Dog biting at tail.

Breed: SIberian Husky
I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing from her tail and later I noticed it was raw and red. I observed it a little longer and found out that she has been biting her own tail. I am not too sure why she is doing this can you help? I was thinking boredom due to the lack of exercise the last few days because of the heat wave.

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Sorry to hear that Aurora is having skin problems.

The most common reason to have hair loss and itching on a dog's tail is an allergy to fleas. I tried to find a good picture of a typical flea allergy affecting the tail, but couldn't. So instead I drew a picture to show you the most affected areas:

picture of flea allergy in dogs

It is also possible that this is something called a hot spot which is an area of infection. Hot spots in this area can also be due to fleas. But they can also happen because of any break in the skin.

Unfortunately most pet store flea products do not work well for fleas anymore. I highly advise a prescription flea product like Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution.

It really does sound like a vet visit is a good idea!

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (13722 views)

Kitten has diarrhea Hi, my four month old cat has not stopped doing runny poos since i have had her. i... (9530 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (7881 views)

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (9353 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (36713 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (15168 views)

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (12819 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (14202 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (13203 views)

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (51744 views)