Overdose of Xanax.

Breed: chihuahua
Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my 1 year old 6 pound long hair chihuaua and found the pill bottle,cant be sure he ate them all,he seems fine now i gave him a bowl of milk,any suggestions?" DONT HAVE MONEY FOR VET WHAT SHOULD I DO?WILL HE BE OK?

As you chose the free option, by now it is far too late for me to help. (I don't get the free questions till at least a week after they are asked. For urgent questions you need to use one of the paid options. I thought I would still answer this question though in case other people are searching for the same answer.

One of the problems is that we don't know exactly what dose of Xanax is toxic for dogs. A study on rats showed that 330mg/kg can be fatal and a dose as low as 195mg/kg can be very serious.

If your dog weighs 6 pounds (2.7kg) and ate 20mg of Alprazaolam (Xanax), then this would end up being a dosage of 20/2.7 = 7.4mg/kg which is nowhere near the toxic doses that are listed.

The veterinary drug formulary says that life threatening reactions to Xanax ingestion are rare in animals.

For others reading this, know that this is just a guideline. If your dog ate any type of medication, it is important to call your vet immediately!

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (6832 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (9633 views)

Will mating kill my dog? i have had my dog for 2 weeks an she has just mated with my brothers dog but the... (6316 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (5269 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (47214 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (5642 views)

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (19270 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (27765 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (50121 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (21690 views)