Hyperthyroidism and stress.

Breed: may be part Norwegia
My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last week after his vet reviewed the results of his recent blood tests. About 4-8 weeks ago Harry was exhibiting some symptoms of hyperthyroidism (excessive drinking, excessive use of the litter box, yowling throughout the night for no apparent reason.) In the past couple of weeks, however, he is no longer exhibiting those symptoms. I have made a big effort to minimize the stress in Harry's home life in recent weeks and he seems much happier and more peaceful. Is it possible that stress caused Harry's hyperthyroidism? Also, is it possible that his condition will resolve itself if I continue to provide him with a stress-free home life? I realize that I just asked two questions and I am happy to send more money if necessary. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. For the record, I am ready to proceed with pills or radioactive iodine treatment if necessary, but obviously I would prefer not to subject Harry to any of this if he might not need it.

Hi Helen and thanks so much for your question!

Unfortunately hyperthyroidism is a condition that always has to be treated. I have never seen a cat get better without either medicine or radioiodide therapy.

It is a little unusual for his symptoms to get better though. Do you know how high his thyroid level was? If he was just borderline hyperthyroid it may be worthwhile to have your vet test him again just to be sure. Labs are usually quite accurate in these things, but I have had the odd animal where lab results were wrong.

If Harry truly is hyperthyroid then yes, he will need treatment. Without treatment he will have an increase in blood pressure and be at risk for heart disease, high blood pressure and possibly even blindness.

Generally, the iodide treatment is better, but it is quite a bit more expensive.

The vast majority of the time when cats go on medicine for hyperthyroidism they do extremely well!

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can help you more.

Helen, thank you so much for the bonus. It is greatly appreciated! I am so glad to hear that you have gone ahead with the radio-iodide therapy for Harry! Hope he continues to do well!

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (103702 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (18897 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (14315 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (15350 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (24096 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (16090 views)

vet question Dear Madame Veterinarian: Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've... (10382 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (8397 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (8135 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (32054 views)