Grade 4 heart murmur.

Breed: Cocker Spaniel mix
Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet was examining him she told me that my dog has a grade 4 Heart Murmur.

For the past 8 years I've been going to a different vet for my dog's yearly check-up and they've never told me that my dog has anything wrong with his heart. Just wondering how worried should I be, because I'm getting a lot of anxiety over the severity of this heart defect. He does cough sometimes, but in the past I suspected it was because he was just eating his food too fast because he tends to overeat. Also when I walk him, he tends to pull a bit, and he does cough then as well.

I don't have a lot of money, and the options to follow up this diagnose are very expensive to me. Also just wondering how helpful would an x-ray be in helping my dog in the long run, if I do choose to get that procedure done? Thanks again, I would greatly appreciate any response because I don't even think I'll be able to sleep tonight because I'm just so worried for Cinnamon.

Sorry to hear that your dog has been diagnosed with a heart murmur. There are many heart murmurs that I don't worry at all about. For example, if I see a puppy with a grade 1 or 2 heart murmur it is almost always nothing to worry about.

We tend to grade heart murmurs on a scale of 1-4, so this means that a grade 4 murmur is the most serious grade.

A grade 4 heart murmur is almost always something to be concerned about. The problem is that getting an accurate diagnosis of the actual cause of the murmur can be difficult. An xray can tell you whether there is heart enlargement and should be able to give you an idea as to whether there are serious issues like fluid around the heart or significant heart enlargement. It can help your vet to know what types of medications would be best to use to treat your dog.

In order to have a better idea as to what is going on, a heart ultrasound can often tell us more. However, an ultrasound is much more expensive than an xray and usually requires a visit to a specialist.

We don't really treat a heart murmur. But we do treat a dog for heart problems when there are significant clinical signs. The most common of these is coughing. If there is just the occasional cough then your vet likely would not start him on medication just yet but would have you monitor his symptoms.

One other thought that I have is to ask your vet whether heartworm is a possibility. If you live in an area that has a lot of heartworm then it is a good idea to have him tested. Treating for heartworm is a lot easier the sooner you get a diagnosis.

Hope things work out ok!

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (9077 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (12984 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (9789 views)

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (8830 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (40462 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (40756 views)

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (5365 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (20749 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (8170 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (9308 views)