Dog biting at tail.

Breed: SIberian Husky
I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing from her tail and later I noticed it was raw and red. I observed it a little longer and found out that she has been biting her own tail. I am not too sure why she is doing this can you help? I was thinking boredom due to the lack of exercise the last few days because of the heat wave.

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Sorry to hear that Aurora is having skin problems.

The most common reason to have hair loss and itching on a dog's tail is an allergy to fleas. I tried to find a good picture of a typical flea allergy affecting the tail, but couldn't. So instead I drew a picture to show you the most affected areas:

picture of flea allergy in dogs

It is also possible that this is something called a hot spot which is an area of infection. Hot spots in this area can also be due to fleas. But they can also happen because of any break in the skin.

Unfortunately most pet store flea products do not work well for fleas anymore. I highly advise a prescription flea product like Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution.

It really does sound like a vet visit is a good idea!

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (23775 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (11106 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (10226 views)

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (10913 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (5300 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (11166 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (12428 views)

Kitten has diarrhea my kitten is 8-10 weeks old...shes been on dry food now for about 3 weeks. was on... (5238 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (14231 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (6653 views)