Fly biting seizures.

Breed: Newfoundlander
At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies. There are no flies in the room! I checked her eyes for foreign objects and cleaned out her mouth too in case she was actually trying to spit something out. She does this until I close the lights and then she goes to sleep. What do you think is going on?

It is possible that your dog has something called "fly biting seizures". This is a type of seizure that makes the dog look like it is snapping at flies. I found a youtube video to demonstrate. (Just ignore the audio on it though):

Fly biting is a type of epilepsy that only affects the temporal lobe of the brain. Many dogs with this problem can be treated with anti-seizure medication such as phenobarbital.

There is another possibility. I once had a schnauzer patient who looked like he had fly biting seizures but he did not respond to medication. Then, one day after he was groomed, the behavior went away. We think that he kept seeing his eyebrows and thought they were a fly buzzing around his head. Once the eyebrows were trimmed, he was cured! That's not likely the case with a newfie dog though.

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (4665 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (22984 views)

Coughing. Antifungals. My seven year old, male Lab cross, Nero, has a strange condition that I have not... (8233 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (8305 views)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (12407 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (20814 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (12720 views)

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (51363 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (8884 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (27520 views)