Foot got caught in door.

Breed: Chiwawa
As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the storm door for him, the door caught his right hind foot and appears to have jammed his toenails. There is no broken skin, he does not appear to be in constant pain, but holds his hind leg up when walking, and will stand on all fours if standing still. When I put slight pressure on any other part of that leg or foot, it does not seem to bother him, but if I touch the toes on the injured foot, he whimpers. I have applied cold packs to his foot, and have given him one Osteo-Care chewable treat for dogs (it contains vitamin E, and Gluscamine and Chondroitin.) He is playing, eating, and acting normal, other than holding up that hind leg when walking. Is it safe to assume that he will probably be ok in a few days?

Hi there and thanks for your question.

Sorry to hear that Peetie got his foot caught in the door!

This is a tough one to answer without examining your dog. However, if he is playing and eating well then it is likely not something that you need to rush to emergency for.

If he is still not right in a day or two then he will need to see the vet to be assessed for fractures.

As far as pain goes, while I can't legally advise you on pain meds you can read the pros and cons of aspirin and how much to give (if you would like) here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

If you do give aspirin I usually only recommend it as a one time dose as some dogs can get stomach issues if it is given repeatedly.

I hope he does ok!

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (13420 views)

Dog ate chicken bones. PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What... (145341 views)

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (7183 views)

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (9441 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (15556 views)

Swollen feet in older cat. My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have... (19338 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (31629 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (46710 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (12220 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (23147 views)