Hot spot on head.

Breed: retriever chowx
My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has recently been around a dog that had the same type of spot on her head that spread over herentire head. Is this normal to get hot spots on the head or is there other reasons?

This definitely doesn't sound normal!

A hotspot is a localized area of skin infection. I usually treat them with oral antibiotics as well as steroids to help with the itch.

They really aren't contagious from dog to dog so it must be coincidental that both dogs got them.

Alternatively, it could be a fungal infection called ringworm which definitely is contagious from dog to dog.

It sounds like he should be checked out by a vet soon. If this is a hot spot they can rapidly increase in size if not treated fast enough.

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (85559 views)

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (11925 views)

Black sore near anus. Hello Dr.Marie (I am SO grateful for you!), I have had my two dogs (same breeder)... (46067 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (10004 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (25666 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (15435 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (68551 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (38237 views)

Is this distemper? I live in Mexico and I rescued Trinket when she was 8 to 10 weeks old. She had... (8613 views)

Brown spots on puppy's belly. Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area... (43172 views)