Dog licking other dog's ear.

Breed: pit bull
My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my pit Blanche's ears. At first we just thought it was a dominance thing and didn't really see it as a huge problem. However, recently he has gnawed so hard that he broke the skin, and licks at the scab every day so it is unable to heal. This happened right before I left for a short 3 day vacation and when I got home yesterday it is still an issue. I will be taking them both to the vet next week to make sure there isn't an underlying health problem like ear mites, but until then do you have any advice to keep Champ from licking at the wound until I can get them to the vet? I figured an E-collar is out because champ would still be able to access her ears, those seem to only defend against self licking. All of my attempts at bandaging and covering it have failed as she manages to wiggle her way out. Would it be safe to use a licking deterrent like bitter apple on an open cut? What about tea tree oil? Is my only option to separate them until she is healed?

Well that's a frustrating issue, isn't it!

I can tell you that almost every time when I have seen a two dog household where one dog wants to lick the other dog's ears obsessively, it is because there is some type of medical issue with the other dog's ears. Usually the problem is some type of infection as opposed to ear mites. For some reason, infected tissue is very attractive to dogs and they do want to constantly lick it.

So, the good news is that once you get Blanche's ears sorted out medically then Champ shouldn't be so obsessed.

There are a couple of things that you can do to discourage Champ from doing this until you can get to the vet.

The first is, indeed using bitter apple. However, I wouldn't put it directly on the open area. Bitter apple is primarily alcohol based and would really sting on an open area. But, when Champ is licking the ear, he is probably licking a lot of healthy tissue as well. Try dabbing a little bit of bitter apple on non-broken skin three times a day. He'll soon get the idea that this is not enjoyable.

The second option would be to give some type of negative stimulus like a very loud noise every time you see Champ going near Blanche's ear. The problem with this though is that it will likely scare Blanche as well and that's not fair.

You're right, an e-collar or a bandage is not likely to be very effective.

Hopefully you can get her to the vet soon!

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (7026 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (7276 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (13154 views)

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (19953 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (20705 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (14496 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (13023 views)

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (8322 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (23829 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (9445 views)