Lentigo on a cat.

Breed: Domestic Cat - Torto
Hi Dr. Marie...

My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle on the tip of her ear over the last 6 months or so. It is roughly the size of the end of a pencil eraser, is completely flat in texture (not raised like a mole), non-ulcerous, pretty much just looks like a flat freckle. In fact, it is more apparent on the top of the ear...looking at it from the inside you hardly see it, so it seems to be somewhat superficial on the outside. She is not bothered by it in anyway to our knowledge. What is concerning to me though is how quickly it has developed.

I have mentioned this to a few vet-tech friends and they mentioned that it could be lentigo. Is this common in tortoiseshell cats? Lucy is fine otherwise and we haven't noticed any change in her behaviour.

I'm due with our first baby in about a week so it is next to impossible to get her to the vet at this point. I'm hoping that you may have some advice as to whether or not this could be a concern!

Thanks so much for your time!

Laura

Interesting. This is a hard question to answer without seeing Lucy. If you'd like to reply I can tell you how to send me a picture and maybe I can give you a better answer.

However, if the area is not raised it is probably nothing to worry about.

Lentigo is a definite possibility. Lentigo causes black pigmented spots on the mouth or ears of a cat. We don't know what causes it. It is not bothersome and there is no treatment for it.

Of course, if things are getting bothersome or if the areas start to look "angry" then you should have your vet take a look.

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (75738 views)

Dog diarrhea problems. Hi Dr, This is an update to a previous question. Max is over 10 wks old now... (36536 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (27330 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (9761 views)

Homeopathic medicine questions. My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from... (12627 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (16888 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (11159 views)

Sentry Pro Flea and Tick Shampoo Hi Dr. Marie, Last night around 8 pm I gave my dog a bath with Sentry Pro flea... (24975 views)

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (13254 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (11078 views)