Does high pitch affect seizures?

Breed: chihuahua
Hello there,

I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me constantly. Whether it's just to go downstairs or entering our home. We've tried a few methods to discourage him, like spray bottles but they've become less affective. We were thinking about trying a product called Bark Off. Which supposedly discourages barking by emitting a high frequency sound which disrupts their barking. Are concern is that Rocko has had seizures in the past, maybe 3-4 a year, and we wondered if sound could be a trigger for seizures. So we were just wondering if there's any reason the sound would cause seizures.

Thank you
- Laura

Hi Laura and thanks for your question.

As far as I know, a high pitched sound is not known to trigger seizures. However, there are some dogs that can have their seizures triggered by stress, so if it is really stressful to have this sound go off then it is in theory possible that a seizure could be triggered. (But I doubt it).

Some other things you may want to look into for barking are citronella collars which emit a spray that dogs don't like.

I am not a fan of shock collars for barking as there is a lot of potential for things to go wrong.

I know there is an ad that often pops up on my site for anti-barking, but I haven't been able to check it out just yet.

I hope this answers your question.

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (16896 views)

Homeopathic medicine questions. My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from... (11445 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (7924 views)

Can dogs eat fruits and vegetables? Can dogs eat vegatbles or fruits. Thank... (10193 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (5010 views)

GNRH implant I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN... (11858 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (8686 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (44614 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (12639 views)

Possible rabies. Hello, My dog bit me, on my arm, exactly 10 days ago. Today is the 10th day and he... (8812 views)