Rodent ulcer treatment options.

Breed: demist medium hair
My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes steroids and clears up it happens this time of year its been two yrs this time the steroids aren't helping what should I do

Sorry to hear that Autum is having problems with rodent ulcers (also known as eosinophilic granuloma complex). Is Autum receiving oral or injectible steroids?

I usually find that one (sometimes two) injections of steroids will almost always take care of this problem. However there are some cats that become resistant to steroids for this problem.

Your vet can help you decide on an alternative treatment, but some options include:

• A topical steroid (assuming the lesion is in an area where you can put a cream or steroid drop)

• Topical tacrolimus which is an immunosuppressive medication.

• A medication called cyclosporin or atopica - It can be a little pricey, but often works well.

• If the lesions are more on the inside of the mouth, you may be dealing with feline stomatitis. Often these cats do well with full mouth extractions.

I hope things are ok soon!

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (13127 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (14205 views)

How long does a dog stay in heat? How long does she stay in heat? and how often? thanks have a blessed... (8647 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (79518 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (8348 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (10548 views)

dog with strabismus Dr. , My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has... (14344 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (117177 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (31162 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (8118 views)