Overdose of Xanax.

Breed: chihuahua
Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my 1 year old 6 pound long hair chihuaua and found the pill bottle,cant be sure he ate them all,he seems fine now i gave him a bowl of milk,any suggestions?" DONT HAVE MONEY FOR VET WHAT SHOULD I DO?WILL HE BE OK?

As you chose the free option, by now it is far too late for me to help. (I don't get the free questions till at least a week after they are asked. For urgent questions you need to use one of the paid options. I thought I would still answer this question though in case other people are searching for the same answer.

One of the problems is that we don't know exactly what dose of Xanax is toxic for dogs. A study on rats showed that 330mg/kg can be fatal and a dose as low as 195mg/kg can be very serious.

If your dog weighs 6 pounds (2.7kg) and ate 20mg of Alprazaolam (Xanax), then this would end up being a dosage of 20/2.7 = 7.4mg/kg which is nowhere near the toxic doses that are listed.

The veterinary drug formulary says that life threatening reactions to Xanax ingestion are rare in animals.

For others reading this, know that this is just a guideline. If your dog ate any type of medication, it is important to call your vet immediately!

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (27298 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (74246 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (7881 views)

Poodle with leg problems. My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started... (6143 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (6587 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (3830 views)

Eye problem. Chances eyes are really red all the time and gets a bunch of eye snot I clean it out... (7284 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (3438 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (5315 views)

My dog is grieving. Good Day Dr. In March of 2011 we lost Lucy (Coton du Tulear) to heart disease. ... (11528 views)