected areas:

picture of flea allergy in dogs

It is also possible that this is something called a hot spot which is an area of infection. Hot spots in this area can also be due to fleas. But they can also happen because of any break in the skin.

Unfortunately most pet store flea products do not work well for fleas anymore. I highly advise a prescription flea product like Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution.

It really does sound like a vet visit is a good idea!

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (11298 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (22020 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (9847 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (9898 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (8613 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (8753 views)

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (10985 views)

Puppy not eating. Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2... (20840 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (29067 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (11004 views)