Calcification in the lungs.

Breed: Miniature Schnauzer
dog lung calcification

Dear Dr.Mari,
I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog breathes, so I visited Vet.
On the x-ray, the lung calcification is checked. It sounds like he's having difficulty to breathe with some phlegm (stuck) in his throat. I would like to know what I should do or give him when he has a trouble to breathe, and whether it's curable or is there any way that I could delay the progress or make things better.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is having trouble breathing. I wonder if you are able to tell me a bit more about what the vet saw on the xrays. If what was mentioned to you was "calcification in the lungs" then this can just be something normal. As dogs age we can see tiny little white spots on lung xrays that are areas of calcification. They're not a sign of disease and they don't cause coughing.

Now if there was just one large area that looks calcified then I would be more concerned about more serious things like cancer. But, lung cancer in dogs usually does not cause coughing until it is very widespread.

It's really hard to say what needs to be done with Benno. Can you tell me what your vet advised?

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Dear Dr.Marie,
Thank you for your reply.
I would like to send you the X-ray pictures to explain his condition accurately.
Where could I send them?

The vet here said that X-ray shows a very fuggy lungs. It looks like a big white cloud is on where the lungs should be.
He doesn't cough, but his breathing seems labored with hoarse sound.

Sure. If you have a photo of the xrays you can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for sending me the photos. Unfortunately though, these xrays do not show the lungs at all. I am just seeing the abdomen and there is not enough detail for me to such much at all. And, I am not able to open the video that you sent. Perhaps you could try uploading it to Youtube?

Did the doctor give you any sort of diagnosis or tell you what the problem was likely to be?

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (7631 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (12883 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (25303 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (6910 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (7047 views)

Old cat with lump on paw. Our family cat is 13 to 15 years old. within the last two weeks she has lost her... (5007 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (2868 views)

cat with trouble breathing I have a cat named Bunny, she is about 4 or 5 years old, she is a little over... (15229 views)

Cat is very thirsty. I have a one year old cat, he eats well no concerns there, but he is consently... (6685 views)

In pain after anal gland surgery. my pet just got an anal gland removed and he dosent want to get up to eat. he has... (5308 views)