Calcification in the lungs.

Breed: Miniature Schnauzer
dog lung calcification

Dear Dr.Mari,
I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog breathes, so I visited Vet.
On the x-ray, the lung calcification is checked. It sounds like he's having difficulty to breathe with some phlegm (stuck) in his throat. I would like to know what I should do or give him when he has a trouble to breathe, and whether it's curable or is there any way that I could delay the progress or make things better.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is having trouble breathing. I wonder if you are able to tell me a bit more about what the vet saw on the xrays. If what was mentioned to you was "calcification in the lungs" then this can just be something normal. As dogs age we can see tiny little white spots on lung xrays that are areas of calcification. They're not a sign of disease and they don't cause coughing.

Now if there was just one large area that looks calcified then I would be more concerned about more serious things like cancer. But, lung cancer in dogs usually does not cause coughing until it is very widespread.

It's really hard to say what needs to be done with Benno. Can you tell me what your vet advised?

Dear Dr.Marie,
Thank you for your reply.
I would like to send you the X-ray pictures to explain his condition accurately.
Where could I send them?

The vet here said that X-ray shows a very fuggy lungs. It looks like a big white cloud is on where the lungs should be.
He doesn't cough, but his breathing seems labored with hoarse sound.

Sure. If you have a photo of the xrays you can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for sending me the photos. Unfortunately though, these xrays do not show the lungs at all. I am just seeing the abdomen and there is not enough detail for me to such much at all. And, I am not able to open the video that you sent. Perhaps you could try uploading it to Youtube?

Did the doctor give you any sort of diagnosis or tell you what the problem was likely to be?

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (41315 views)

Back leg shaking. My aging Pit bull terrier's back leg shakes like he has Parkinson's disease. Back... (5884 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (8688 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (16278 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (23447 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (6136 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (7881 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (6899 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (14596 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (25908 views)