Fly biting seizures.

Breed: Newfoundlander
At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies. There are no flies in the room! I checked her eyes for foreign objects and cleaned out her mouth too in case she was actually trying to spit something out. She does this until I close the lights and then she goes to sleep. What do you think is going on?

It is possible that your dog has something called "fly biting seizures". This is a type of seizure that makes the dog look like it is snapping at flies. I found a youtube video to demonstrate. (Just ignore the audio on it though):

Fly biting is a type of epilepsy that only affects the temporal lobe of the brain. Many dogs with this problem can be treated with anti-seizure medication such as phenobarbital.

There is another possibility. I once had a schnauzer patient who looked like he had fly biting seizures but he did not respond to medication. Then, one day after he was groomed, the behavior went away. We think that he kept seeing his eyebrows and thought they were a fly buzzing around his head. Once the eyebrows were trimmed, he was cured! That's not likely the case with a newfie dog though.

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (9742 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (5110 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (9807 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (12699 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (4382 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (9072 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (14522 views)

Dog ate food with onions. my dog ate cut up sausage but it had onion,will he get sick... (8083 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (37899 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (9672 views)