Swelling by anus.

Breed: Border Collie
King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked when I tell them his age..he looks and acts like a dog much younger. I noticed a swelling on the area to one side of his anus...actually a bit lower. It is not red nor is the skin taut. He does not flinch or show any discomfort when examined. Is this a possible anal gland that needs draining or something more serious ? Can I drain this gland myself? Thank you.
I am out of work..money is an issue.

Sorry to hear that King is having problems. This does indeed sound like something a vet should take a look at.

It is possible that there is an anal sac (gland) abscess. However, usually these are a little painful.

I am concerned however that it may be something called a perineal hernia. This is a condition that usually only happens in un-neutered males. When this happens there is a weakness in the muscles surrounding the anus and general "hind end" area and a dog can end up with a pouch that pokes out on one side.

The pouch can fill up with stool and make it very difficult for him to defecate. Unfortunately if this is a perineal hernia he needs surgery to fix it and this surgery can be quite expensive.

A perineal hernia is not painful, but can cause some serious problems with his ability to pass stool. If surgery is not an option your vet may talk to you about stool softeners and special foods to help him to pass stool.

It does sound like you should have your vet take a look. I would recommend it soon. If this is an anal gland problem (although it doesn't sound like it) if we deal with it sooner rather than later we may help avoid a surgery.

I hope he does ok!

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (19765 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (10211 views)

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (8445 views)

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (14353 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (25172 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (16289 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (11317 views)

MacuGuard Ocular Support My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as... (5448 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (16940 views)

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (10912 views)