Grade 4 heart murmur.

Breed: Cocker Spaniel mix
Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet was examining him she told me that my dog has a grade 4 Heart Murmur.

For the past 8 years I've been going to a different vet for my dog's yearly check-up and they've never told me that my dog has anything wrong with his heart. Just wondering how worried should I be, because I'm getting a lot of anxiety over the severity of this heart defect. He does cough sometimes, but in the past I suspected it was because he was just eating his food too fast because he tends to overeat. Also when I walk him, he tends to pull a bit, and he does cough then as well.

I don't have a lot of money, and the options to follow up this diagnose are very expensive to me. Also just wondering how helpful would an x-ray be in helping my dog in the long run, if I do choose to get that procedure done? Thanks again, I would greatly appreciate any response because I don't even think I'll be able to sleep tonight because I'm just so worried for Cinnamon.

Sorry to hear that your dog has been diagnosed with a heart murmur. There are many heart murmurs that I don't worry at all about. For example, if I see a puppy with a grade 1 or 2 heart murmur it is almost always nothing to worry about.

We tend to grade heart murmurs on a scale of 1-4, so this means that a grade 4 murmur is the most serious grade.

A grade 4 heart murmur is almost always something to be concerned about. The problem is that getting an accurate diagnosis of the actual cause of the murmur can be difficult. An xray can tell you whether there is heart enlargement and should be able to give you an idea as to whether there are serious issues like fluid around the heart or significant heart enlargement. It can help your vet to know what types of medications would be best to use to treat your dog.

In order to have a better idea as to what is going on, a heart ultrasound can often tell us more. However, an ultrasound is much more expensive than an xray and usually requires a visit to a specialist.

We don't really treat a heart murmur. But we do treat a dog for heart problems when there are significant clinical signs. The most common of these is coughing. If there is just the occasional cough then your vet likely would not start him on medication just yet but would have you monitor his symptoms.

One other thought that I have is to ask your vet whether heartworm is a possibility. If you live in an area that has a lot of heartworm then it is a good idea to have him tested. Treating for heartworm is a lot easier the sooner you get a diagnosis.

Hope things work out ok!

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (43548 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (4704 views)

Poop caked on bum. I saw that my dog was acting stangely, so I examined him and saw that his bottom is... (22145 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (27795 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (32475 views)

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (39057 views)

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (13272 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (9192 views)

Sick guinea pig. hello, i need help. my guinea pig peppy is really dehydrated and really weak, today... (12303 views)

Panadol (tylenol) for cat? my cat(3 years) has been drooling non-stop for the past 3 days and wont eat or drink... (5877 views)