Bumps on bulldog.

Breed: American Bulldog
Dr. Marie,

Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which first started on his back. You can run your hands over his back and feel them. Almost like large pimples, they are crusty, the hair falls out, and he's left with a small bald patch, and the patch is pinkish, an outlined circle. I can pull the hair out where the little hives are. They don't itch him or seem to cause him any pain. The only thing that I have changed is I out him on Trifexis, which after reading about I think I might not use again, but wasn't sure if you've heard of this being a possible side effect. No change in food either.

I'm worried that his hair is just going to keep falling out. It's starting a little bit on his rear quarter.

Thanks in advance,
Monika Baldwin

Hi Monika,

This doesn't sound like something connected to Trifexis. I know there have been some odd Trifexis side effects being seen, but they really are rare and so far, I haven't seen any skin issues connected with Trifexis.

I have a couple of thoughts about Rocky. I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet, but I can give you a couple of ideas though.

I have seen dogs that mysteriously get hives that come and go. Usually this is the result of an allergic reaction but often we don't find out what the dog is allergic to. However, what you are describing with crusts and hair loss, actually sounds more like a bacterial infection than an allergic thing like hives.

Bulldogs are very prone to skin infections. The cause is often unknown. If this is a skin infection then the only treatment is several weeks of antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

It does sound like a vet visit is necessary. They can determine whether this truly is a skin infection and get you the right antibiotics. I wouldn't prolong it too long because the longer a skin infection goes on, the longer it will take to clear up.

I hope things are better soon!

Thank you Dr. Marie, I will be making an appointment for him this week. I do believe this might be what he has.

Thanks again!

Monika

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (8359 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (14234 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (4870 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (8071 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (5658 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (7647 views)

Blood behind dog's ears. I noticed a couple of days ago what looked like mud behind her ears, now it's bloody... (31732 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (12270 views)

Is pinkeye contagious to pets? My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog... (27370 views)

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (24029 views)