Hot spot on head.

Breed: retriever chowx
My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has recently been around a dog that had the same type of spot on her head that spread over herentire head. Is this normal to get hot spots on the head or is there other reasons?

This definitely doesn't sound normal!

A hotspot is a localized area of skin infection. I usually treat them with oral antibiotics as well as steroids to help with the itch.

They really aren't contagious from dog to dog so it must be coincidental that both dogs got them.

Alternatively, it could be a fungal infection called ringworm which definitely is contagious from dog to dog.

It sounds like he should be checked out by a vet soon. If this is a hot spot they can rapidly increase in size if not treated fast enough.

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (11504 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (17584 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (25830 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (12058 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (10658 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (39512 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (16436 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (7076 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (54247 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (14199 views)