Hyperthyroidism and stress.

Breed: may be part Norwegia
My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last week after his vet reviewed the results of his recent blood tests. About 4-8 weeks ago Harry was exhibiting some symptoms of hyperthyroidism (excessive drinking, excessive use of the litter box, yowling throughout the night for no apparent reason.) In the past couple of weeks, however, he is no longer exhibiting those symptoms. I have made a big effort to minimize the stress in Harry's home life in recent weeks and he seems much happier and more peaceful. Is it possible that stress caused Harry's hyperthyroidism? Also, is it possible that his condition will resolve itself if I continue to provide him with a stress-free home life? I realize that I just asked two questions and I am happy to send more money if necessary. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. For the record, I am ready to proceed with pills or radioactive iodine treatment if necessary, but obviously I would prefer not to subject Harry to any of this if he might not need it.

Hi Helen and thanks so much for your question!

Unfortunately hyperthyroidism is a condition that always has to be treated. I have never seen a cat get better without either medicine or radioiodide therapy.

It is a little unusual for his symptoms to get better though. Do you know how high his thyroid level was? If he was just borderline hyperthyroid it may be worthwhile to have your vet test him again just to be sure. Labs are usually quite accurate in these things, but I have had the odd animal where lab results were wrong.

If Harry truly is hyperthyroid then yes, he will need treatment. Without treatment he will have an increase in blood pressure and be at risk for heart disease, high blood pressure and possibly even blindness.

Generally, the iodide treatment is better, but it is quite a bit more expensive.

The vast majority of the time when cats go on medicine for hyperthyroidism they do extremely well!

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can help you more.

Helen, thank you so much for the bonus. It is greatly appreciated! I am so glad to hear that you have gone ahead with the radio-iodide therapy for Harry! Hope he continues to do well!

Dog not eating i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the... (25975 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (15654 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (12441 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (22486 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (9253 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (11405 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (6802 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (24065 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (19030 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (61001 views)