Lump after vaccines.

Breed: Miniture Schnauzer
We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he got a little bump under his skin but now, a week later, its a huge tumor feeling lump under his skin. What could this be? Is it even okay to give dogs shots there rather than in the neck?

It's quite common for a dog to get a little bump at the site of a vaccination. We call this a vaccine granuloma. They almost always go away on their own within a couple of months, but rarely they can go on to become cancerous.

However, if there is a huge lump where your dog had his vaccination then I am concerned that this may be an abscess. Any time something is injected into the body, this is a possibility. It is not common though.

And yes, it is quite common to give injections over the lower back. I give a lot of injections over either hip.

It sounds like you will need to have your vet take another look at Max and figure out what is going on.

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (112563 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (11062 views)

Itchy dog. whats would be the best flea medication for a my dog?? hes been chewing for months... (8278 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (6019 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (7061 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (10688 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (6855 views)

Food allergy? My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot.... (7088 views)

Chihuahuas with parvo My three puppies are sick i believe they all have parvo. Here are my reasons 1).The... (10418 views)

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (9575 views)