Rodent ulcer treatment options.

Breed: demist medium hair
My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes steroids and clears up it happens this time of year its been two yrs this time the steroids aren't helping what should I do

Sorry to hear that Autum is having problems with rodent ulcers (also known as eosinophilic granuloma complex). Is Autum receiving oral or injectible steroids?

I usually find that one (sometimes two) injections of steroids will almost always take care of this problem. However there are some cats that become resistant to steroids for this problem.

Your vet can help you decide on an alternative treatment, but some options include:

• A topical steroid (assuming the lesion is in an area where you can put a cream or steroid drop)

• Topical tacrolimus which is an immunosuppressive medication.

• A medication called cyclosporin or atopica - It can be a little pricey, but often works well.

• If the lesions are more on the inside of the mouth, you may be dealing with feline stomatitis. Often these cats do well with full mouth extractions.

I hope things are ok soon!

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (22462 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (124985 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (17446 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (10772 views)

Frontline and bathing. Hi Dr. Marie, I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a... (27811 views)

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (12065 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (25309 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (17135 views)

White spot on eye. My cat has a greyish white spot on surface of her eye. It is not in the iris nor is... (40667 views)

Lump on dog's neck. Hi Dr Marie We have a 4 year old female mixed breed dog. Two years ago she had a... (23555 views)