Cat is sneezing a lot.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I adopted her she suffered from upper respiratory infection. She would cough and hack until her vet prescribed an antibiotic which cleared things up.

This summer my cat started overgrooming and would lick the fur off of her belly and legs. The vet said she thought it might be an allergy or perhaps just a "mental thing" with the cat.

No meds were prescribed for that disorder and she didn't do well with non-allergetic foods.

FYI: She is an indoor cat and has tested negative for feline lukemia and negative for herpes. She is up to date on shots.

About five days ago I noticed she would occasionally sneeze. Not often, but she NEVER sneezes!

The sneezing became more frequent so I brought her to the vet today.

The vet said there was no apparent discharge from the cat's nose, her eyes were clear. The vet said she guessed it was allergies and gave her an antihistimine pill (which hasn't helped).

Otherwise the vet said the sneezing was probably making ME feel worse that the cat, that it was perhaps something she might have to live with.

I cannot believe, however, that my cat may have to go days, weeks, months, etc., repeatedly sneezing during her waking hours.

Can you please advise what you think my next step with this should be?

Thank you.
Brian

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Abby may not be feeling well!

If your cat's sneezing hasn't improved with antihistamines then there may be something else going on.

The most common reason for sneezing is an upper respiratory virus. It may be that she has a mild virus. Often in a mild virus or in the early stages of a virus all we will see is sneezing. Some cats will go on to get stuffed up sick like Abby was when you first got her, but not all do.

Sometimes when a vaccinated cat comes in contact with a virus then all we see is some sneezing and that's it.

If it is a virus then there is a good chance that it will pass on its own within a few days. But, if you start seeing a green discharge from her nose or eyes or if she is not eating then she may need antibiotics.

We can also see sneezing because of a foreign object up the nose like a small blade of grass. This is really not common though. Usually if this is the case then there is a gross pus discharge from one nostril.

While I can't say for sure without seeing Abby, if I had a case where a cat was sneezing and that was it, I would likely advise to do nothing and wait it out. If I really felt there was a virus present I may prescribe some Lysine which is an amino acid which works well to stop a virus from replicating.

I hope this helps and I hope Abby does well!

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (22013 views)

Patches of hair loss on snout. Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of... (23797 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (17366 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (24062 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (17707 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (13085 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (11510 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (8037 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (38547 views)

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (12414 views)