Does high pitch affect seizures?

Breed: chihuahua
Hello there,

I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me constantly. Whether it's just to go downstairs or entering our home. We've tried a few methods to discourage him, like spray bottles but they've become less affective. We were thinking about trying a product called Bark Off. Which supposedly discourages barking by emitting a high frequency sound which disrupts their barking. Are concern is that Rocko has had seizures in the past, maybe 3-4 a year, and we wondered if sound could be a trigger for seizures. So we were just wondering if there's any reason the sound would cause seizures.

Thank you
- Laura

Hi Laura and thanks for your question.

As far as I know, a high pitched sound is not known to trigger seizures. However, there are some dogs that can have their seizures triggered by stress, so if it is really stressful to have this sound go off then it is in theory possible that a seizure could be triggered. (But I doubt it).

Some other things you may want to look into for barking are citronella collars which emit a spray that dogs don't like.

I am not a fan of shock collars for barking as there is a lot of potential for things to go wrong.

I know there is an ad that often pops up on my site for anti-barking, but I haven't been able to check it out just yet.

I hope this answers your question.

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (8669 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (22220 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (3975 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (12723 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (7835 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (10686 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (6460 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (31267 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (3775 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (7367 views)