Dog licking other dog's ear.

Breed: pit bull
My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my pit Blanche's ears. At first we just thought it was a dominance thing and didn't really see it as a huge problem. However, recently he has gnawed so hard that he broke the skin, and licks at the scab every day so it is unable to heal. This happened right before I left for a short 3 day vacation and when I got home yesterday it is still an issue. I will be taking them both to the vet next week to make sure there isn't an underlying health problem like ear mites, but until then do you have any advice to keep Champ from licking at the wound until I can get them to the vet? I figured an E-collar is out because champ would still be able to access her ears, those seem to only defend against self licking. All of my attempts at bandaging and covering it have failed as she manages to wiggle her way out. Would it be safe to use a licking deterrent like bitter apple on an open cut? What about tea tree oil? Is my only option to separate them until she is healed?

Well that's a frustrating issue, isn't it!

I can tell you that almost every time when I have seen a two dog household where one dog wants to lick the other dog's ears obsessively, it is because there is some type of medical issue with the other dog's ears. Usually the problem is some type of infection as opposed to ear mites. For some reason, infected tissue is very attractive to dogs and they do want to constantly lick it.

So, the good news is that once you get Blanche's ears sorted out medically then Champ shouldn't be so obsessed.

There are a couple of things that you can do to discourage Champ from doing this until you can get to the vet.

The first is, indeed using bitter apple. However, I wouldn't put it directly on the open area. Bitter apple is primarily alcohol based and would really sting on an open area. But, when Champ is licking the ear, he is probably licking a lot of healthy tissue as well. Try dabbing a little bit of bitter apple on non-broken skin three times a day. He'll soon get the idea that this is not enjoyable.

The second option would be to give some type of negative stimulus like a very loud noise every time you see Champ going near Blanche's ear. The problem with this though is that it will likely scare Blanche as well and that's not fair.

You're right, an e-collar or a bandage is not likely to be very effective.

Hopefully you can get her to the vet soon!

Drinking a lot and collapse. My boxer, Tank, has recently began drinking water excessively and then pees all over... (20973 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (4081 views)

Chronic pancreatitis flareup. Kasma is currently being treated for chronic pancreatitis...she's been on... (6552 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (9609 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (133868 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (17335 views)

Itchy dog. I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more... (45771 views)

Pregnancy symptoms in dogs. Hi Dr Marie My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This... (14043 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (50250 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (10383 views)