Bumps on bulldog.

Breed: American Bulldog
Dr. Marie,

Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which first started on his back. You can run your hands over his back and feel them. Almost like large pimples, they are crusty, the hair falls out, and he's left with a small bald patch, and the patch is pinkish, an outlined circle. I can pull the hair out where the little hives are. They don't itch him or seem to cause him any pain. The only thing that I have changed is I out him on Trifexis, which after reading about I think I might not use again, but wasn't sure if you've heard of this being a possible side effect. No change in food either.

I'm worried that his hair is just going to keep falling out. It's starting a little bit on his rear quarter.

Thanks in advance,
Monika Baldwin

Hi Monika,

This doesn't sound like something connected to Trifexis. I know there have been some odd Trifexis side effects being seen, but they really are rare and so far, I haven't seen any skin issues connected with Trifexis.

I have a couple of thoughts about Rocky. I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet, but I can give you a couple of ideas though.

I have seen dogs that mysteriously get hives that come and go. Usually this is the result of an allergic reaction but often we don't find out what the dog is allergic to. However, what you are describing with crusts and hair loss, actually sounds more like a bacterial infection than an allergic thing like hives.

Bulldogs are very prone to skin infections. The cause is often unknown. If this is a skin infection then the only treatment is several weeks of antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

It does sound like a vet visit is necessary. They can determine whether this truly is a skin infection and get you the right antibiotics. I wouldn't prolong it too long because the longer a skin infection goes on, the longer it will take to clear up.

I hope things are better soon!

Thank you Dr. Marie, I will be making an appointment for him this week. I do believe this might be what he has.

Thanks again!

Monika

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (11835 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (15032 views)

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (37233 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (45512 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (28024 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (18572 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (13447 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (17526 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (27273 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (37900 views)