Dog biting at tail.

Breed: SIberian Husky
I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing from her tail and later I noticed it was raw and red. I observed it a little longer and found out that she has been biting her own tail. I am not too sure why she is doing this can you help? I was thinking boredom due to the lack of exercise the last few days because of the heat wave.

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Sorry to hear that Aurora is having skin problems.

The most common reason to have hair loss and itching on a dog's tail is an allergy to fleas. I tried to find a good picture of a typical flea allergy affecting the tail, but couldn't. So instead I drew a picture to show you the most affected areas:

picture of flea allergy in dogs

It is also possible that this is something called a hot spot which is an area of infection. Hot spots in this area can also be due to fleas. But they can also happen because of any break in the skin.

Unfortunately most pet store flea products do not work well for fleas anymore. I highly advise a prescription flea product like Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution.

It really does sound like a vet visit is a good idea!

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (8758 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (5576 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (137219 views)

Small Russian Blue Cat. I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6... (10076 views)

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (23281 views)

Poop caked on bum. I saw that my dog was acting stangely, so I examined him and saw that his bottom is... (22614 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (21837 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (16302 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (25764 views)

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (16144 views)