Foot got caught in door.

Breed: Chiwawa
As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the storm door for him, the door caught his right hind foot and appears to have jammed his toenails. There is no broken skin, he does not appear to be in constant pain, but holds his hind leg up when walking, and will stand on all fours if standing still. When I put slight pressure on any other part of that leg or foot, it does not seem to bother him, but if I touch the toes on the injured foot, he whimpers. I have applied cold packs to his foot, and have given him one Osteo-Care chewable treat for dogs (it contains vitamin E, and Gluscamine and Chondroitin.) He is playing, eating, and acting normal, other than holding up that hind leg when walking. Is it safe to assume that he will probably be ok in a few days?

Hi there and thanks for your question.

Sorry to hear that Peetie got his foot caught in the door!

This is a tough one to answer without examining your dog. However, if he is playing and eating well then it is likely not something that you need to rush to emergency for.

If he is still not right in a day or two then he will need to see the vet to be assessed for fractures.

As far as pain goes, while I can't legally advise you on pain meds you can read the pros and cons of aspirin and how much to give (if you would like) here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

If you do give aspirin I usually only recommend it as a one time dose as some dogs can get stomach issues if it is given repeatedly.

I hope he does ok!

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (9205 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (13901 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (10781 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (10537 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (14184 views)

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (16206 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (22806 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (9074 views)

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (6824 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (9228 views)