Is my dog hypothyroid?

Breed: Bichon Frise
My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who weighs 10 lbs. My question is that I took to a local vet
and they tested her thyroid. The test came back that she has a low count and needed to be on medicine. That was about 2 years ago. I being the bad pet owner did not continue getting the medicine. I know shame on me.
Anyway I took her recently to another vet and they tested her and it came back normal is that possible. She does not eat anymore food than my other bichon.

Thank You
Kathy

It's possible that the first thryoid reading was actually something called a sick euthyroid. Sometimes if a dog is fighting something else (such as a skin infection, or other illness) the T4 level will be low.

When I get a low T4 level I always confirm that this is hypothyroidism by doing additional tests. I only put a dog on medication if the additional thyroid profile tests confirm that it is necessary.

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (10403 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (6703 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (11625 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (12590 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (10817 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (10959 views)

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (12554 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (16849 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (10343 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (135508 views)