Lump after vaccines.

Breed: Miniture Schnauzer
We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he got a little bump under his skin but now, a week later, its a huge tumor feeling lump under his skin. What could this be? Is it even okay to give dogs shots there rather than in the neck?

It's quite common for a dog to get a little bump at the site of a vaccination. We call this a vaccine granuloma. They almost always go away on their own within a couple of months, but rarely they can go on to become cancerous.

However, if there is a huge lump where your dog had his vaccination then I am concerned that this may be an abscess. Any time something is injected into the body, this is a possibility. It is not common though.

And yes, it is quite common to give injections over the lower back. I give a lot of injections over either hip.

It sounds like you will need to have your vet take another look at Max and figure out what is going on.

Rat is not eating. my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food... (11434 views)

Is pinkeye contagious to pets? My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog... (32363 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (133713 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (16807 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (21500 views)

Questions from a student? I have a grade 6 student doing a research project on Veteranarians. Could she use... (9530 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (10524 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (49966 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (11678 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (8393 views)