Swelling by anus.

Breed: Border Collie
King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked when I tell them his age..he looks and acts like a dog much younger. I noticed a swelling on the area to one side of his anus...actually a bit lower. It is not red nor is the skin taut. He does not flinch or show any discomfort when examined. Is this a possible anal gland that needs draining or something more serious ? Can I drain this gland myself? Thank you.
I am out of work..money is an issue.

Sorry to hear that King is having problems. This does indeed sound like something a vet should take a look at.

It is possible that there is an anal sac (gland) abscess. However, usually these are a little painful.

I am concerned however that it may be something called a perineal hernia. This is a condition that usually only happens in un-neutered males. When this happens there is a weakness in the muscles surrounding the anus and general "hind end" area and a dog can end up with a pouch that pokes out on one side.

The pouch can fill up with stool and make it very difficult for him to defecate. Unfortunately if this is a perineal hernia he needs surgery to fix it and this surgery can be quite expensive.

A perineal hernia is not painful, but can cause some serious problems with his ability to pass stool. If surgery is not an option your vet may talk to you about stool softeners and special foods to help him to pass stool.

It does sound like you should have your vet take a look. I would recommend it soon. If this is an anal gland problem (although it doesn't sound like it) if we deal with it sooner rather than later we may help avoid a surgery.

I hope he does ok!

Is my dog pregnant? i think my dog is pregnet she has big nipples and she is getting lazy she was in... (5601 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (14602 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (28099 views)

Cat not eating much. Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the... (11017 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (8844 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (5273 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (16544 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (8157 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (25610 views)

Itchy mouth in a dog. For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her... (67878 views)