Bumps on bulldog.

Breed: American Bulldog
Dr. Marie,

Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which first started on his back. You can run your hands over his back and feel them. Almost like large pimples, they are crusty, the hair falls out, and he's left with a small bald patch, and the patch is pinkish, an outlined circle. I can pull the hair out where the little hives are. They don't itch him or seem to cause him any pain. The only thing that I have changed is I out him on Trifexis, which after reading about I think I might not use again, but wasn't sure if you've heard of this being a possible side effect. No change in food either.

I'm worried that his hair is just going to keep falling out. It's starting a little bit on his rear quarter.

Thanks in advance,
Monika Baldwin

Hi Monika,

This doesn't sound like something connected to Trifexis. I know there have been some odd Trifexis side effects being seen, but they really are rare and so far, I haven't seen any skin issues connected with Trifexis.

I have a couple of thoughts about Rocky. I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet, but I can give you a couple of ideas though.

I have seen dogs that mysteriously get hives that come and go. Usually this is the result of an allergic reaction but often we don't find out what the dog is allergic to. However, what you are describing with crusts and hair loss, actually sounds more like a bacterial infection than an allergic thing like hives.

Bulldogs are very prone to skin infections. The cause is often unknown. If this is a skin infection then the only treatment is several weeks of antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

It does sound like a vet visit is necessary. They can determine whether this truly is a skin infection and get you the right antibiotics. I wouldn't prolong it too long because the longer a skin infection goes on, the longer it will take to clear up.

I hope things are better soon!

Thank you Dr. Marie, I will be making an appointment for him this week. I do believe this might be what he has.

Thanks again!

Monika

Boxer skin problems. -I apologize in advance for the novel i wrote below- We are officially at a loss.... (59554 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (8922 views)

Seizure and diarrhea. Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had... (32588 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (12494 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (86342 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (6337 views)

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (14691 views)

Cloudy eye with blood. My dog has what seemed to be pink eye but the blood has seeped into the iris. There... (12388 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (7256 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (52813 views)