Grade 4 heart murmur.

Breed: Cocker Spaniel mix
Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet was examining him she told me that my dog has a grade 4 Heart Murmur.

For the past 8 years I've been going to a different vet for my dog's yearly check-up and they've never told me that my dog has anything wrong with his heart. Just wondering how worried should I be, because I'm getting a lot of anxiety over the severity of this heart defect. He does cough sometimes, but in the past I suspected it was because he was just eating his food too fast because he tends to overeat. Also when I walk him, he tends to pull a bit, and he does cough then as well.

I don't have a lot of money, and the options to follow up this diagnose are very expensive to me. Also just wondering how helpful would an x-ray be in helping my dog in the long run, if I do choose to get that procedure done? Thanks again, I would greatly appreciate any response because I don't even think I'll be able to sleep tonight because I'm just so worried for Cinnamon.

Sorry to hear that your dog has been diagnosed with a heart murmur. There are many heart murmurs that I don't worry at all about. For example, if I see a puppy with a grade 1 or 2 heart murmur it is almost always nothing to worry about.

We tend to grade heart murmurs on a scale of 1-4, so this means that a grade 4 murmur is the most serious grade.

A grade 4 heart murmur is almost always something to be concerned about. The problem is that getting an accurate diagnosis of the actual cause of the murmur can be difficult. An xray can tell you whether there is heart enlargement and should be able to give you an idea as to whether there are serious issues like fluid around the heart or significant heart enlargement. It can help your vet to know what types of medications would be best to use to treat your dog.

In order to have a better idea as to what is going on, a heart ultrasound can often tell us more. However, an ultrasound is much more expensive than an xray and usually requires a visit to a specialist.

We don't really treat a heart murmur. But we do treat a dog for heart problems when there are significant clinical signs. The most common of these is coughing. If there is just the occasional cough then your vet likely would not start him on medication just yet but would have you monitor his symptoms.

One other thought that I have is to ask your vet whether heartworm is a possibility. If you live in an area that has a lot of heartworm then it is a good idea to have him tested. Treating for heartworm is a lot easier the sooner you get a diagnosis.

Hope things work out ok!

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (11929 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (20026 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (5996 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (18326 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (7616 views)

Chihuahua with loose teeth. My Chihuahua's teeth are starting to get very loose. She is only two years old,... (12084 views)

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (28003 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (13679 views)

Cat losing fur. Hi Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that... (23251 views)

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (14639 views)