Bumps on bulldog.

Breed: American Bulldog
Dr. Marie,

Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which first started on his back. You can run your hands over his back and feel them. Almost like large pimples, they are crusty, the hair falls out, and he's left with a small bald patch, and the patch is pinkish, an outlined circle. I can pull the hair out where the little hives are. They don't itch him or seem to cause him any pain. The only thing that I have changed is I out him on Trifexis, which after reading about I think I might not use again, but wasn't sure if you've heard of this being a possible side effect. No change in food either.

I'm worried that his hair is just going to keep falling out. It's starting a little bit on his rear quarter.

Thanks in advance,
Monika Baldwin

Hi Monika,

This doesn't sound like something connected to Trifexis. I know there have been some odd Trifexis side effects being seen, but they really are rare and so far, I haven't seen any skin issues connected with Trifexis.

I have a couple of thoughts about Rocky. I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet, but I can give you a couple of ideas though.

I have seen dogs that mysteriously get hives that come and go. Usually this is the result of an allergic reaction but often we don't find out what the dog is allergic to. However, what you are describing with crusts and hair loss, actually sounds more like a bacterial infection than an allergic thing like hives.

Bulldogs are very prone to skin infections. The cause is often unknown. If this is a skin infection then the only treatment is several weeks of antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

It does sound like a vet visit is necessary. They can determine whether this truly is a skin infection and get you the right antibiotics. I wouldn't prolong it too long because the longer a skin infection goes on, the longer it will take to clear up.

I hope things are better soon!

Thank you Dr. Marie, I will be making an appointment for him this week. I do believe this might be what he has.

Thanks again!

Monika

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (30420 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (12864 views)

Mucus in kitten's eyes. I found a kittin this moring it appeared to have mucus around the eyes and nose. I... (24338 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (5798 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (15082 views)

Vomiting yellow liquid. Maynard has been vomiting up yellowish urine colored liquid a few time in the last... (8348 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (8626 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (18687 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (10798 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (26675 views)