Hot spot on head.

Breed: retriever chowx
My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has recently been around a dog that had the same type of spot on her head that spread over herentire head. Is this normal to get hot spots on the head or is there other reasons?

This definitely doesn't sound normal!

A hotspot is a localized area of skin infection. I usually treat them with oral antibiotics as well as steroids to help with the itch.

They really aren't contagious from dog to dog so it must be coincidental that both dogs got them.

Alternatively, it could be a fungal infection called ringworm which definitely is contagious from dog to dog.

It sounds like he should be checked out by a vet soon. If this is a hot spot they can rapidly increase in size if not treated fast enough.

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (12014 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (15700 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (10972 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (15057 views)

Does Hartz kill roundworms? well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or... (10528 views)

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (9459 views)

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (162982 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (16576 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (46522 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (17503 views)