Grade 4 heart murmur.

Breed: Cocker Spaniel mix
Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet was examining him she told me that my dog has a grade 4 Heart Murmur.

For the past 8 years I've been going to a different vet for my dog's yearly check-up and they've never told me that my dog has anything wrong with his heart. Just wondering how worried should I be, because I'm getting a lot of anxiety over the severity of this heart defect. He does cough sometimes, but in the past I suspected it was because he was just eating his food too fast because he tends to overeat. Also when I walk him, he tends to pull a bit, and he does cough then as well.

I don't have a lot of money, and the options to follow up this diagnose are very expensive to me. Also just wondering how helpful would an x-ray be in helping my dog in the long run, if I do choose to get that procedure done? Thanks again, I would greatly appreciate any response because I don't even think I'll be able to sleep tonight because I'm just so worried for Cinnamon.

Sorry to hear that your dog has been diagnosed with a heart murmur. There are many heart murmurs that I don't worry at all about. For example, if I see a puppy with a grade 1 or 2 heart murmur it is almost always nothing to worry about.

We tend to grade heart murmurs on a scale of 1-4, so this means that a grade 4 murmur is the most serious grade.

A grade 4 heart murmur is almost always something to be concerned about. The problem is that getting an accurate diagnosis of the actual cause of the murmur can be difficult. An xray can tell you whether there is heart enlargement and should be able to give you an idea as to whether there are serious issues like fluid around the heart or significant heart enlargement. It can help your vet to know what types of medications would be best to use to treat your dog.

In order to have a better idea as to what is going on, a heart ultrasound can often tell us more. However, an ultrasound is much more expensive than an xray and usually requires a visit to a specialist.

We don't really treat a heart murmur. But we do treat a dog for heart problems when there are significant clinical signs. The most common of these is coughing. If there is just the occasional cough then your vet likely would not start him on medication just yet but would have you monitor his symptoms.

One other thought that I have is to ask your vet whether heartworm is a possibility. If you live in an area that has a lot of heartworm then it is a good idea to have him tested. Treating for heartworm is a lot easier the sooner you get a diagnosis.

Hope things work out ok!

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (12168 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (28083 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (29576 views)

Wheezing cat. My cat is wheezing. Because he is 15 now I was not suprised. But then it grew worse.... (16809 views)

Damaged intestines? A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told... (14275 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (12105 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (9043 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (47538 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (15176 views)

Full anal glands. full anal... (8580 views)