Does high pitch affect seizures?

Breed: chihuahua
Hello there,

I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me constantly. Whether it's just to go downstairs or entering our home. We've tried a few methods to discourage him, like spray bottles but they've become less affective. We were thinking about trying a product called Bark Off. Which supposedly discourages barking by emitting a high frequency sound which disrupts their barking. Are concern is that Rocko has had seizures in the past, maybe 3-4 a year, and we wondered if sound could be a trigger for seizures. So we were just wondering if there's any reason the sound would cause seizures.

Thank you
- Laura

Hi Laura and thanks for your question.

As far as I know, a high pitched sound is not known to trigger seizures. However, there are some dogs that can have their seizures triggered by stress, so if it is really stressful to have this sound go off then it is in theory possible that a seizure could be triggered. (But I doubt it).

Some other things you may want to look into for barking are citronella collars which emit a spray that dogs don't like.

I am not a fan of shock collars for barking as there is a lot of potential for things to go wrong.

I know there is an ad that often pops up on my site for anti-barking, but I haven't been able to check it out just yet.

I hope this answers your question.

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (15863 views)

Dog inhaled bleach. Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my... (45910 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (8513 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (23836 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (6023 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (30237 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (19151 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (73082 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (14052 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (8402 views)