Lentigo on a cat.

Breed: Domestic Cat - Torto
Hi Dr. Marie...

My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle on the tip of her ear over the last 6 months or so. It is roughly the size of the end of a pencil eraser, is completely flat in texture (not raised like a mole), non-ulcerous, pretty much just looks like a flat freckle. In fact, it is more apparent on the top of the ear...looking at it from the inside you hardly see it, so it seems to be somewhat superficial on the outside. She is not bothered by it in anyway to our knowledge. What is concerning to me though is how quickly it has developed.

I have mentioned this to a few vet-tech friends and they mentioned that it could be lentigo. Is this common in tortoiseshell cats? Lucy is fine otherwise and we haven't noticed any change in her behaviour.

I'm due with our first baby in about a week so it is next to impossible to get her to the vet at this point. I'm hoping that you may have some advice as to whether or not this could be a concern!

Thanks so much for your time!

Laura

Interesting. This is a hard question to answer without seeing Lucy. If you'd like to reply I can tell you how to send me a picture and maybe I can give you a better answer.

However, if the area is not raised it is probably nothing to worry about.

Lentigo is a definite possibility. Lentigo causes black pigmented spots on the mouth or ears of a cat. We don't know what causes it. It is not bothersome and there is no treatment for it.

Of course, if things are getting bothersome or if the areas start to look "angry" then you should have your vet take a look.

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (10249 views)

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (9863 views)

Puppy with crystals. our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no... (10748 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (15851 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (6168 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (13386 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (9177 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (16377 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (16328 views)

Does pet store flea medicine work? My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea... (11251 views)