Calcification in the lungs.

Breed: Miniature Schnauzer
dog lung calcification

Dear Dr.Mari,
I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog breathes, so I visited Vet.
On the x-ray, the lung calcification is checked. It sounds like he's having difficulty to breathe with some phlegm (stuck) in his throat. I would like to know what I should do or give him when he has a trouble to breathe, and whether it's curable or is there any way that I could delay the progress or make things better.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is having trouble breathing. I wonder if you are able to tell me a bit more about what the vet saw on the xrays. If what was mentioned to you was "calcification in the lungs" then this can just be something normal. As dogs age we can see tiny little white spots on lung xrays that are areas of calcification. They're not a sign of disease and they don't cause coughing.

Now if there was just one large area that looks calcified then I would be more concerned about more serious things like cancer. But, lung cancer in dogs usually does not cause coughing until it is very widespread.

It's really hard to say what needs to be done with Benno. Can you tell me what your vet advised?

Dear Dr.Marie,
Thank you for your reply.
I would like to send you the X-ray pictures to explain his condition accurately.
Where could I send them?

The vet here said that X-ray shows a very fuggy lungs. It looks like a big white cloud is on where the lungs should be.
He doesn't cough, but his breathing seems labored with hoarse sound.

Sure. If you have a photo of the xrays you can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for sending me the photos. Unfortunately though, these xrays do not show the lungs at all. I am just seeing the abdomen and there is not enough detail for me to such much at all. And, I am not able to open the video that you sent. Perhaps you could try uploading it to Youtube?

Did the doctor give you any sort of diagnosis or tell you what the problem was likely to be?

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (51927 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. We went up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend, both of our dogs receive home made food,... (10342 views)

Golden Retriever Losing Weight. Hi my dog is 13 years old ,and tough he acts fine ,and goes walking everyday,he has... (13009 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (8662 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (56322 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (16890 views)

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (6778 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (5733 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (12215 views)

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (3700 views)