Lump after vaccines.

Breed: Miniture Schnauzer
We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he got a little bump under his skin but now, a week later, its a huge tumor feeling lump under his skin. What could this be? Is it even okay to give dogs shots there rather than in the neck?

It's quite common for a dog to get a little bump at the site of a vaccination. We call this a vaccine granuloma. They almost always go away on their own within a couple of months, but rarely they can go on to become cancerous.

However, if there is a huge lump where your dog had his vaccination then I am concerned that this may be an abscess. Any time something is injected into the body, this is a possibility. It is not common though.

And yes, it is quite common to give injections over the lower back. I give a lot of injections over either hip.

It sounds like you will need to have your vet take another look at Max and figure out what is going on.

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (8260 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (18028 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (10110 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (62661 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (10940 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (40174 views)

Cat with hyperthyroidism. Hi again! I spoke to you last week regarding the bad behavior of my cat. She has... (22078 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (48450 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (6724 views)

Discharge from vulva. My cat Miss Fitzgibbons who is 3 years old has suddenly become quite weak. She is... (6415 views)