Lump after vaccines.

Breed: Miniture Schnauzer
We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he got a little bump under his skin but now, a week later, its a huge tumor feeling lump under his skin. What could this be? Is it even okay to give dogs shots there rather than in the neck?

It's quite common for a dog to get a little bump at the site of a vaccination. We call this a vaccine granuloma. They almost always go away on their own within a couple of months, but rarely they can go on to become cancerous.

However, if there is a huge lump where your dog had his vaccination then I am concerned that this may be an abscess. Any time something is injected into the body, this is a possibility. It is not common though.

And yes, it is quite common to give injections over the lower back. I give a lot of injections over either hip.

It sounds like you will need to have your vet take another look at Max and figure out what is going on.

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (45211 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (10720 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (7805 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (17642 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (19418 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (13781 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (10139 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (16586 views)

Itchy face and ears. Abbey has been itching her neck face ears area ive stopped with dog treats changed... (12432 views)

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (10446 views)