Foot got caught in door.

Breed: Chiwawa
As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the storm door for him, the door caught his right hind foot and appears to have jammed his toenails. There is no broken skin, he does not appear to be in constant pain, but holds his hind leg up when walking, and will stand on all fours if standing still. When I put slight pressure on any other part of that leg or foot, it does not seem to bother him, but if I touch the toes on the injured foot, he whimpers. I have applied cold packs to his foot, and have given him one Osteo-Care chewable treat for dogs (it contains vitamin E, and Gluscamine and Chondroitin.) He is playing, eating, and acting normal, other than holding up that hind leg when walking. Is it safe to assume that he will probably be ok in a few days?

Hi there and thanks for your question.

Sorry to hear that Peetie got his foot caught in the door!

This is a tough one to answer without examining your dog. However, if he is playing and eating well then it is likely not something that you need to rush to emergency for.

If he is still not right in a day or two then he will need to see the vet to be assessed for fractures.

As far as pain goes, while I can't legally advise you on pain meds you can read the pros and cons of aspirin and how much to give (if you would like) here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

If you do give aspirin I usually only recommend it as a one time dose as some dogs can get stomach issues if it is given repeatedly.

I hope he does ok!

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (21441 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (31816 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (15194 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (14934 views)

Dog sick after eating apricots. Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors... (19924 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (6532 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (18500 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (8626 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (5291 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (11705 views)