Puppy is leaking urine.

Breed: bullmastiff
Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The dog daycare i've taken her too has mentioned it many times and i chalked it up to young age but now im more concerned. Yesterday she got up to run and play and the urine just ran out. She has also peed laying down. Her urine does not smell strong or appear dark in color. She seems totally unable to control it also is this something common to bullmastiffs. Thankyou

There are a few things that can cause a puppy to not be able to hold her pee like you have described.

She may have an ectopic ureter. I drew a picture to help explain what an ectopic ureter is:

ectopic ureter picture

The normal side is labelled as Kidney #1. The ureter is the tube that takes urine from the kidney to the bladder. Note how on the side of Kidney #1 the ureter empties into the bladder.

But, on Kidney #2, the ureter goes past the bladder and empties into the vagina. If this happens the vagina can't hold urine like the bladder can and so it empties out which results in a dog that leaks urine.

The way that a vet tests for an ectopic ureter is by doing an xray using medication that is injected that allows them to see urine pass from the kidneys, through the ureters and then see where it goes.

Some dogs with an ectopic ureter can be fixed with surgery.

It is also possible that she has a medical problem such as a urinary tract infection or crystals in her urine. Both of these cause inflammation that makes her feel like she has to pee all the time. Your vet can determine this with a urine test.

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (8435 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (6631 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (13012 views)

Lump near nipple. She has a lump(i think so).. It's hard, and about a marble's size in... (9782 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (15056 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (30695 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (8119 views)

Dog won't pee in the yard. Our shiba Jesse has always peed and pooped in our fenced in backyard. We recently... (29404 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (18882 views)

Not eating or drinking because lonely? i have a puppy i've had her in the backyard now my sister had an inspection at her... (7524 views)