Lentigo on a cat.

Breed: Domestic Cat - Torto
Hi Dr. Marie...

My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle on the tip of her ear over the last 6 months or so. It is roughly the size of the end of a pencil eraser, is completely flat in texture (not raised like a mole), non-ulcerous, pretty much just looks like a flat freckle. In fact, it is more apparent on the top of the ear...looking at it from the inside you hardly see it, so it seems to be somewhat superficial on the outside. She is not bothered by it in anyway to our knowledge. What is concerning to me though is how quickly it has developed.

I have mentioned this to a few vet-tech friends and they mentioned that it could be lentigo. Is this common in tortoiseshell cats? Lucy is fine otherwise and we haven't noticed any change in her behaviour.

I'm due with our first baby in about a week so it is next to impossible to get her to the vet at this point. I'm hoping that you may have some advice as to whether or not this could be a concern!

Thanks so much for your time!

Laura

Interesting. This is a hard question to answer without seeing Lucy. If you'd like to reply I can tell you how to send me a picture and maybe I can give you a better answer.

However, if the area is not raised it is probably nothing to worry about.

Lentigo is a definite possibility. Lentigo causes black pigmented spots on the mouth or ears of a cat. We don't know what causes it. It is not bothersome and there is no treatment for it.

Of course, if things are getting bothersome or if the areas start to look "angry" then you should have your vet take a look.

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (11185 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (8598 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (17451 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (52611 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (5390 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (13234 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (16709 views)

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (10024 views)

Sudden bulldog death. Hello Dr. Marie, I own a boarding kennel and have for fifteen years. We pride... (27239 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (14813 views)