High lipase and triglycerides.

Breed: Jackapoo
Hi Dr. Marie

I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy diagnosis beck in February at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

I was advised to wait til May to have his bile acids and liver panel repeated. So I waited and we finally did it. I am happy to report his bile acid tests were near normal with the pre meal being 16.8 and the post meal being 10.4..... In December they had been much higher. And his ALKP had been 675 and had dropped tp 275 now. He is on Denamarin and I have no doubt that has helped him alot. So good news on that level to report to you.

However, I am disturbed about something else on his blood panel that has never been abnormal before. His Triglycerides were up to 497 with the labs cutoff being 291 and his Lipase was 725 with cutoff being 695. Now what bugs me is the vet called me a month ago to give me results and didnt mention these were off. He told me everything was just fine. So I went in yesterday to get Oreo's flea and tick application for him and got a copy of the results and saw those numbers. I got to talk to the vet and he told me those numbers were not bad at all. I still feel he should have told me though they were up.

So you know how I value your opinion. Are those numbers disturbing to you? My vet told me we didnt have to recheck for a year, he was thrilled with the bile acid results. He stressed you treat the dog and not the values, and Oreo is doing quite well and very happy and perky. He thinks Oreo will live out his life with this vacuolar hepatopathy with no problems. I sure hope so.

But do we have more problems brewing with those other two levels? I'm not worried about the ALKP being 275, just relieved it has gone down so much.

Value what you tell me so much Dr. Marie and if you tell me not to worry about this, I will abide by what you say. My vet said dont recheck for a year but I am uncomfortable waiting that long....?

Many thanks Dr. Marie!

Suzie

Hi Suzie! I am thrilled to hear that Oreo's levels are coming down! I am not at all worried about an ALP of 275 or about his bile acids levels.

I think I know why the vet did not mention the increases in lipase and triglycerides to you....because he knew you would worry about them!

I would agree. I have absolutely no concerns about these values in Oreo. Lipase is a vague enzyme. If I see a large increase in lipase combined with a large increase in amylase, combined with a sick dog (i.e. vomiting and not eating) then I worry about pancreatitis and I would run a test called a PLI to see if there was a pancreas problem. But a slight increase in lipase (and yes, this is just a slight increase) on its own is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Similarly, I don't get worried about a mild increase in triglycerides. I have only once in my career had a case where I was really worried about triglyceride levels. This dog had levels that were around the 11,000 mark and she had a strange lipid metabolism problem. In people we worry about triglycerides because this can be connected to a cholesterol problem. We don't worry about this in dogs. A mild increase in triglycerides like this, on its own, is absolutely nothing to worry about.

I'm so glad Oreo's tests are looking better, so now you don't need to worry so much!

:)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (16079 views)

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (11630 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (72061 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (6902 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (26764 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (10581 views)

Black lumps in a cat's ear. I recently noticed two black spots in one of my cat's ears. They haven't always been... (23942 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (59527 views)

Blood in urine. I have taken my dog to 2 vets, and had numerous tests. I noticed she was peeing... (5968 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (11280 views)