Lentigo on a cat.

Breed: Domestic Cat - Torto
Hi Dr. Marie...

My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle on the tip of her ear over the last 6 months or so. It is roughly the size of the end of a pencil eraser, is completely flat in texture (not raised like a mole), non-ulcerous, pretty much just looks like a flat freckle. In fact, it is more apparent on the top of the ear...looking at it from the inside you hardly see it, so it seems to be somewhat superficial on the outside. She is not bothered by it in anyway to our knowledge. What is concerning to me though is how quickly it has developed.

I have mentioned this to a few vet-tech friends and they mentioned that it could be lentigo. Is this common in tortoiseshell cats? Lucy is fine otherwise and we haven't noticed any change in her behaviour.

I'm due with our first baby in about a week so it is next to impossible to get her to the vet at this point. I'm hoping that you may have some advice as to whether or not this could be a concern!

Thanks so much for your time!

Laura

Interesting. This is a hard question to answer without seeing Lucy. If you'd like to reply I can tell you how to send me a picture and maybe I can give you a better answer.

However, if the area is not raised it is probably nothing to worry about.

Lentigo is a definite possibility. Lentigo causes black pigmented spots on the mouth or ears of a cat. We don't know what causes it. It is not bothersome and there is no treatment for it.

Of course, if things are getting bothersome or if the areas start to look "angry" then you should have your vet take a look.

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (7036 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (17081 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (134226 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (6902 views)

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (21938 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (7377 views)

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (7535 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (38313 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (11305 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (9138 views)