Foot got caught in door.

Breed: Chiwawa
As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the storm door for him, the door caught his right hind foot and appears to have jammed his toenails. There is no broken skin, he does not appear to be in constant pain, but holds his hind leg up when walking, and will stand on all fours if standing still. When I put slight pressure on any other part of that leg or foot, it does not seem to bother him, but if I touch the toes on the injured foot, he whimpers. I have applied cold packs to his foot, and have given him one Osteo-Care chewable treat for dogs (it contains vitamin E, and Gluscamine and Chondroitin.) He is playing, eating, and acting normal, other than holding up that hind leg when walking. Is it safe to assume that he will probably be ok in a few days?

Hi there and thanks for your question.

Sorry to hear that Peetie got his foot caught in the door!

This is a tough one to answer without examining your dog. However, if he is playing and eating well then it is likely not something that you need to rush to emergency for.

If he is still not right in a day or two then he will need to see the vet to be assessed for fractures.

As far as pain goes, while I can't legally advise you on pain meds you can read the pros and cons of aspirin and how much to give (if you would like) here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

If you do give aspirin I usually only recommend it as a one time dose as some dogs can get stomach issues if it is given repeatedly.

I hope he does ok!

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (12616 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (9775 views)

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (11771 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (8133 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (17300 views)

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (12854 views)

In pain after anal gland surgery. my pet just got an anal gland removed and he dosent want to get up to eat. he has... (7712 views)

Diarrhea and then death. My question is about the death of our Daisy Mae. We are staying in South Padre... (37105 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (31973 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (9008 views)