Bumps on bulldog.

Breed: American Bulldog
Dr. Marie,

Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which first started on his back. You can run your hands over his back and feel them. Almost like large pimples, they are crusty, the hair falls out, and he's left with a small bald patch, and the patch is pinkish, an outlined circle. I can pull the hair out where the little hives are. They don't itch him or seem to cause him any pain. The only thing that I have changed is I out him on Trifexis, which after reading about I think I might not use again, but wasn't sure if you've heard of this being a possible side effect. No change in food either.

I'm worried that his hair is just going to keep falling out. It's starting a little bit on his rear quarter.

Thanks in advance,
Monika Baldwin

Hi Monika,

This doesn't sound like something connected to Trifexis. I know there have been some odd Trifexis side effects being seen, but they really are rare and so far, I haven't seen any skin issues connected with Trifexis.

I have a couple of thoughts about Rocky. I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet, but I can give you a couple of ideas though.

I have seen dogs that mysteriously get hives that come and go. Usually this is the result of an allergic reaction but often we don't find out what the dog is allergic to. However, what you are describing with crusts and hair loss, actually sounds more like a bacterial infection than an allergic thing like hives.

Bulldogs are very prone to skin infections. The cause is often unknown. If this is a skin infection then the only treatment is several weeks of antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

It does sound like a vet visit is necessary. They can determine whether this truly is a skin infection and get you the right antibiotics. I wouldn't prolong it too long because the longer a skin infection goes on, the longer it will take to clear up.

I hope things are better soon!

Thank you Dr. Marie, I will be making an appointment for him this week. I do believe this might be what he has.

Thanks again!

Monika

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (32423 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (14319 views)

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (9544 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (14966 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (25509 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (38331 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (6939 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (5716 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (9874 views)

Dog pooping blood. My dog is pooping blood, but not pooping. Just blood coming out like she is... (13980 views)