Fly biting seizures.

Breed: Newfoundlander
At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies. There are no flies in the room! I checked her eyes for foreign objects and cleaned out her mouth too in case she was actually trying to spit something out. She does this until I close the lights and then she goes to sleep. What do you think is going on?

It is possible that your dog has something called "fly biting seizures". This is a type of seizure that makes the dog look like it is snapping at flies. I found a youtube video to demonstrate. (Just ignore the audio on it though):

Fly biting is a type of epilepsy that only affects the temporal lobe of the brain. Many dogs with this problem can be treated with anti-seizure medication such as phenobarbital.

There is another possibility. I once had a schnauzer patient who looked like he had fly biting seizures but he did not respond to medication. Then, one day after he was groomed, the behavior went away. We think that he kept seeing his eyebrows and thought they were a fly buzzing around his head. Once the eyebrows were trimmed, he was cured! That's not likely the case with a newfie dog though.

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (9001 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (8341 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (19983 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (7546 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (8436 views)

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (8514 views)

Can't walk, dehydrated puppy. My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously... (14787 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (17314 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (17604 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (8495 views)