Black lumps in a cat's ear.

Breed: Mix
I recently noticed two black spots in one of my cat's ears. They haven't always been there and I'm concerned that it could be melanoma. Would it make sense for it to be melanoma when there are two? They are both in the same ear and are not raised, they lie flat on his skin. Here are two pictures:

black spot on cat's ear

black spot on cat's ear

In the second picture you can see both spots, the second one is a little harder to see but it's near the bottom of the ear.

Thank you for the excellent photos. I am concerned by what I am seeing here. Now, keep in mind that obviously an in person visit with your veterinarian is going to be much better than having me look at photos. But, what I am seeing here would definitely warrant a visit to your vet.

These could indeed be melanomas. I can't say I have ever seen two pop up next to each other like this but it is certainly possible. Some melanomas can be low grade and would be cured by having them removed. However, these might possibly be difficult to remove!

Another thing that can cause multiple bumps in a cat's ear is something called ceruminous gland adenomas. These lumps are totally benign and don't need to be removed. However, they don't look like what I am seeing in the photo. They are usually more blue in appearance. But again, photos are not as good as seeing the lumps in person.

They could also be basal cell tumors which are usually cured by removing them.

I would definitely advise having your vet take a look. They will likely do something called a fine needle aspirate. This test should give us an idea as to how serious the lumps are.

I hope things work out ok!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Thank you for the response.

I looked back at some pictures of him and saw that he has had this spot for at least 6 months...I'm so upset at myself that I didn't notice it until recently. I'm extremely concerned to hear that you think it could be a melanoma, and I've made an appointment to have him seen this afternoon.

I should mention too that I have seen some cats that just have flat black pigmented areas that are nothing to worry about. The spots you have photographed do look like they are raised though. I hope all goes well!

I agree that they look raised in the photo but in person I can't feel or see a raise in them. Maybe they are just black pigmented areas. Hopefully the vet will be able to tell this afternoon, I will hope for the best but I'm preparing myself for bad news too.

Can the flat black pigmented areas you mentioned show up later in life? I know he didn't have these spots as a kitten.

Thank you!

Well hopefully they are just areas of pigment! Yes, it is possible that they have developed later on in life. Let's hope for that!

I just wanted to give an update on Vinny. He saw his vet yesterday and the vet was not concerned about the dark spots. In fact he found a lump in Vinny's other ear that he was more concerned about, which he said developed because of excessive scratching due to an allergy and could grow if we don't identify and treat the allergy. He gave him Depo Medrol and sent us home.

He said he didn't think anything was cancerous but I'm somewhat uneasy that he didn't biopsy it.

Well that is good news that the doctor wasn't concerned! If the lump doesn't go away after the steroid shot then you could always have your vet biopsy it then. It's unlikely to be a concern if he didn't want to test it though!

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (5658 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (2621 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (6796 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (4520 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (4589 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (2581 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (2265 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (32897 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (7302 views)

Do dogs get sciatica? Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping... (7041 views)