Lump after vaccines.

Breed: Miniture Schnauzer
We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he got a little bump under his skin but now, a week later, its a huge tumor feeling lump under his skin. What could this be? Is it even okay to give dogs shots there rather than in the neck?

It's quite common for a dog to get a little bump at the site of a vaccination. We call this a vaccine granuloma. They almost always go away on their own within a couple of months, but rarely they can go on to become cancerous.

However, if there is a huge lump where your dog had his vaccination then I am concerned that this may be an abscess. Any time something is injected into the body, this is a possibility. It is not common though.

And yes, it is quite common to give injections over the lower back. I give a lot of injections over either hip.

It sounds like you will need to have your vet take another look at Max and figure out what is going on.

Trifexis overdose? I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his... (26550 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (18338 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (18938 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4333 views)

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (14172 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (72183 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (10674 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (14605 views)

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (12139 views)

Cosequin questions Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left... (12839 views)