Foot got caught in door.

Breed: Chiwawa
As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the storm door for him, the door caught his right hind foot and appears to have jammed his toenails. There is no broken skin, he does not appear to be in constant pain, but holds his hind leg up when walking, and will stand on all fours if standing still. When I put slight pressure on any other part of that leg or foot, it does not seem to bother him, but if I touch the toes on the injured foot, he whimpers. I have applied cold packs to his foot, and have given him one Osteo-Care chewable treat for dogs (it contains vitamin E, and Gluscamine and Chondroitin.) He is playing, eating, and acting normal, other than holding up that hind leg when walking. Is it safe to assume that he will probably be ok in a few days?

Hi there and thanks for your question.

Sorry to hear that Peetie got his foot caught in the door!

This is a tough one to answer without examining your dog. However, if he is playing and eating well then it is likely not something that you need to rush to emergency for.

If he is still not right in a day or two then he will need to see the vet to be assessed for fractures.

As far as pain goes, while I can't legally advise you on pain meds you can read the pros and cons of aspirin and how much to give (if you would like) here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

If you do give aspirin I usually only recommend it as a one time dose as some dogs can get stomach issues if it is given repeatedly.

I hope he does ok!

Hairless cat skin problem. I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the... (11718 views)

Can a dog transmit HIV or hep c Hello, I know you've had a similar question before but I'm unsure about... (66411 views)

Lump with open sores. Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds... (29604 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (13818 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (7409 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (57209 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (8766 views)

Questions about cryptosporidium. Vet told me dog has cryptosporidium She had diarrehea and vomit but lasted 24 hours... (30421 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (7290 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (9378 views)