Puppy is leaking urine.

Breed: bullmastiff
Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The dog daycare i've taken her too has mentioned it many times and i chalked it up to young age but now im more concerned. Yesterday she got up to run and play and the urine just ran out. She has also peed laying down. Her urine does not smell strong or appear dark in color. She seems totally unable to control it also is this something common to bullmastiffs. Thankyou

There are a few things that can cause a puppy to not be able to hold her pee like you have described.

She may have an ectopic ureter. I drew a picture to help explain what an ectopic ureter is:

ectopic ureter picture

The normal side is labelled as Kidney #1. The ureter is the tube that takes urine from the kidney to the bladder. Note how on the side of Kidney #1 the ureter empties into the bladder.

But, on Kidney #2, the ureter goes past the bladder and empties into the vagina. If this happens the vagina can't hold urine like the bladder can and so it empties out which results in a dog that leaks urine.

The way that a vet tests for an ectopic ureter is by doing an xray using medication that is injected that allows them to see urine pass from the kidneys, through the ureters and then see where it goes.

Some dogs with an ectopic ureter can be fixed with surgery.

It is also possible that she has a medical problem such as a urinary tract infection or crystals in her urine. Both of these cause inflammation that makes her feel like she has to pee all the time. Your vet can determine this with a urine test.

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (15160 views)

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (4662 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (19718 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (161375 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (10673 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (10837 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (22821 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (54757 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (26981 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (11602 views)