Lump after vaccines.

Breed: Miniture Schnauzer
We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he got a little bump under his skin but now, a week later, its a huge tumor feeling lump under his skin. What could this be? Is it even okay to give dogs shots there rather than in the neck?

It's quite common for a dog to get a little bump at the site of a vaccination. We call this a vaccine granuloma. They almost always go away on their own within a couple of months, but rarely they can go on to become cancerous.

However, if there is a huge lump where your dog had his vaccination then I am concerned that this may be an abscess. Any time something is injected into the body, this is a possibility. It is not common though.

And yes, it is quite common to give injections over the lower back. I give a lot of injections over either hip.

It sounds like you will need to have your vet take another look at Max and figure out what is going on.

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (9281 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (13069 views)

Dog ate a dead bird. he ate a dead bird today,hes been sick once,he seems fine and hes eating,should i... (31427 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (27312 views)

Puppy is very hyper. Gracey was born on July 6th..so she will be six months soon. We have had dogs all... (10009 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (11475 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (18345 views)

Getting cat to lose weight. Dear Dr Marie, We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight.... (7724 views)

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (12165 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (10986 views)