Swelling by anus.

Breed: Border Collie
King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked when I tell them his age..he looks and acts like a dog much younger. I noticed a swelling on the area to one side of his anus...actually a bit lower. It is not red nor is the skin taut. He does not flinch or show any discomfort when examined. Is this a possible anal gland that needs draining or something more serious ? Can I drain this gland myself? Thank you.
I am out of work..money is an issue.

Sorry to hear that King is having problems. This does indeed sound like something a vet should take a look at.

It is possible that there is an anal sac (gland) abscess. However, usually these are a little painful.

I am concerned however that it may be something called a perineal hernia. This is a condition that usually only happens in un-neutered males. When this happens there is a weakness in the muscles surrounding the anus and general "hind end" area and a dog can end up with a pouch that pokes out on one side.

The pouch can fill up with stool and make it very difficult for him to defecate. Unfortunately if this is a perineal hernia he needs surgery to fix it and this surgery can be quite expensive.

A perineal hernia is not painful, but can cause some serious problems with his ability to pass stool. If surgery is not an option your vet may talk to you about stool softeners and special foods to help him to pass stool.

It does sound like you should have your vet take a look. I would recommend it soon. If this is an anal gland problem (although it doesn't sound like it) if we deal with it sooner rather than later we may help avoid a surgery.

I hope he does ok!

Lab has a lump on his muzzle. We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I... (11156 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (46006 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (6680 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My Dog Was Lost For 2 days and i found him 12-11-10 at 4pm curled up in a ball... (8719 views)

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (18755 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (10434 views)

Dog has smelly ears. hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come... (5424 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (5460 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (25912 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (26654 views)