Swelling by anus.

Breed: Border Collie
King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked when I tell them his age..he looks and acts like a dog much younger. I noticed a swelling on the area to one side of his anus...actually a bit lower. It is not red nor is the skin taut. He does not flinch or show any discomfort when examined. Is this a possible anal gland that needs draining or something more serious ? Can I drain this gland myself? Thank you.
I am out of work..money is an issue.

Sorry to hear that King is having problems. This does indeed sound like something a vet should take a look at.

It is possible that there is an anal sac (gland) abscess. However, usually these are a little painful.

I am concerned however that it may be something called a perineal hernia. This is a condition that usually only happens in un-neutered males. When this happens there is a weakness in the muscles surrounding the anus and general "hind end" area and a dog can end up with a pouch that pokes out on one side.

The pouch can fill up with stool and make it very difficult for him to defecate. Unfortunately if this is a perineal hernia he needs surgery to fix it and this surgery can be quite expensive.

A perineal hernia is not painful, but can cause some serious problems with his ability to pass stool. If surgery is not an option your vet may talk to you about stool softeners and special foods to help him to pass stool.

It does sound like you should have your vet take a look. I would recommend it soon. If this is an anal gland problem (although it doesn't sound like it) if we deal with it sooner rather than later we may help avoid a surgery.

I hope he does ok!

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (7235 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (13529 views)

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (21973 views)

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (6881 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens. Hello Marie, thanks in advance. (Sorry for the English we are from Finland)... (4776 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (10475 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (9649 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (9718 views)

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (6994 views)

Boyfriend doesn't want to neuter dog. My boyfriend and I are arguing about whether to get our dog neutered. He is a pit... (9406 views)