Calcification in the lungs.

Breed: Miniature Schnauzer
dog lung calcification

Dear Dr.Mari,
I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog breathes, so I visited Vet.
On the x-ray, the lung calcification is checked. It sounds like he's having difficulty to breathe with some phlegm (stuck) in his throat. I would like to know what I should do or give him when he has a trouble to breathe, and whether it's curable or is there any way that I could delay the progress or make things better.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is having trouble breathing. I wonder if you are able to tell me a bit more about what the vet saw on the xrays. If what was mentioned to you was "calcification in the lungs" then this can just be something normal. As dogs age we can see tiny little white spots on lung xrays that are areas of calcification. They're not a sign of disease and they don't cause coughing.

Now if there was just one large area that looks calcified then I would be more concerned about more serious things like cancer. But, lung cancer in dogs usually does not cause coughing until it is very widespread.

It's really hard to say what needs to be done with Benno. Can you tell me what your vet advised?

Dear Dr.Marie,
Thank you for your reply.
I would like to send you the X-ray pictures to explain his condition accurately.
Where could I send them?

The vet here said that X-ray shows a very fuggy lungs. It looks like a big white cloud is on where the lungs should be.
He doesn't cough, but his breathing seems labored with hoarse sound.

Sure. If you have a photo of the xrays you can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for sending me the photos. Unfortunately though, these xrays do not show the lungs at all. I am just seeing the abdomen and there is not enough detail for me to such much at all. And, I am not able to open the video that you sent. Perhaps you could try uploading it to Youtube?

Did the doctor give you any sort of diagnosis or tell you what the problem was likely to be?

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (11163 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (5471 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (10130 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (3936 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (14658 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (7030 views)

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (9681 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (8131 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (16256 views)

Sugar is second ingredient. I ordered dog food online two days ago and just now realized the second ingredient... (3666 views)