Overdose of Xanax.

Breed: chihuahua
Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my 1 year old 6 pound long hair chihuaua and found the pill bottle,cant be sure he ate them all,he seems fine now i gave him a bowl of milk,any suggestions?" DONT HAVE MONEY FOR VET WHAT SHOULD I DO?WILL HE BE OK?

As you chose the free option, by now it is far too late for me to help. (I don't get the free questions till at least a week after they are asked. For urgent questions you need to use one of the paid options. I thought I would still answer this question though in case other people are searching for the same answer.

One of the problems is that we don't know exactly what dose of Xanax is toxic for dogs. A study on rats showed that 330mg/kg can be fatal and a dose as low as 195mg/kg can be very serious.

If your dog weighs 6 pounds (2.7kg) and ate 20mg of Alprazaolam (Xanax), then this would end up being a dosage of 20/2.7 = 7.4mg/kg which is nowhere near the toxic doses that are listed.

The veterinary drug formulary says that life threatening reactions to Xanax ingestion are rare in animals.

For others reading this, know that this is just a guideline. If your dog ate any type of medication, it is important to call your vet immediately!

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (6312 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (5257 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (11463 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (51516 views)

Poodle with leg problems. My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started... (5452 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (15892 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (11588 views)

Sardine treats for my cat. Is this recipe for cat treats safe for my cat? 3/4 cup dry, whole wheat bread... (4906 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (7031 views)

Introducing kittens. Hi Dr. Marie, My name is Lauren, and I'm from Australia - I hope I haven't woken... (4835 views)