Shedding Akita.

Breed: japenese akita
my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse hair under neath is this normal

This certainly can be normal. Akitas can go through a massive shed where they get rid of old hairs and generate new ones.

The only reasons that would prompt me to take this dog to a vet are:
  • If there was red, itchy skin anywhere

• If the dog was not feeling well

• If the new hair is not growing in properly after a month or so

• If there were any scabs or lesions anywhere

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (13982 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (12960 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (13042 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (8695 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (12817 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (13026 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (11037 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (14572 views)

Cat has diarrhea. Hi, Our cat has diarrhea - it seems that she licks and licks herself and then it... (9611 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (18488 views)