Swelling by anus.

Breed: Border Collie
King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked when I tell them his age..he looks and acts like a dog much younger. I noticed a swelling on the area to one side of his anus...actually a bit lower. It is not red nor is the skin taut. He does not flinch or show any discomfort when examined. Is this a possible anal gland that needs draining or something more serious ? Can I drain this gland myself? Thank you.
I am out of work..money is an issue.

Sorry to hear that King is having problems. This does indeed sound like something a vet should take a look at.

It is possible that there is an anal sac (gland) abscess. However, usually these are a little painful.

I am concerned however that it may be something called a perineal hernia. This is a condition that usually only happens in un-neutered males. When this happens there is a weakness in the muscles surrounding the anus and general "hind end" area and a dog can end up with a pouch that pokes out on one side.

The pouch can fill up with stool and make it very difficult for him to defecate. Unfortunately if this is a perineal hernia he needs surgery to fix it and this surgery can be quite expensive.

A perineal hernia is not painful, but can cause some serious problems with his ability to pass stool. If surgery is not an option your vet may talk to you about stool softeners and special foods to help him to pass stool.

It does sound like you should have your vet take a look. I would recommend it soon. If this is an anal gland problem (although it doesn't sound like it) if we deal with it sooner rather than later we may help avoid a surgery.

I hope he does ok!

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (15265 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (19110 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (7098 views)

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (24135 views)

Paraneoplastic syndrome? In 3/2013 after suffering 2 "seizures," Clark was diagnosed with insulinoma from... (6585 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (5816 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (10711 views)

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (130194 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (13827 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (10040 views)