Does high pitch affect seizures?

Breed: chihuahua
Hello there,

I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me constantly. Whether it's just to go downstairs or entering our home. We've tried a few methods to discourage him, like spray bottles but they've become less affective. We were thinking about trying a product called Bark Off. Which supposedly discourages barking by emitting a high frequency sound which disrupts their barking. Are concern is that Rocko has had seizures in the past, maybe 3-4 a year, and we wondered if sound could be a trigger for seizures. So we were just wondering if there's any reason the sound would cause seizures.

Thank you
- Laura

Hi Laura and thanks for your question.

As far as I know, a high pitched sound is not known to trigger seizures. However, there are some dogs that can have their seizures triggered by stress, so if it is really stressful to have this sound go off then it is in theory possible that a seizure could be triggered. (But I doubt it).

Some other things you may want to look into for barking are citronella collars which emit a spray that dogs don't like.

I am not a fan of shock collars for barking as there is a lot of potential for things to go wrong.

I know there is an ad that often pops up on my site for anti-barking, but I haven't been able to check it out just yet.

I hope this answers your question.

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (35978 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (18307 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (8449 views)

Start vaccines over? i just have had my dog for 3 months, not sure what shots have been given no record,... (6159 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (12013 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (16090 views)

Mesenchymal tumor Need some input. My dog (she's 6)had developed a small lump/bump on her head above... (9466 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (11467 views)

Shih Tzu not eating. He stopped eating 6 days ago. Yesterday the vet said temperature, fecal, urine,... (33720 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (8050 views)