Hot spot on head.

Breed: retriever chowx
My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has recently been around a dog that had the same type of spot on her head that spread over herentire head. Is this normal to get hot spots on the head or is there other reasons?

This definitely doesn't sound normal!

A hotspot is a localized area of skin infection. I usually treat them with oral antibiotics as well as steroids to help with the itch.

They really aren't contagious from dog to dog so it must be coincidental that both dogs got them.

Alternatively, it could be a fungal infection called ringworm which definitely is contagious from dog to dog.

It sounds like he should be checked out by a vet soon. If this is a hot spot they can rapidly increase in size if not treated fast enough.

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (26472 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7804 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (14334 views)

Seizure and diarrhea. Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had... (30485 views)

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (5770 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (39594 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (32585 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (7025 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (12529 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (5800 views)