Swelling by anus.

Breed: Border Collie
King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked when I tell them his age..he looks and acts like a dog much younger. I noticed a swelling on the area to one side of his anus...actually a bit lower. It is not red nor is the skin taut. He does not flinch or show any discomfort when examined. Is this a possible anal gland that needs draining or something more serious ? Can I drain this gland myself? Thank you.
I am out of work..money is an issue.

Sorry to hear that King is having problems. This does indeed sound like something a vet should take a look at.

It is possible that there is an anal sac (gland) abscess. However, usually these are a little painful.

I am concerned however that it may be something called a perineal hernia. This is a condition that usually only happens in un-neutered males. When this happens there is a weakness in the muscles surrounding the anus and general "hind end" area and a dog can end up with a pouch that pokes out on one side.

The pouch can fill up with stool and make it very difficult for him to defecate. Unfortunately if this is a perineal hernia he needs surgery to fix it and this surgery can be quite expensive.

A perineal hernia is not painful, but can cause some serious problems with his ability to pass stool. If surgery is not an option your vet may talk to you about stool softeners and special foods to help him to pass stool.

It does sound like you should have your vet take a look. I would recommend it soon. If this is an anal gland problem (although it doesn't sound like it) if we deal with it sooner rather than later we may help avoid a surgery.

I hope he does ok!

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (5956 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (7526 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (6266 views)

Seizures wouldn't stop. My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He... (28799 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (14037 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (17327 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (5410 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (13822 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (17607 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (6263 views)