Cat is sneezing a lot.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I adopted her she suffered from upper respiratory infection. She would cough and hack until her vet prescribed an antibiotic which cleared things up.

This summer my cat started overgrooming and would lick the fur off of her belly and legs. The vet said she thought it might be an allergy or perhaps just a "mental thing" with the cat.

No meds were prescribed for that disorder and she didn't do well with non-allergetic foods.

FYI: She is an indoor cat and has tested negative for feline lukemia and negative for herpes. She is up to date on shots.

About five days ago I noticed she would occasionally sneeze. Not often, but she NEVER sneezes!

The sneezing became more frequent so I brought her to the vet today.

The vet said there was no apparent discharge from the cat's nose, her eyes were clear. The vet said she guessed it was allergies and gave her an antihistimine pill (which hasn't helped).

Otherwise the vet said the sneezing was probably making ME feel worse that the cat, that it was perhaps something she might have to live with.

I cannot believe, however, that my cat may have to go days, weeks, months, etc., repeatedly sneezing during her waking hours.

Can you please advise what you think my next step with this should be?

Thank you.
Brian

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Abby may not be feeling well!

If your cat's sneezing hasn't improved with antihistamines then there may be something else going on.

The most common reason for sneezing is an upper respiratory virus. It may be that she has a mild virus. Often in a mild virus or in the early stages of a virus all we will see is sneezing. Some cats will go on to get stuffed up sick like Abby was when you first got her, but not all do.

Sometimes when a vaccinated cat comes in contact with a virus then all we see is some sneezing and that's it.

If it is a virus then there is a good chance that it will pass on its own within a few days. But, if you start seeing a green discharge from her nose or eyes or if she is not eating then she may need antibiotics.

We can also see sneezing because of a foreign object up the nose like a small blade of grass. This is really not common though. Usually if this is the case then there is a gross pus discharge from one nostril.

While I can't say for sure without seeing Abby, if I had a case where a cat was sneezing and that was it, I would likely advise to do nothing and wait it out. If I really felt there was a virus present I may prescribe some Lysine which is an amino acid which works well to stop a virus from replicating.

I hope this helps and I hope Abby does well!

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (13455 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (5590 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (12740 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (14302 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (23893 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (9041 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (10782 views)

Thyroid cancer? Hello, about 10 months ago my dog started heavily panting while playing with her... (11506 views)

Cat with a cold. My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her... (17518 views)

Vet didn't ask my permission. I came home to find my beloved cat unable to stand (seemed drunken) and felt cooler... (8483 views)