Overdose of Xanax.

Breed: chihuahua
Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my 1 year old 6 pound long hair chihuaua and found the pill bottle,cant be sure he ate them all,he seems fine now i gave him a bowl of milk,any suggestions?" DONT HAVE MONEY FOR VET WHAT SHOULD I DO?WILL HE BE OK?

As you chose the free option, by now it is far too late for me to help. (I don't get the free questions till at least a week after they are asked. For urgent questions you need to use one of the paid options. I thought I would still answer this question though in case other people are searching for the same answer.

One of the problems is that we don't know exactly what dose of Xanax is toxic for dogs. A study on rats showed that 330mg/kg can be fatal and a dose as low as 195mg/kg can be very serious.

If your dog weighs 6 pounds (2.7kg) and ate 20mg of Alprazaolam (Xanax), then this would end up being a dosage of 20/2.7 = 7.4mg/kg which is nowhere near the toxic doses that are listed.

The veterinary drug formulary says that life threatening reactions to Xanax ingestion are rare in animals.

For others reading this, know that this is just a guideline. If your dog ate any type of medication, it is important to call your vet immediately!

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (14716 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (5686 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (8687 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (7967 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (4000 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (7738 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (7123 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (5576 views)

Limping on rear leg. Hello Dr. Marie! Buddy came to us about six months ago a stray. Though it was... (17477 views)

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (19373 views)