Hot spot on head.

Breed: retriever chowx
My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has recently been around a dog that had the same type of spot on her head that spread over herentire head. Is this normal to get hot spots on the head or is there other reasons?

This definitely doesn't sound normal!

A hotspot is a localized area of skin infection. I usually treat them with oral antibiotics as well as steroids to help with the itch.

They really aren't contagious from dog to dog so it must be coincidental that both dogs got them.

Alternatively, it could be a fungal infection called ringworm which definitely is contagious from dog to dog.

It sounds like he should be checked out by a vet soon. If this is a hot spot they can rapidly increase in size if not treated fast enough.

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (31961 views)

Is my cat pregnant? we just opened our home to a female stray cat. i estimated her to be a year old or... (12629 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (55514 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (6217 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (61963 views)

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (37613 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (78345 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (9478 views)

Lump with open sores. Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds... (31584 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (17215 views)