Lentigo on a cat.

Breed: Domestic Cat - Torto
Hi Dr. Marie...

My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle on the tip of her ear over the last 6 months or so. It is roughly the size of the end of a pencil eraser, is completely flat in texture (not raised like a mole), non-ulcerous, pretty much just looks like a flat freckle. In fact, it is more apparent on the top of the ear...looking at it from the inside you hardly see it, so it seems to be somewhat superficial on the outside. She is not bothered by it in anyway to our knowledge. What is concerning to me though is how quickly it has developed.

I have mentioned this to a few vet-tech friends and they mentioned that it could be lentigo. Is this common in tortoiseshell cats? Lucy is fine otherwise and we haven't noticed any change in her behaviour.

I'm due with our first baby in about a week so it is next to impossible to get her to the vet at this point. I'm hoping that you may have some advice as to whether or not this could be a concern!

Thanks so much for your time!

Laura

Interesting. This is a hard question to answer without seeing Lucy. If you'd like to reply I can tell you how to send me a picture and maybe I can give you a better answer.

However, if the area is not raised it is probably nothing to worry about.

Lentigo is a definite possibility. Lentigo causes black pigmented spots on the mouth or ears of a cat. We don't know what causes it. It is not bothersome and there is no treatment for it.

Of course, if things are getting bothersome or if the areas start to look "angry" then you should have your vet take a look.

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (312509 views)

Itchy ear Hi Dr. I have a 9 month old neutered male golden. Beginning last Saturday he... (14916 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (23127 views)

Vuvlar tumor in a cat. Hello, 2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old... (11099 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (9451 views)

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (6142 views)

Tapazole not working. Miss Kitty who is spayed and about 13 yrs old (we rescued her) was recently... (9641 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (14907 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (18503 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (6944 views)