Rodent ulcer treatment options.

Breed: demist medium hair
My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes steroids and clears up it happens this time of year its been two yrs this time the steroids aren't helping what should I do

Sorry to hear that Autum is having problems with rodent ulcers (also known as eosinophilic granuloma complex). Is Autum receiving oral or injectible steroids?

I usually find that one (sometimes two) injections of steroids will almost always take care of this problem. However there are some cats that become resistant to steroids for this problem.

Your vet can help you decide on an alternative treatment, but some options include:

• A topical steroid (assuming the lesion is in an area where you can put a cream or steroid drop)

• Topical tacrolimus which is an immunosuppressive medication.

• A medication called cyclosporin or atopica - It can be a little pricey, but often works well.

• If the lesions are more on the inside of the mouth, you may be dealing with feline stomatitis. Often these cats do well with full mouth extractions.

I hope things are ok soon!

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (32098 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (13810 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (9900 views)

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (10502 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (16645 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (6804 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (11780 views)

Licking his penis. my indoor cat is constantly going to his litter box about every 10 mins or so and... (10640 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (8629 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (20489 views)