Calcification in the lungs.

Breed: Miniature Schnauzer
dog lung calcification

Dear Dr.Mari,
I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog breathes, so I visited Vet.
On the x-ray, the lung calcification is checked. It sounds like he's having difficulty to breathe with some phlegm (stuck) in his throat. I would like to know what I should do or give him when he has a trouble to breathe, and whether it's curable or is there any way that I could delay the progress or make things better.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is having trouble breathing. I wonder if you are able to tell me a bit more about what the vet saw on the xrays. If what was mentioned to you was "calcification in the lungs" then this can just be something normal. As dogs age we can see tiny little white spots on lung xrays that are areas of calcification. They're not a sign of disease and they don't cause coughing.

Now if there was just one large area that looks calcified then I would be more concerned about more serious things like cancer. But, lung cancer in dogs usually does not cause coughing until it is very widespread.

It's really hard to say what needs to be done with Benno. Can you tell me what your vet advised?

Dear Dr.Marie,
Thank you for your reply.
I would like to send you the X-ray pictures to explain his condition accurately.
Where could I send them?

The vet here said that X-ray shows a very fuggy lungs. It looks like a big white cloud is on where the lungs should be.
He doesn't cough, but his breathing seems labored with hoarse sound.

Sure. If you have a photo of the xrays you can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for sending me the photos. Unfortunately though, these xrays do not show the lungs at all. I am just seeing the abdomen and there is not enough detail for me to such much at all. And, I am not able to open the video that you sent. Perhaps you could try uploading it to Youtube?

Did the doctor give you any sort of diagnosis or tell you what the problem was likely to be?

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (6088 views)

Chlamydia contagious? Can dogs get chlamydia? I encountered information regarding oral chlamydia&don't... (6910 views)

Does Hartz kill roundworms? well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or... (6646 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (5229 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (4484 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (6697 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (3610 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (4593 views)

Heat symptoms pregnant cat. My cat is pregnant but still acting like she's in season, this has been going on now... (3078 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (12210 views)