Puppy is leaking urine.

Breed: bullmastiff
Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The dog daycare i've taken her too has mentioned it many times and i chalked it up to young age but now im more concerned. Yesterday she got up to run and play and the urine just ran out. She has also peed laying down. Her urine does not smell strong or appear dark in color. She seems totally unable to control it also is this something common to bullmastiffs. Thankyou

There are a few things that can cause a puppy to not be able to hold her pee like you have described.

She may have an ectopic ureter. I drew a picture to help explain what an ectopic ureter is:

ectopic ureter picture

The normal side is labelled as Kidney #1. The ureter is the tube that takes urine from the kidney to the bladder. Note how on the side of Kidney #1 the ureter empties into the bladder.

But, on Kidney #2, the ureter goes past the bladder and empties into the vagina. If this happens the vagina can't hold urine like the bladder can and so it empties out which results in a dog that leaks urine.

The way that a vet tests for an ectopic ureter is by doing an xray using medication that is injected that allows them to see urine pass from the kidneys, through the ureters and then see where it goes.

Some dogs with an ectopic ureter can be fixed with surgery.

It is also possible that she has a medical problem such as a urinary tract infection or crystals in her urine. Both of these cause inflammation that makes her feel like she has to pee all the time. Your vet can determine this with a urine test.

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (12789 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (9152 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (8035 views)

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (29197 views)

Did I cause my cat's brain injuries? hi ya i was playing with my cat and it scrap me bad so i slapped him on the head he... (24742 views)

Hot spot on head. My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has... (10002 views)

Lentigo on a daschund. Dear Dr. Marie, I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when... (41839 views)

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (11134 views)

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (28729 views)

Male rabbits mounting. i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and... (46962 views)