Dog biting at tail.

Breed: SIberian Husky
I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing from her tail and later I noticed it was raw and red. I observed it a little longer and found out that she has been biting her own tail. I am not too sure why she is doing this can you help? I was thinking boredom due to the lack of exercise the last few days because of the heat wave.

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Sorry to hear that Aurora is having skin problems.

The most common reason to have hair loss and itching on a dog's tail is an allergy to fleas. I tried to find a good picture of a typical flea allergy affecting the tail, but couldn't. So instead I drew a picture to show you the most affected areas:

picture of flea allergy in dogs

It is also possible that this is something called a hot spot which is an area of infection. Hot spots in this area can also be due to fleas. But they can also happen because of any break in the skin.

Unfortunately most pet store flea products do not work well for fleas anymore. I highly advise a prescription flea product like Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution.

It really does sound like a vet visit is a good idea!

Liver disease and diarrhea? Hi Dr. Marie My 11 y.o. Boston Andi (about 14 pounds) has been a healthy girl all... (6670 views)

Bleeding from penis. My Siberian Husky has been bleeding from his penis for the last 2 days, It comes and... (16300 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (13040 views)

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (9267 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (11225 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (7881 views)

Rat is not eating. my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food... (9946 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (7417 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (5696 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (19299 views)