Dog licking other dog's ear.

Breed: pit bull
My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my pit Blanche's ears. At first we just thought it was a dominance thing and didn't really see it as a huge problem. However, recently he has gnawed so hard that he broke the skin, and licks at the scab every day so it is unable to heal. This happened right before I left for a short 3 day vacation and when I got home yesterday it is still an issue. I will be taking them both to the vet next week to make sure there isn't an underlying health problem like ear mites, but until then do you have any advice to keep Champ from licking at the wound until I can get them to the vet? I figured an E-collar is out because champ would still be able to access her ears, those seem to only defend against self licking. All of my attempts at bandaging and covering it have failed as she manages to wiggle her way out. Would it be safe to use a licking deterrent like bitter apple on an open cut? What about tea tree oil? Is my only option to separate them until she is healed?

Well that's a frustrating issue, isn't it!

I can tell you that almost every time when I have seen a two dog household where one dog wants to lick the other dog's ears obsessively, it is because there is some type of medical issue with the other dog's ears. Usually the problem is some type of infection as opposed to ear mites. For some reason, infected tissue is very attractive to dogs and they do want to constantly lick it.

So, the good news is that once you get Blanche's ears sorted out medically then Champ shouldn't be so obsessed.

There are a couple of things that you can do to discourage Champ from doing this until you can get to the vet.

The first is, indeed using bitter apple. However, I wouldn't put it directly on the open area. Bitter apple is primarily alcohol based and would really sting on an open area. But, when Champ is licking the ear, he is probably licking a lot of healthy tissue as well. Try dabbing a little bit of bitter apple on non-broken skin three times a day. He'll soon get the idea that this is not enjoyable.

The second option would be to give some type of negative stimulus like a very loud noise every time you see Champ going near Blanche's ear. The problem with this though is that it will likely scare Blanche as well and that's not fair.

You're right, an e-collar or a bandage is not likely to be very effective.

Hopefully you can get her to the vet soon!

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (29359 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (10900 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (11140 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (6625 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (13801 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (15378 views)

Chronic pancreatitis flareup. Kasma is currently being treated for chronic pancreatitis...she's been on... (9291 views)

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (11880 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (14780 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (15092 views)