Rodent ulcer treatment options.

Breed: demist medium hair
My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes steroids and clears up it happens this time of year its been two yrs this time the steroids aren't helping what should I do

Sorry to hear that Autum is having problems with rodent ulcers (also known as eosinophilic granuloma complex). Is Autum receiving oral or injectible steroids?

I usually find that one (sometimes two) injections of steroids will almost always take care of this problem. However there are some cats that become resistant to steroids for this problem.

Your vet can help you decide on an alternative treatment, but some options include:

• A topical steroid (assuming the lesion is in an area where you can put a cream or steroid drop)

• Topical tacrolimus which is an immunosuppressive medication.

• A medication called cyclosporin or atopica - It can be a little pricey, but often works well.

• If the lesions are more on the inside of the mouth, you may be dealing with feline stomatitis. Often these cats do well with full mouth extractions.

I hope things are ok soon!

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (16729 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (9146 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (9647 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (51209 views)

Metronidazole and liver disease. My dog was diagnosed with sudden liver failure brought on by Interceptor. He got... (26728 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (18973 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (6538 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (11078 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (44991 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (15339 views)